Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,784 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am 20 years old and attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and living at home in the chicago sububs during the summer, which is where I grew up as well. I graduate from school in december and have already gotten a job working in sales based out of California. The only real requirement of the job is that I live in the southern california area as I will be meeting with clients all over southern cal. My starting salary will be $50,000 and should continue to grow fairly quickly as I gain experience in sales and make more contacts.

By the time I move out I will be 21 and am wondering what do you think would be the best area for me in southern california for me to live. I am looking for a place where I can meet alot of people my age, so a good nightlife scene, but also affordable as I will not be making alot right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,820 times
Hi nvoeks234,
Welcome to city-data! If I were new to the city and looking for a young night-life oriented place I'd probably live in West L.A., Santa Monica, West Hollywood.... but... I'd caution against it considering what you said about your budget and job requirements.

West L.A. is nice for the night-life and mingling... but living there is going to be very costly... and if your traveling for sales, traffic in and out of there is going to be horrendous.

Not knowing where most of your sales calls are going to be, I'd place myself more centrally in LA... close to a college/school, affordable, and close to some hot spots. Southern California is very unique in that it is very spread out and that hot spots dot the landscape.

I'd consider Fullerton in Orange County since it's by a couple colleges, is centrally located and easily accessible to going East/West on the 91 freeway, North/South on the 605/5 and 57 freeways. It also has a metrolink/amtrak hub that will allow you to move throughout LA without a car, and Downtown Fullerton is a nice hot spot that is also close to the Block at Orange, Downtown Disney, and Downtown Brea. Also, if you want to head up to West LA you can probably get there by train/rail.

Hope this helps,
chuck22b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California