Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 12:51 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
I lived in the Bay Area in the 80's till 93. Back then......it was a rather nice place overall. I happened to live on the coast in Half Moon Bay and back then they had a building moratorium so growth was not an issue. it was peaceful, quiet, essentially crime free with friendly neighbors. The cost of living wasn't outrageous till the 90's hit then things started to get a bit out of control. My job stability was also at risk. Things were changing and they were going to take off the building moratorium so we saw what was coming as more and more wanted that lifestyle and didn't feel the commute over little Hwy92 a threat. Eventually we had to throw in the towel and head to what was then, a considerably more affordable living option in Salt Lake City.

25 years of living there and indeed wouldn't ya know it it began it's move towards overcrowding, overpriced homes, crime, horrid traffic, homeless issues, drug cartel issues and more. We pulled the plug on that selling our home and retiring to a nice rural place in Idaho (nowhere near Boise). Turned out thus far to be ideal. I think in the end it all comes down to what a person can afford, what they can tolerate and find to be the plusses and not bother with the minus angles of living. Some folks can tolerate ANYTHING. High taxes, crime, excessive traffic, excessive overall costs of living etc. are but some of the things that trip my trigger. I've gotta hand it to people that not only make a lot of $$$ enough to not worry about such things, but have a built in mental filter that doesn't allow issues to come to the forefront of their daily lives. Once again.....that ain't me. It takes a heck of a LOT more than just weather to attract me to an area. Bottom line for me is that California is so very far from what it was to ME in the 80's and I could never go back to what it's become.
I'm glad your move worked out for you.

For me, many of the things in your comment simply play like a broken record of talking points with little basis in reality. With the exception of an auto theft, it's a very small percentage of people that ever deal with any kind of a crime situation. It's simple enough just to look at the total amount of crimes committed and the overall population. I've barely experienced any crime, nor have most people I know (but in reading the comments on the internet, you think there was blood on the streets). And crime was statistically worse than it is now

I certainly doubt there is much in terms of homelessness in the Half Moon Bay area. I experienced none living on the Peninsula. In fact the only time I witnessed homelessness was when I worked in Union Square for a decade. And it's not like the nonsense you hear online about people shooting up everywhere, being aggressive, or attacking people. I never had any issues walking around at 5 or 6 in the morning in the darkness. Most homelessness tends to be in specific areas not running rampant all over San Francisco or the Peninsula (as people would like you to believe online).

Traffic? What major metropolitan area doesn't have traffic? There are very few areas where one is going to escape that. I currently have a 20 mi commute to work if I leave during rush hour it will take me over an hour (not much different from the Bay Area). Most pro-growth areas are certainly going to be experiencing a lot of traffic.

I'd even say the tax argument and overall costs are a little overblown for any native, long term residents of the Bay Area. We currently pay over $7k more in property tax and much higher home insurance. Overall cost (dollar amount) for utilities are also much higher. I also experience cost for lawn maintenance that was non-existent in the Bay Area. And then there's HOA fees that were also non-existent for us in our Bay Area home.

The weather in most areas of the country will in all likelihood be considerably worse than the Bay Area (I've highlighted that with the scorched earth and brutal winters we tend to have in Texas in this thread). Not to mention, the scenic beauty in my opinion is unmatched.

On a day-to-day basis, are these things that I get all that caught up with. No, not really (although having to stay in during times of inclement weather is not a lot of fun...but beats the alternative in heat stroke or death). There are pros and cons to everywhere. It's what you make of them that really matters.

Our overall move was fueled by one thing...a bigger home so the grand kids would have a comfortable place to stay when they visited as opposed to feeling like we are in a commune in our home in the Bay Area. This worked out well and with the booming growth of the area, a home we bought just 4 years ago has increased in value by over a quarter of a million dollars (and I'm not complaining in the least about that).

Ultimately I do think the affordability issue is what makes people so bitter and often times envious of people that still live in California. This in turn leads to insults and the feeling of having to validate why the new area is better. The affordability side is not as big of a deal for me and my wife since we still have the Prop 13 protections in place. And within the next 5 years, we very well may be coming back to the Bay Area. I'd say for any long time homeowners that are on the fence about staying in California. I'd recommend you hang on to your home and take a test drive of that new area you think may be your Utopia. Once you lose your Prop 13 benefits, then all bets are off.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-26-2024 at 01:20 AM..

Old 01-26-2024, 07:54 AM

6,699 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I'm glad your move worked out for you.

For me, many of the things in your comment simply play like a broken record of talking points with little basis in reality. With the exception of an auto theft, it's a very small percentage of people that ever deal with any kind of a crime situation. It's simple enough just to look at the total amount of crimes committed and the overall population. I've barely experienced any crime, nor have most people I know (but in reading the comments on the internet, you think there was blood on the streets). And crime was statistically worse than it is now

[SNIP]
I guess it depends how you like to spin it. San Francisco has become a sick joke. Every alley is strewn with needles and human feces. A journalist from India observed that the city is worse than the slums of Mumbai.

The city occasionally tries to clean up the needles and feces. Within a few days, it's all back. The dregs of humanity occupying the streets and parks does not leave; someone is supporting them and incentivizing them to stay, despite how they have ruined the city.

Insane homeless people wander into retail shops and commit violence or steal stuff or just scare away the customers, and anyone who tries to stop them risks becoming a victim of violence. The police do nothing. The city doesn't care. I have seen many interviews with long time business owners, bakers, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, who have given up on the place and are closing up shop and moving away.

There are commercial areas where almost all of the storefronts are boarded up and covered with graffiti. Corporate offices have closed and moved to other states. Oracle in '22 moved its huge annual "Open World" conference to Las Vegas from Moskone Center because SF had become "difficult". Tesla HQ moved to Austin.

Tourists and locals alike now expect their vehicles to be broken into. It's not "if", it's "when". People are leaving their cars unlocked with windows down, putting signs saying "nothing to steal" and so forth.

There are many videos of looter gangs stripping stores bare. Walgreen's has closed most of its locations around the city, and other chains are following suit.

Meanwhile, the remaining residents are living in a state of denial. Okay, let's give them credit; they did recall the Marxist son-of-terrorists Chesa Boudin and replaced him with a slightly less insane prosecutor yet the place is still circling the toilet. They have to beg businesses not to leave, at this point; it's beyond pathetic.

Apologists saying "meh crime's down" are living in fantasyland. San Francisco is dying, and LA is not far behind.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:22 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I guess it depends how you like to spin it. San Francisco has become a sick joke. Every alley is strewn with needles and human feces. A journalist from India observed that the city is worse than the slums of Mumbai.

The city occasionally tries to clean up the needles and feces. Within a few days, it's all back. The dregs of humanity occupying the streets and parks does not leave; someone is supporting them and incentivizing them to stay, despite how they have ruined the city.

Insane homeless people wander into retail shops and commit violence or steal stuff or just scare away the customers, and anyone who tries to stop them risks becoming a victim of violence. The police do nothing. The city doesn't care. I have seen many interviews with long time business owners, bakers, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, who have given up on the place and are closing up shop and moving away.

There are commercial areas where almost all of the storefronts are boarded up and covered with graffiti. Corporate offices have closed and moved to other states. Oracle in '22 moved its huge annual "Open World" conference to Las Vegas from Moskone Center because SF had become "difficult". Tesla HQ moved to Austin.

Tourists and locals alike now expect their vehicles to be broken into. It's not "if", it's "when". People are leaving their cars unlocked with windows down, putting signs saying "nothing to steal" and so forth.

There are many videos of looter gangs stripping stores bare. Walgreen's has closed most of its locations around the city, and other chains are following suit.

Meanwhile, the remaining residents are living in a state of denial. Okay, let's give them credit; they did recall the Marxist son-of-terrorists Chesa Boudin and replaced him with a slightly less insane prosecutor yet the place is still circling the toilet. They have to beg businesses not to leave, at this point; it's beyond pathetic.

Apologists saying "meh crime's down" are living in fantasyland. San Francisco is dying, and LA is not far behind.
I got as far as "Every alley is strewn with needles", which is complete hog wash, and stopped reading. No need to waste time with nonsense and hyperbole. Replies like this are a great example of why people get tired of the bashere that come into forums like these.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:40 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
None of which address the issue of whether or not Texas summer heat waves are biologically safe / sane for much human physical activity.

Joey Chestnut set a world hot dog eating record in 2021: 76 dogs and buns in 10 minutes.
Because he can do it, anyone can … and it’s perfectly healthy to do so. Right?
If it wasn't somewhat safe to be outside in the heat I would have been dead or suffered negative consequences decades ago, and literally all of my relatives and friends who live here too.

And recall 40% of the world's population live in the tropics.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:41 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What i don't get is Californians leaving, then voting to change where they moved to into a clone of California?

High taxes, soft on crime, homelessness, welcoming illegal immigrants...
Let me take a stab at this. Its a very simplistic argument.

I left California in 2010. I did not leave because I hated it, I did not leave for political reasons. I left because my job was moved from LA to Dallas. I gladly accepted the transfer as we knew we could never afford the life we wanted in Los Angeles due to the cost of living. We visited Dallas before hand, my Dad at the time lived in Houston, and we liked it. We moved to Houston in 2015 and we like it even better.

This idea of "Dont California my Texas" is a scare tactic more than it is based in reality. When we vote for Democrats in Texas (and we absolutely do), its not because we want the more fringe laws California flirts we its because we want to avoid crap like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...e-s-rcna135499

But this is also ridiculous:

https://abc7.com/california-speed-li...nors/14358919/

You have to also remember, there are a lot of liberals in Texas. Texas isnt some far right state by population, we just have a far right government. One could make a similar argument for California in reverse. In fact if I still lived in California, Id probably vote Republican locally (but not nationally).

What I see as an American, not a Californian or Texan, is that when one party dominates, normal people suffer. So in Texas, I want less Republicans in power. In California, Id want less Democrats. Its not because I hated where I left (I love my home state) or I hate where I am (the cities in Texas are amazing), its because I hate crazy. And, TBH, both California and Texas are pure nuts at their state government level because one party has too much power.

As to the premise of this article, yes I agree. $hit talking where youre from is a pathetic display.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:41 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But what if you really, really REALLY enjoy swampa$$?
That can be a thing.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
This talk about the temperatures is so grossly exaggerated. Coastal California is the literal only place in the continental US with mild weather year round. The rest of us have to choose between cold winters and hot summers. Both of which, if you stay outside all day, can cause harm.

Stuff like "you cant even go outside half the year" is so damn stupid and comes from a place of being so sheltered you cant imagine life outside Coastal California weather. Yes those of us who live in places like the South or the Midwest or the Northeast or anywhere not Coastal California have to come inside at times when its too hot or cold. We live just fine with it. For me, Ill still go running in the middle of July at 4 in the afternoon but not everyone can handle that. When I lived in Chicago, I practically lived indoors during the winter but lots of people still go outside because they handle the cold fine. Its to each their own.

Not everyone can handle it and they stay indoors except to go to work or to the store or whatever. Thats just how life is if you cant afford to live in Coastal California.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:48 AM

24,498 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
In my area of Texas, I find his comment to be pretty true (I'd say 4 1/2 months instead of 6 months). I Believe the author said "need" not "forced". But it is like the zombie apocalypse for a good 3 and 1/2 months at least during the summer and then maybe collectively about a month in the winter.

i think the indoor thing in Texas is a personal preference.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:14 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
You didn't have to move to North Atlanta, though. It wasn't like your only choices were Los Banos or Atlanta.

You could have moved to the Sacramento region, which has much less crime than Atlanta, and lived in the Sierra Foothills. You could have done this for the same price you paid to be in Atlanta and still had access to everything you did when you lived in Pleasanton.

I visited "Hotlanta" as they call it, several times about 5 years ago. It sprawls worse than Orange County and you can cut the racial tension with a knife. They don't like Latinos, either, and think all of us are "illegals". You can have Atlanta!
I was using Los banos as an example because it was one of my friends who suggested it.
When i left California it wasn’t because I hated it, I was a proud native of the state. I moved for business opportunities.
If you look at my city I’m not in Atlanta but on the northern edge just outside. Where I live crime is pretty low and schools top rated.
Being in the Sierra foothills I would have way less access to amenities I had in Pleasanton without driving into Sacramento
Pay for the same house, not likely. I paid the same for house here that is 3 times larger in a great neighborhood. 5200 sq ft. It has an in-law apartment I rent out that covers most of my piti which is not found in a small house in California. The apartment is almost the same as a small tract home in California.
My property taxes are 1800 a year versus 7,000 I would pay on a lesser house in California.
My registration for my f150, Lexus ls460, mclaren and Ferrari costs 80 total and smog checks for,all totaled 56. California is way higher.
Where I live I have all the amenities I had in Pleasanton close at hand.
I said before a California friend visited who lives in Pleasanton in a 3.5 million home.
He said he had no idea what it was like here in Georgia. He thought it was great. Dropping him off at the airport he said, “this was way different Than I expected . You have a great life here and I can see why you wouldn’t want to come back California “

As far as racism, where I am at I haven’t experienced it where I live. I had more racial encounters in California.
I’m Asian so I’m every bit aware of it as you are.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:19 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This talk about the temperatures is so grossly exaggerated. Coastal California is the literal only place in the continental US with mild weather year round. The rest of us have to choose between cold winters and hot summers. Both of which, if you stay outside all day, can cause harm.

Stuff like "you cant even go outside half the year" is so damn stupid and comes from a place of being so sheltered you cant imagine life outside Coastal California weather. Yes those of us who live in places like the South or the Midwest or the Northeast or anywhere not Coastal California have to come inside at times when its too hot or cold. We live just fine with it. For me, Ill still go running in the middle of July at 4 in the afternoon but not everyone can handle that. When I lived in Chicago, I practically lived indoors during the winter but lots of people still go outside because they handle the cold fine. Its to each their own.

Not everyone can handle it and they stay indoors except to go to work or to the store or whatever. Thats just how life is if you cant afford to live in Coastal California.

Im outside often in 108f type weather. I kind of enjoy it now. It feels quiet and peaceful to me. I imagine its similar to a cold snowy day to people out east. Its Not bad if you can get some shade relief from time to time. There's usually a desert breeze when it gets super hot here, which helps. The biggest issue with dry heat is that it roasts cars and houses up. Getting inside a hot car feels like stepping into an oven. An older house will sometimes struggle staying cool, too. People on the coast dont know any of this tho. A lot of them imagine everyone stays inside whenever the heat goes over 90f! But reality is that most towns dont slow down much until the temps get to about 105f. Thats when a lot of people start hibernating for reals. Coasties also forget that relief is a short drive away for many. Drive up the hill and youre 12-15f degrees cooler. 25f cooler once you get to the mountains. Not to mention rivers and lakes are also nearby for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California