Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM

366 posts, read 1,013,569 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what areas are decent that are reasonably affordable for someone almost 30 and single considerring relocating to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,196,700 times
Could you be a bit more specific? I mean, do you want a bigger city? All of the places that a younger person would want to live are expensive, even by California standards. But I'll try to help you out if you give me some more info about what you're looking for. Of the three big cities in California (San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego), I most often recommend San Diego because although it is very expensive it is less expensive than the other two cities.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:13 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,498,791 times
Please define "affordable". What kind of work do you do, and do you have any idea of what you can expect to make if you move out here?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
I think we need one of these for California

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ed-stupid.html

Here's one that would belong in the City Data Hall of Fame:

"My two year old is in the gifted and talented program at her daycare, which is actually an early childhood learning center. She plans to go to Harvard and then pursue a career in international non-profit business. Which elementary school, out of the thousands in Colorado, should she attend to give her an edge in these plans? Which should she absolutely NOT attend? The school will determine where we live; we don't care how long we have to drive to our jobs."

Old 06-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Could you be a bit more specific? I mean, do you want a bigger city? All of the places that a younger person would want to live are expensive, even by California standards. But I'll try to help you out if you give me some more info about what you're looking for. Of the three big cities in California (San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego), I most often recommend San Diego because although it is very expensive it is less expensive than the other two cities.
I'm open to both smaller and larger cities, but nothing extremely small or extremely rural. I've lived in large cities and smaller ones (Asheville has about 70,000 ppl) It doesn't have to be a huge metropolis like LA or San Diego, but I'm not necessarily opposed to that. A friend of mine with family in Sacremento has suggested looking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Please define "affordable". What kind of work do you do, and do you have any idea of what you can expect to make if you move out here?
I have a feeling most everywhere in Califorina will be too expensive, but it doesn't hurt to get some info. As for what kind of work I do, I manage an outdoor power equipment store(lawn mowers/chainsaws/ trimmers etc for both consumer and professional usage) and like a lot of people am not and have not ever worked in my degreed field. I've had some difficulty trying to find out what a job like this would pay in various cities there, but I'm still looking.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think we need one of these for California

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ed-stupid.html

Here's one that would belong in the City Data Hall of Fame:

"My two year old is in the gifted and talented program at her daycare, which is actually an early childhood learning center. She plans to go to Harvard and then pursue a career in international non-profit business. Which elementary school, out of the thousands in Colorado, should she attend to give her an edge in these plans? Which should she absolutely NOT attend? The school will determine where we live; we don't care how long we have to drive to our jobs."
my post may very well have been way too vague, but it's not even in the same class of post as the one you quoted about the 2 year old.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:40 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
my post may very well have been way too vague, but it's not even in the same class of post as the one you quoted about the 2 year old.
You're right; thankfully we have a sense of humor. (The post I quoted was a joke from the thread above.)

You should search the threads on the forums and fine tune your post.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're right; thankfully we have a sense of humor. (The post I quoted was a joke from the thread above.)

You should search the threads on the forums and fine tune your post.
lol..will do

Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 PM

136 posts, read 547,268 times
Prices are down all over the state, what is your price range? Roseville is a nice area and I know someone who just purchased a newly built home for just over $300K.
It's 2000 sq feet with lots of extras.
There are areas with very cheap homes, but most likely those aren't areas you're going to want to live or be able to find work.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,699,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
Just wondering what areas are decent that are reasonably affordable for someone almost 30 and single considerring relocating to California.
This theme is becoming so common it's making my head spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California