Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,828,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
There are plenty of jobs but you need to have real good qualifications in order to get the good jobs. It is not a state for slackers or the inexperienced. There are lots of entry level positions but if you want a top job you need to be the best.
It is like that anywhere. Do you really think they are going to hire someone for a good paying job if they are not qualified (no relevant experience, education)? Also entry-level jobs are what you want. Those jobs give you relevant work experience that allows you to climb the ladder. Also going to college, working hard, studying something that has jobs, and getting good grades is also a major plus.

No job market is suited for slackers or the inexperienced. It is all related to supply and demand. There are tons of high school drop-outs, felons, slackers and other people who will take any job they can get regardless of pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,903,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
It is like that anywhere. Do you really think they are going to hire someone for a good paying job if they are not qualified (no relevant experience, education)? Also entry-level jobs are what you want. Those jobs give you relevant work experience that allows you to climb the ladder. Also going to college, working hard, studying something that has jobs, and getting good grades is also a major plus.

No job market is suited for slackers or the inexperienced. It is all related to supply and demand. There are tons of high school drop-outs, felons, slackers and other people who will take any job they can get regardless of pay.
Absolutely correct

Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
employment stats do not measure underemployment.
nor does it measure hard core unemployment.
unemployment is understated.
50% of americans dont work (an infant is an american). the rest are moving at the speed of light. i am no longer one of them. retired i mostly just ride my bike.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,903,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
employment stats do not measure underemployment.
nor does it measure hard core unemployment.
unemployment is understated.
50% of americans dont work (an infant is an american). the rest are moving at the speed of light. i am no longer one of them. retired i mostly just ride my bike.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

The number also don't reflect people like myself that swatted flies for 6 months by choice. I don't give these numbers much credence unless they are showing a trend.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
along with the incredible retirement packages for the big state government unions . We can look to our hugely Democrat leadership in Sacramento and watch how they try to point fingers instead of cutting the bloated social spending in this state. .
Arnie tried to correct some of those issues a couple of years back but the big money unions convinced everyone the prison guards, teachers, and other civil employees couldn't survive without their huge retirements. The results are beginning to catch up with the state now.
Money flowed like water in the dot com era, and the former gov thought it would last forever. It didn't..!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Arnie tried to correct some of those issues a couple of years back but the big money unions convinced everyone the prison guards, teachers, and other civil employees couldn't survive without their huge retirements. The results are beginning to catch up with the state now.
Money flowed like water in the dot com era, and the former gov thought it would last forever. It didn't..!
now now don't be harsh. pass me another jelly donut would you?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
The number also don't reflect people like myself that swatted flies for 6 months by choice. I don't give these numbers much credence unless they are showing a trend.
i also am a ruthless fly swatter. fortunately my bike/trolley riding keeps me occupied so i do not decimate the fly population too much.

never swat a fly he may be somebodies cutie pie.
(sing it)

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
June 2008

California unemployment hits 6.8% - Los Angeles Times

June 2009

California unemployment rises to 11.5% - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times
Ah, the good old days of 7% unemployment!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

97 posts, read 265,230 times

Just amazing, and California's answer is to further tax business into oblivion. Bad, evil business that, gasp, makes money!!?!?! They should pay pay pay. No wonder young educated people are fleeing like crazy. We continue to move young engineers and scientists out of the state and they are ever so happy to leave a place that punishes them for working hard and trying to better their lives.

As a former lifelong Californian, it really makes me sad to see my beloved California keep faultering for really no reason other than than a misguided ideology that does not feel that everyone should have a stake in the sucess of the state. You simply can not survive as a society when a large group can demand and take from a small minority while having to contribute very little and invest nearly nothing and expect to have a lasting sustainable society. The producers will simply move elsewhere to find a place that they are not continually ladeled down with oppressive taxation. California relies on the bulk of its tax revenue from a very small portion of the population (who by the way use a very small portion of the services) while those who use most off the services pay very very little, thus have no stake in its reasonability or sustainability, but can simply demand more of the minority. This is not right and is an economic injustice to both the minority who pay and the majority who consume as it inflicts inevitable sufffering for both at some point.

If you look at every one of the states with high unemployment, they have the same philosophy regarding producers and consumers. We need to help the less fortunate, but if the less fortunate have no investment, if it costs them nothing, then they will consume until there is nothing left but collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California