Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times

Advertisements

I hope they jack up the auto insurance rates for people with GPS units. Bad enough the rest of us have to avoid the idiots on cell phones drifting into our lanes now.

How the hell can you drive safely when not looking at the road????

These things should only be audible in a vehicle. Not visual.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
Tough to do considering they are hand-held. Mine is in the drawer right now so it'd be hard to know I even own one. For the ones built-in to a car, I can see some sense in the visual portion not displaying when you're moving. I agree, I do not get how you can drive and look at it at the same time. I guess maybe if it's mounted in line of sight with the road, but for me that's still too confusing.

I resisted GPS for that reason, but boy do I love mine, and as I said, I pretty much only listen to it when I'm driving. I definitely never follow the map, I don't really need that when something is telling me, "turn in 100 ft" that's enough for me, I don't need the visual.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
Tough to do considering they are hand-held. Mine is in the drawer right now so it'd be hard to know I even own one. For the ones built-in to a car, I can see some sense in the visual portion not displaying when you're moving. I agree, I do not get how you can drive and look at it at the same time. I guess maybe if it's mounted in line of sight with the road, but for me that's still too confusing.

I resisted GPS for that reason, but boy do I love mine, and as I said, I pretty much only listen to it when I'm driving. I definitely never follow the map, I don't really need that when something is telling me, "turn in 100 ft" that's enough for me, I don't need the visual.
I've been using GPS in the car for 8 years now. Being able to see the screen while driving is very useful but varies with the GPS model. Once you get used to the display layout, you train yourself to take very quick glances at it. A well designed display can convey useful information in a glance. A poorly designed unit can distract the user and be a hazard. The voice prompts are good but sometimes a mouthful of a command can better be conveyed with a quick glance at the screen.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 PM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
Escape, I can see that definitely, like many things, you get used to it/takes practice. I think it's up to the individual, I just hope the ones who are lame like me decide not to look. Just like the cell phone, I think some people can have a conversation and pay better attention to traffic than others, just depends on the person.

Cell phones, GPS, satellite radio all do combine to create a lot of distractions though -- but who knows how long we'll be driving anyway if we don't find another fuel source.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
You certainly don't want to be entering destinations or fiddling with controls on your unit while driving, but like someone else said, you learn to just take quick glances at it. Sitting on the dashboard, above the radio, I don't think it's any more distracting than the speedometer or fuel gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post

How the hell can you drive safely when not looking at the road????

Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
You certainly don't want to be entering destinations or fiddling with controls on your unit while driving, but like someone else said, you learn to just take quick glances at it. Sitting on the dashboard, above the radio, I don't think it's any more distracting than the speedometer or fuel gauge.
And certainly less distracting than fumbling with a Thomas Guide or directions printed off the Internet.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And certainly less distracting than fumbling with a Thomas Guide or directions printed off the Internet.
Thomas Guide - yes.

Google Maps - no.

If you've got a good brain, you can look at a set of instructions and get a general sense for your destination. If there's a lot of turns in city streets near the end, you can glance at it to look at the street name. Looking at a map to me is a lot more distracting than looking at directions - if you read in a nanosecond like most 20-30 something year olds can.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Hi all. I have been checking out the different brands of GPS devices for my car, and guess what. They are illegal in CA and one other state. Don't you think this state has enough stupid, useless laws? If they want to crack down on devices that distrack drivers, why not nail all the people who use cell phones while driving. Cuss words!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, well, then why do they sell them here? It is a dumb law, I agree. Just like I gear glass-packs, radar detectors and license plate covers...why the heck are they allowed to sell them here if they're illegal? Am I missing something? And what about the new cars that automatically come with GPS built in, or 'onstar'? How do they explain that? (We're not parting withours just 'because')...and Id like to see the person who made that law...his car...if he has one, hmm. <curious>

Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Thomas Guide - yes.

Google Maps - no.

If you've got a good brain, you can look at a set of instructions and get a general sense for your destination. If there's a lot of turns in city streets near the end, you can glance at it to look at the street name. Looking at a map to me is a lot more distracting than looking at directions - if you read in a nanosecond like most 20-30 something year olds can.
And when you miss a turn somewhere or there's an unexpected road closure, your pre-written instructions are useless since it won't tell you where you are or how to get back where you're going.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Well, yes that is a rather silly law, but California is known for that.
I just put mine on the top of the dash, and have yet to be stopped for it anyplace I've been.
If you live anywhere on the eastern seaboard you NEED GPS!
I lived in New Jersey and GPS was absolutely essential to getting around, everyone was using GPS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California