Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM

21 posts, read 157,684 times

Advertisements

does anyone know anything about santa clarita?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Somewhat upscale, suburban, master planned, chain restaurants, big-box stores, car centric, 10 miles north of the San Fernando Valley, 40 miles to downtown LA, 40 miles to desert and beach. The city has done some things right with their "urban trails" network of bike and walking paths. The City of Santa Clarita is surrounded by non-incorporated communities of LA County, i.e. Saugus, Stevenson Ranch, Castaic and others. Total population of the city and surrounding communities is around 1/2 million.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-08-2007 at 11:34 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
The area is very beautiful, and there's hardly any congestion. There was little developed in the area 35 years ago, but it has grown drastically. The area can be quite pricey in certain areas, but the whole area is very decent. Average Summer Highs mid 90's...Average Winter Low is 37...There is a major amusement park of which is extremely popular among Southern Californians...It's called Magic Mountain, it has 10-15 intense rollercoasters and a Water Park by it's side. The area has rolling hills, even though they aren't green. There is a County Prison and Juvenille Corrections Facility but those are 5-10 miles away. Santa Clarita is a peaceful place to escape the Los Angeles Congestion, another good location is Simi Valley. Where exactly are you coming from? Hope I could help.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Default Magic Mountain, replaced by homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
There is a major amusement park...called Magic Mountain....
Magic Mountain's days are numbered. From what I hear it's been sold and will be replaced by housing. The massive Newhall Ranch project will add around 20,000 housing units from Santa Clarita west along the Santa Clara River to the county line. Santa Clarita is still nice, but the area is growing fast. If your choice comes down to all things equal but want less congestion, I'd opt for Simi Valley. It's in a different county with completely different growth policies.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-08-2007 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM

dusesean1986....I'm coming from ny and its gonna be a culture shock for me..lol I'm really nervous My husband is already in ca working he hasnt really looked aroung yet for houses to rent he just got there last week,It's hard to move some where u never even seen guess I'm gonna have to trust him.I lived in ny all my life and only been to the surronding states and not too many of them either ny,pa,conn.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,068 times
Unhappy Look Out !!!

I moved here from Chicago in the early 80's. It was a culture shock, but a great place to live. Now it has a mall, plenty of chain eateries, planned housing tracks, and traffic from hell. They have put houses and condos on every hill with still only two ways in and out of that valley. If you or your husband are commuting to work the 14 and the 5 freeway will be your life. If you are not on the 5 or 14 fwy by about 5am you better wait till at least 9am to leave, cuz you will still be sitting there. The weekends are nightmare. Soladad Cyn Road, ie. is a parking lot as well. Other than that its a great place to live, just expect to live with road rage. Oh and never seeing the commuting spouse.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
Growth has made the Santa Clarita Valley its own urban-like area without the urban-like jobs or urban-like amenities. Sure, the homes and greenbelts are pleasant, and if you didn't need to leave much it could be a nice life. But it's quite warm in the summer and traffic-clogged much of the time, and Chili's is a nice night out.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM

57 posts, read 296,617 times
Wink I'm moving to New York!

Hi! My in-laws live in Santa Clarita. I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, and we want out! You can do much better than Santa Clarita. The houses are all "cookie cutter". Very planned developements however the schools out there are good. If your husband and you are planning on working outside of Santa Clarita like in downtown L.A. or in the valley ... BEWARE OF TRAFFIC! The congestion going from Santa Clarita in the morning and back towards it at night from around 5pm to 7pm... is a nightmare!!!!!! I work with a lot of friends who live in Santa Clarita but they work 5:30am to 2pm , so they are o.k. with the commute. I can recommend nice places to live if you tell me where you are working. I grew up in Burbank. Now we live in Shadow Hills. It is about 5 minutes from Burbank, but you get a lot for the money. Most homes here are on 1/2 an acre and it's horse property as well. We are planning on moving to Warwick. Know anything about that area of New York? Don't be scared. You'll like the weather out here.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Hi! Warwick is in the hudson valley and that where I live...It's about 35 minutes from me but a nice area.Most all schools up here are good but there arent many really good jobs,unless you plan on working in nyc which alot of people do commute the highways arent as congested as there the streets in nyc are but not in traffic for hours but you would be about 45 minutes an hour away from nyc. Well theres mostly little towns lots of malls and plaza Are you prepared for snow and colddddd winters..lolFall here is beautiful you will love it!! Even though this winter has been really warm so far. If your used to city life it might be a little boring to you but its nice for families. The summers are never extremely hot mid 80's but can get humid I hear there is no humidity in ca. My husband is working in lancaster...Is it true west lancaster is nice? Is there anyplace else you can suggest? Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM

57 posts, read 296,617 times
Wink Friend who's moving to Warwick

If you are working in Lancaster, Santa Clarita, Saugus, and Palmdale. Valencia has a nice mall, movie theatres, ect. I asked my husband for you, and he's the one who recommended Palmdale. You can get a house within an affordable range there. People that can't afford a house out here in the valley go out to Palmdale, and can afford a brand new home. Lots of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California