Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
I am trying to find that perfect place to go, and am looking for advice from this forum. We are a conservative Republican family and want that idyllic "Leave It To Beaver" experience for our children. The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great. Having an ocean nearby (1-2 hrs) is a plus. We like fine homes and lots of space, and would want to be in a place where upper class neighborhoods with 4000-6000 square foot homes are common on at least an acre of land. We can't be off in the backwoods either, we would need to be near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants, etc. Pricewise, somewhere in the $1.5M-$2M range. And somewhere that is not crawling with illegal aliens...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Here is an unusual suggestion. If I hadn't lived in the area myself I would never believe it could have so many advantages.

1) 4 seasons YES
2) Ocean nearby YES
3) Fine Homes,upper class neighborhoods YES
4) near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants YES
5) someplace cooler than CA YES except for maybe 20 bad summer days

The Mystery Location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Here is an unusual suggestion. If I hadn't lived in the area myself I would never believe it could have so many advantages.

1) 4 seasons YES
2) Ocean nearby YES

The Mystery Location
What's the property tax like on a place like that?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,435 times
Quote:
Some may think I'm crazy, but I want to move my family out of California. We live in Orange County in a very nice neighborhood, own a business, kids in private school, wife stays at home, life is generally good. But I've been in OC all my life and it's not like it used to be. I think it's time to leave.

I am trying to find that perfect place to go, and am looking for advice from this forum. We are a conservative Republican family and want that idyllic "Leave It To Beaver" experience for our children. The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great. Having an ocean nearby (1-2 hrs) is a plus. We like fine homes and lots of space, and would want to be in a place where upper class neighborhoods with 4000-6000 square foot homes are common on at least an acre of land. We can't be off in the backwoods either, we would need to be near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants, etc. Pricewise, somewhere in the $1.5M-$2M range. And somewhere that is not crawling with illegal aliens...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
I've done a lot of research and while I don't live there I would say Oregon.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
How about the CA Central Coast? Its got the ocean and the cooler climate. Its not exactly LA or SF, but that's the point of moving, isn't it?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 AM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Yep, me too. That's three of us that think Santa Barbara even though the OP mentioned leaving (which I completely understand). Can't beat the temperate weather near the ocean in California though. It is some of the best in the US and can not be replicated.

I have the exact same political philosophy as the OP and just moved to Santa Barbara from the west LA area. My second thought for him was Boise (or to a specific, high end community in Seattle, which is more conservative than the rest).

We are very spoiled here in S. California with many cultural and artistic choices. So those are big shoes to fill with the exception of NY, SF, and Chicago. However Boise is growing very much in the artistic and cultural areana and many previous Seattlites (and DC big wigs) that are used to many fine cultural and artistic choices--that are also very conservative--live there, visit there, and enjoy it and have told me to look into moving there as they are offering so much culturally and of course it is more temperate and a great place to cycle, jog, ski, golf you name it. I spend a lot of time visiting throughout the year each year.

There are many politically connected folks in Boise or connected to Boise and there is Sun Valley not far away with even more to enjoy in retirement or just with time and expendable income . You can get a fantastic home in Boise for the money you mentioned and they also have a fantastic airport connected to the world. You will not find the overall wealth that you will in S. California and that may be odd if you have spent your life in this area. You will find many good decent people. Boise is also business friendly and this is one of the many reason it is growing and will continue to. Each year it has more and more to offer families and businesses--small and corporate.

If your wife wants more temperate weather--as I did--look also into Santa Barbara. There is also Lake Oswego in Oregon (which will drive you crazy politically, also is it wet up there--both my reasons for not moving back to that area--however you will have much of what you are looking for--house and community wise--and many of your same political mind set in Lake Oswego.) Portland has always been known as a big town, compared to Seattle which is comparitively known as a small city. I just can't stand the very liberal attitude of Portland (or much of Seattle) and it was really between Boise and Santa Barbara for me and my husband in the end (even though we wanted very much out of California). I would look into both areas and go with your gut and if you move to SB message me so my family and your family can commiserate together politically . It also sounds like Mclean VA is another community you may find to your liking. I'd also check out the Carolinas. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was going to write almost exactly the same thing.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 06-13-2008 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-13-2008, 12:30 AM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
This is a lovely community and area. I have spent a lot of time in Princeton and the surrounding townships--very liberal though. Jersey is just what the OP disliked about Oregon and Seattle. Not for a conservative like the OP. No, no, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

1) 4 seasons YES
2) Ocean nearby YES

The Mystery Location

Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 AM

35 posts, read 136,754 times
Quote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.
The actual 'Leave it to Beaver' street is located on the back lot of the Universal Studios tour. It is now the same street used to make 'Desperate Housewives'. Which pretty much sums up the chances of you finding that community in another state. We have allowed our society to go from one to the other......with the result of us trying to get away from the outcome!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was going to write almost exactly the same thing.

Beverly Hills maybe??

Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Maine??????????????????????

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM

332 posts, read 772,433 times
Quote:
The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great.
You'd really have to look in the far northeast (Maine area) or anywhere north on the west coast (SF, Oregon, WA) to find someplace cooler in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California