Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 54,189 times

Advertisements

Does that exist? We would like to move to Cal. for many reasons but are nervous about the schools, materialism culture, and stressful lifestyle of driving. We can pretty much live anywhere and money isn't an issue, although I prefer to live in an economically diverse (but safe) area. I prefer the simple life and like my children to walk to school and most activities. Any ideas for us? I looked up the best schools in California and as usual they are in the priciest areas. Are there some in between areas that have great properties, great people, and walkable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Where do you work?

You should generally choose a location based on where you or your spouse works.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 PM

We work from home and need to be within a half hour of an international airport. We are leaning toward north San Diego County. Advise?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,528 times
San Diego County that offers all that and 30 min from the airport... Good Luck! I don't see that... sorry. Sounds like you are looking for a bit more out of the way and even perhaps a bit rural???

Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 PM

134 posts, read 600,839 times
lake arrowhead, still reasonable.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,389 times
don't come to lake arrowhead... we are 2 1/2 hours from an international airport... and anything else. MY parents moved their 5 children up here and now we can't wait to leave. It's a terrible place to raise children. If you don't play sports or participate in the arts up here... then you get involved in drugs as a teen. Thankfully, I was part of the former group.

Not to mention, people here are shallow, callous, and generally ignorant. I got away as soon as possible. It's gone downhill drastically in the past years I've been here.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM

What about Encinitas? Are there walkable, safe, good schooled neighborhoods there?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 PM

96 posts, read 751,105 times
Well, it's nowhere near San Diego, but my family and I live in Alta Loma, which is located in the Inland Empire, about 30 miles east of LA. It's only a 10minute drive to Ontario Airport, and it's a very beautiful, safe, family-oriented neighborhood. It's considered upscale, but not near as expensive as closer toward LA. And the schools are some of the best. My family and I are actually looking to move out of Cali in the near future due to overpopulation and freeway congestion, but if you can deal with these issues and don't mind paying an arm and a leg for real estate (with no land) and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic no matter what time of day or night, then welcome to SoCal. Oh, and don't let the promise of mild summers fool you because it gets hotter and hotter hear every year (global warming), reaching 110+ in the valley for days on end this past summer. You should go onto www.weatherunderground.com and look up the month by month weather records for where you decide to relocate so you can see for yourself. Of course, the closer you are to the beach, the more mild the summers are, but then you deal with the major freeway/city congestion that goes along with that, not to mention housing prices through the roof ($700,000+). Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 PM

85 posts, read 505,269 times
Encinitas is ok. However, as with the entire coast of CA it's quite costly and very densly populated. Too many cookie-cutter houses packed together for my tastes. Also, regrettably most of SD county is extremely materialistic. You might try to get away from the coast, try Ramona, Julian or Alpine, less materialistic and less rat race in general. But, farther from the airport and not as walkable.

I don't really understand your post, you said money isn't an object yet note the good school areas are in high cost areas. Are you saying those high cost areas are too high or are you just making an observation?

For the best of CA try Santa Barbara or Carmel/Monterey. Might be too far from major airports for you though.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM

105 posts, read 552,311 times
Default looking for the perfect California town to raise our 5 children

I guess my question would be how much isn't money an issue?? California cost of living is much higher than other areas, and most of the nicer communities have home prices that START at $500k to $800k...and that's to start...a small, outdated home. Oh, and forget about having any type of land.

Anyhow....one of the highest ranking school systems that is in southern california is Temecula, CA. It's about an hour from San Diego airport (as long as it's not during rush hour), and 45 minutes from Ontario airport. Temecula has a mini wine-country area, and is within an hour to San Diego, Disney, and the ocean.

Keep in mind that traffic in southern california is the worst. I moved from Boston and said "naaaaa, nothing can be as bad as the Big Dig in Boston...". It's worse. Much worse. And the problem is that it is usually anytime, any day. It's not just during the "rush hour" time.

Temecula is a great family community...the only problem is that it is very "commercial"...meaning lots of chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California