Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
cat

70 posts, read 290,004 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen anyone mention Elk Grove, which is about 20 minutes South of downtown Sacramento and approx. 25-30 minutes to the executive air port..Around 1 1/2 hour drive to San Francisco, etc. Close to mountains and Lake Tahoe or Reno. Check out the Elk Grove school district..

If you haven't made your decision yet and would like more information on this town and area, please feel free to email me at cthphll@aol.com.

Lots of nice homes here, some older neighborhoods and a lot of new ones too..You can take your pick. Most within walking distance to High School, grammer and Jr. highs..
Easy freeway access to either I-5 or 99.
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,164 times
Default Templeton/Paso Robles, CA

Templeton has a great "schools" reputation and you can choose between traditional n/hoods, lovely homes on 5 acres, and more country space. Paso has great family events in their charming downtown. Both towns next to one another. Don't know about walking to school...depends where you live of course. Low crime rate - haven't seen any homeless - lots of sunshine and you've got your AG/country folks and your winery/more "other" folks. People very friendly. You are 1/2 hour from the SLO airport which flies to SF, LAX, and a few other spots with lots of times (an hour or less to SF / LAX). No traffic here -- really. And it will grow in value.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 PM

871 posts, read 1,985,130 times
I can tell you were not to go. Fontana. The schools are over crowded. My kids school offers bus rides to other schools because they are not meeting states grade. People from fontana high joke when they make mistakes saying " oh sorry I graduated Fo high". Its awful here. Surrounding areas like Rialto, Ontario even as far as Pomona.... Not good. To much violence here.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 21,841 times
I say orange county, its pricy and if money isnt an issue this is where i would be. Old orange area is great and very safe!! This is coming from a single mom of a 2 year old, so I am big on safty and feeling comfortable in a area. Plus many career opportunitys

Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 54,030 times
I say Roseville in the Sacramento Valley. You are about 20 minutes from Sacramento International Airport and 1 hour from Oakland INternational Aiport and 1hr and 30 min from San Francisco International. Prefferably, i would choose West Roseville (which is a greatly a huge master planned communitY) it has plenty of parks, a GIGANTIC mall, a auto mall, a waterparks, lots of recreations, lots of movie theaters and restraunts and close to Folsom Lake. Also, it boasts one of the top school districts in California. The Roseville City School Disctrict and Dry Creek are great. With about 5 high schools, 10 middle schools, and 20 elementary schools around...its your best bet

Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,424 times
Default Californian all my life

I have lived pretty much everywhere in CA from the north to the south over the last 43 years. I agree what a lot of these people said. Area's to check out though if your determined to come, are the Conejo Valley [which includes Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, and Agoura] about 35 minutes from Burbank [not accounting for traffic] or 1.5 hrs on average from LAX. Santa Ynez area near Santa Barbara. Temecula east of San Diego, Bakersfield [huge growth in this area recently], Marin County north of San Francisco, Sonoma & Napa Counties, Placerville [between Sacramento and Tahoe]. All of these area's I mention still offer some home town/ old country feel to them, yet have grown to provide modern shopping and schools. All are within a couple of hours of some large airport, all still offer some open space, most of them are in the pricey side but you get what you pay for over here [and we do pay a lot!] and have mild climates [exception: Bakersfield gets very hot!]. Good luck

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,905 times
I read your thread and I am in a similar situation as you (just with 2 kids). I grew up in Thousand Oaks (suburb north of LA 45 min.) and it was great but not what I am looking for now. I am trying to move from Scottsdale, AZ and we have narrowed our search down to Manhattan Beach, La Jolla area, Carmel Valley (in San Diego). Carmel Valley is a new suburb master plan - very nice with great schools, parks and 15 min. to beach...yet not able to walk to actual stores like MB or La Jolla. I am up in the air still and trying to get more feedback from this site. Hope my comment may have helped you.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,781 times
Default moving to Mt. Shasta

My family and I are possibly re-locating to Mt.Shasta City or Mcloud. I have 3 children, a 15yr. 13 yr and 22 month old. How are the schools and the community? We love the mountains and outdoors but also like a small, close community...

I am worried about moving my 10th grade son and 7th grade daughter... any thoughts???

Thank you

Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
My family and I are possibly re-locating to Mt.Shasta City or Mcloud. I have 3 children, a 15yr. 13 yr and 22 month old. How are the schools and the community? We love the mountains and outdoors but also like a small, close community...

I am worried about moving my 10th grade son and 7th grade daughter... any thoughts???

Thank you
Thought 1: Where are you going to work?
Thought 2: What is your housing price range or rental budget?
Thought 3: Why haven't you checked out the schools already?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Check out Danville, in the San Francisco bay area. You have Oakland International and SFO airports. Nice homes in nice neighborhoods, but pricey.
Danville is one of the nicest little towns in East Bay, I lived there for many years, and my young were raised there.

Situated among the hills, with picturesque views of Mt. Diablo (which is, along with Mt. Tam, are 2 highest peaks around the Bay). There are serpantines up to the summit, and in a clear weather you can see the whole bay. A lot of trails, rocky formations, BBQ area at different heights, and trails.

It IS expensive, yes. Mostly white, professional, and clean. Very few appartaments, mostly houses, ranging from typical 2-3 bedroom older ones, to those nice looking mentions up the hills.

There is Black Hawk there - a gated unincorporated area, sorta town inside town. If your worth is in 7 digits, it is probably the best place to live in East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California