Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i drove through Fresno a few weeks to and from Yosemite and was quite surprised with how nasty the air looked in the valley. It was pretty much the same all the way to the grapevine. i live in LA and really don't see how our air could be worse. maybe the particulate matter floating around in fresno isn't as unhealthy as it is in LA, i dunno.
Yes it does look bad when your above it looking down to the valley, I'm not saying LA's air is worst, it's was very congested with traffic at the times and it was probably the vehicle exhaust that set it off, it's just an example that everybody in the valley is not going to drop dead. Every body is differant and has differant likes and dislikes, I find the valley fine, just like anywhere I've lived I look at the positives. I wasn't putting down LA, I like to visit from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,323 times
Default Read first then type huh...

DUDE...

Read the FACTS that I posted and where I got them from...all you need to do is Google and check it out yourself...

All the information is from legitimate sources (SF Chronicle, etc.)...go back further Roaddog and you'll see I did live in FRESNO...THAT'S HOW I KNOW ITS A TURD PILE...

Bashing???...sure, I suppose...I want people that are even slightly considering moving here to know what they, and maybe their kids, are in for......I'm done and this is it for me.......I know, I know...GOOD!!!

FRESNO SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Say goodnight Johnny.........................GOOD NIGHT!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Well once again here is the EPA ( http://www.airnow.gov) data of unhealthy air days in several cities

Fresno County - 19 days in 2007 but down from the peak of 69 in 2000

San Bernardino County -

Riverside County -

Los Angeles County -

Kern County -

Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,880 times
Default Fyi

Off of the EPA website you posted. Cook, IL is Chicago, King is Seattle. I live in Shaver and hate having to come into Fresno.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Yes but look at the trend downward for Fresno County.

And also notice that Fresno County has not had a "very unhealthy" day since 2003. Yet Riverside, San Bernardino and Los Angeles Counties call continue to have higher pollution peaks and more unhealthy days.

And lets look at the ozone pattern in the valley, this is an 8 hour loop of air quality. Notice that the worse quality builds along the foothills and Sierras before entering the Fresno area. I hate to tell you this but most days the foothills and mountains see earlier and longer bad air than Fresno. Watch for the yellow and green areas.

This is one day but I can give you additional days that show the same pattern.

http://www.epa.gov/airnow/2008/20080915/8a-sjv1.gif (broken link)

Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 PM

I also wanted to point out that although Sacramento only had 2 unhealthy air days last year, one of those was "very unhealthy".

And over the last few years Sacramento (which benefits from the Delta winds) still had
2006 - 11 total unhealthy days vs. Fresno's 16 days
2005 - 16 unhealthy days vs. Fresno's 19 days
2004 - 0 unhealthy days vs. Fresno's 4

That is really a slim difference considering the afternoon breeze in Sacramento nearly every day.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,880 times
Wink Call it what you will...

But can I ask you this...where does the air polution in the SJV's foothills and mountains come from? Fresno? Bakersfield? Visalia? All of the above. The trees don't make the pollution. The fact of the matter is that the air quality in the valley is bad and effects all the area's around it. Your ozone pattern time lapse proves that. The valley is it's own pollution bowl and spills into areas that should never be effected by such things. I checked out one of the other entries facts and the valley, Fresno in particular, has one of the highest asthma rates in California...something has to cause that. Across the board Fresno may not be #1 but it is still one of most polluted cities.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpHi View Post
But can I ask you this...where does the air polution in the SJV's foothills and mountains come from? Fresno? Bakersfield? Visalia? All of the above. The trees don't make the pollution. The fact of the matter is that the air quality in the valley is bad and effects all the area's around it. Your ozone pattern time lapse proves that. The valley is it's own pollution bowl and spills into areas that should never be effected by such things. I checked out one of the other entries facts and the valley, Fresno in particular, has one of the highest asthma rates in California...something has to cause that. Across the board Fresno may not be #1 but it is still one of most polluted cities.
This is true. I'm guessing that the stats you all are looking at don't include this year. There were some "purple" (worse than red) days in the valley this year due to fires. Bottom line, the air pollution in Fresno is bad enough to make some people leave, so it is something people considering moving in should consider.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
But can I ask you this...where does the air polution in the SJV's foothills and mountains come from? Fresno? Bakersfield? Visalia? All of the above.
If you watch the time lapse the pollution moves up from the south. Fresno stays in green (meaning good air) until late in the day. So maybe we should both blame Bakersfield.

Quote:
The trees don't make the pollution. The fact of the matter is that the air quality in the valley is bad and effects all the area's around it. Your ozone pattern time lapse proves that. The valley is it's own pollution bowl and spills into areas that should never be effected by such things.
Not completely true. Other areas cause the Valley problems too.

For example, the Valley has an air quality alert today BUT it is due to the fires in the Sierras.

Darn those trees in the mountains, they should keep their pollution up there and not send it where it doesn't belong.
Quote:
Air pollution officials warn that smoke from two stubborn fires will impact air quality across the San Joaquin Valley for the next few days.

The San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District said Wednesday that particulate matter from a 3,700-acre blaze in Sequoia National Park and another 9,400-acre blaze in Kings Canyon National Park could cause health issues for people with respiratory and heart problems.
I'll never say that the Valley has clear air, but it is much improved and the trend appears to be that it will continue to improve. I just happened to be reading this news this morning:
Quote:
U.S. EPA says San Joaquin Valley air basin meets some pollution standards
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it has redesignated the San Joaquin Valley air basin to “attainment” for the national ambient air quality standard for coarse particulate matter, called PM-10.
And my own experiences are different than what is posted here. I developed my allergies years ago when I was younger and living on the Central Coast, just a few miles from the ocean (not while living in the Valley).

In my family, the few who live in the Central Valley have never developed asthma. BUT my sister who lives in the Inland Empire in Southern California has a child who now has asthma. Her kids have never lived anywhere but the Inland Empire.

So air quality is something to consider for living choices but respiratory problems are not unique to the Valley.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESNOBLOWSS View Post
DUDE...

Read the FACTS that I posted and where I got them from...all you need to do is Google and check it out yourself...

All the information is from legitimate sources (SF Chronicle, etc.)...go back further Roaddog and you'll see I did live in FRESNO...THAT'S HOW I KNOW ITS A TURD PILE...

Bashing???...sure, I suppose...I want people that are even slightly considering moving here to know what they, and maybe their kids, are in for......I'm done and this is it for me.......I know, I know...GOOD!!!

FRESNO SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Say goodnight Johnny.........................GOOD NIGHT!
Sorry you are so hung up on it, even your name shows you may need some therapy to get past your feelings, maybe if you get a life then you can let go of the past and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California