Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 2 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,532,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The one guy in this thread flat out said people who claim to do much of anything outside in Houston during the summer are liars.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the money angle. Lots of people can afford to live in coastal CA and choose not to. Although, maybe I'm misreading your intent.
My argument wasnt that anyone who can afford to does. At this point in my life, I can afford to leave Houston and move back to the LA Area. I choose not to. Los Angeles is an extremely difficult city to live in due to the COL and how hard it is to get around. If I was going to move back to California, it would be to Sacramento. Its a hidden gem IMO. But Id move back to the Midwest and suffer the winters or Id move to Atlanta or DC (NOVA/Maryland) before back to California. Thats just me, but I will say the Midwest is fast becoming my favorite region in country. My wife and I are looking at summer homes in Wisconsin not because we have to or we cant survive the summers, but because the COL here is so reasonable we can afford to so why not? We can turn it into a hunting lodge in winter for people to use.

And yes one trip to Memorial Park anytime in the afternoon in the summer would prove liars out of people who claim people do nothing outdoors in Houston in summer.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:44 AM

256 posts, read 117,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I guess it depends how you like to spin it. San Francisco has become a sick joke. Every alley is strewn with needles and human feces. A journalist from India observed that the city is worse than the slums of Mumbai.

The city occasionally tries to clean up the needles and feces. Within a few days, it's all back. The dregs of humanity occupying the streets and parks does not leave; someone is supporting them and incentivizing them to stay, despite how they have ruined the city.

Insane homeless people wander into retail shops and commit violence or steal stuff or just scare away the customers, and anyone who tries to stop them risks becoming a victim of violence. The police do nothing. The city doesn't care. I have seen many interviews with long time business owners, bakers, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, who have given up on the place and are closing up shop and moving away.

There are commercial areas where almost all of the storefronts are boarded up and covered with graffiti. Corporate offices have closed and moved to other states. Oracle in '22 moved its huge annual "Open World" conference to Las Vegas from Moskone Center because SF had become "difficult". Tesla HQ moved to Austin.

Tourists and locals alike now expect their vehicles to be broken into. It's not "if", it's "when". People are leaving their cars unlocked with windows down, putting signs saying "nothing to steal" and so forth.

There are many videos of looter gangs stripping stores bare. Walgreen's has closed most of its locations around the city, and other chains are following suit.

Meanwhile, the remaining residents are living in a state of denial. Okay, let's give them credit; they did recall the Marxist son-of-terrorists Chesa Boudin and replaced him with a slightly less insane prosecutor yet the place is still circling the toilet. They have to beg businesses not to leave, at this point; it's beyond pathetic.

Apologists saying "meh crime's down" are living in fantasyland. San Francisco is dying, and LA is not far behind.
Very accurate representation of San Francisco, blisterpeanuts.....needles, needles everywhere.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Im outside often in 108f type weather. I kind of enjoy it now. It feels quiet and peaceful to me. I imagine its similar to a cold snowy day to people out east. Its Not bad if you can get some shade relief from time to time. There's usually a desert breeze when it gets super hot here, which helps. The biggest issue with dry heat is that it roasts cars and houses up. Getting inside a hot car feels like stepping into an oven. An older house will sometimes struggle staying cool, too. People on the coast dont know any of this tho. A lot of them imagine everyone stays inside whenever the heat goes over 90f! But reality is that most towns dont slow down much until the temps get to about 105f. Thats when a lot of people start hibernating for reals. Coasties also forget that relief is a short drive away for many. Drive up the hill and youre 12-15f degrees cooler. 25f cooler once you get to the mountains. Not to mention rivers and lakes are also nearby for most.
That's the whole point. This notion that somehow people dont go outside and hibernate all summer in the South or all winter in the North must stem from people who haven't spent much time in those climates or first year transplants dealing with the shell shock. But the later goes away by year two usually.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:51 AM

256 posts, read 117,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Feel free to show me on your report where it says..."Every alley is strewn with needles" with proof of that. I'll wait.
You didn't ask me, but I happen to have that link handy

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63462...nd-human-feces

Old 01-26-2024, 01:44 PM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times
My brother who lives in 90272 was visiting me this week in Az. He told me his car had been broken into four times over the past 18 months. Twice in front of his house, once while he was grocery shopping and another in Venice.

He has lived in the house for 30 years and up until several months ago always parked in the driveway. Now the car stays inside the garage. He also said there has been an increase in "knock-knock” burglaries.

Now, my loves brothers love Pacific Palisades and isn’t leaving but he is concerned about the increase in crime.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, it kind was. Not a Stillborn per se, but not gonna make it and a danger to the mother. While I get the law isn't supposed to be that way exactly, but Ken Paxton made legal threats to anyone who aided her. His assistant made it seem fine, but Ken Paxton has the power and he is an evil scumbag. I often lament its too bad there isnt a hell for him to go to:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kate-co...on-trisomy-18/

Well, for starters, you did say a stillborn, then you backpedaled that. So what else are you backpedaling on?

Old 01-27-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And you continue to ignore the point previously made [that for the vast majority of humanity, high heat and humidity are grossly limiting to activity and mortality dangerous].

That fractional numbers of Homo sapiens can tolerate and function in high temperatures/ humidity does not mean those conditions are tolerable and healthy for the majority. They are not. Which is why there are health bulletins and public service warnings about excessive heat, public cooling centers set up, energy providers plead for users to conserve, welfare checks urged for elderly and disabled and homeless, all while media broadcast coverage of heat events coast to coast. And. People. Drop. Dead from heat-related health crises.

You tolerate heat well? Good for you. Really. Nice since you like living where you do. Now try eating 76 hot dogs - with buns - in 10 minutes. Give Joey Chestnut a run for his championship belt.

Your cavalier dismissiveness is scientifically and historically unsupportable.

Have a nice day. Stay warm.
You are either:

a) Playing devils advocate and arguing for the sake of arguing.

b) So out of touch with the entire Contiguous United States that you cannot fathom how people can live without mild temperatures all year round.

Yes, its hot in the South and Southwest in the summer. Yes its cold in the Northeast, Mountain West, and Midwest in winter. Yes, if you stayed outside all day long in either environment it would be hazardous. HOWEVER, no one ever stays outside all day long. We go outside for shorter intervals and still do things like exercise, hike, sit on patios, and the like in heat or go ice fishing, skating, or play hockey in the cold.

Where do people get this absolutely ASININE notion that people who don't live in Coastal California spend months indoors for 3-4 months while barely leaving???? Heat and cold can both kill you, we know. That's why people in Minnesota just dont walk outside in shorts and a t-shirt in winter and why people in Texas carry water around with them in the summer.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, for starters, you did say a stillborn, then you backpedaled that. So what else are you backpedaling on?
I misspoke and corrected it. I stand by everything else I said. Ken Paxton is an evil scumbag who tried to prevent a woman whose life was in danger carrying a fetus who had no chance of survival from getting an abortion. Since he enforces the law, its the same as their being a law for it. That is all there is to it.

I also standby that Texas and California both are victims of runaway ideology where the hard left and hard right take the states in directions that the average citizen would not want.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I misspoke and corrected it. I stand by everything else I said. Ken Paxton is an evil scumbag who tried to prevent a woman whose life was in danger carrying a fetus who had no chance of survival from getting an abortion. Since he enforces the law, its the same as their being a law for it. That is all there is to it.
Well, if you say it, it must be true.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, if you say it, it must be true.
Enjoy Ohio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California