Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:50 PM

21 posts, read 157,731 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone in this forum who was from ny,nj area moved to ca and never wanted to go back? I hear alot of people moving across the country and ending up going back. If there any former ny'ers who love ca I would like to hear from you....please. Think i found the right town in ca to move to but not sure if I can adjust to ca living compared to ny living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylori2001 View Post
Is there anyone in this forum who was from ny,nj area moved to ca and never wanted to go back? I hear alot of people moving across the country and ending up going back. If there any former ny'ers who love ca I would like to hear from you....please. Think i found the right town in ca to move to but not sure if I can adjust to ca living compared to ny living.
I grew up in Suffolk County on LI, and moved to San Diego in 1995 at the age of 19. My whole family still lives in the Northport/Huntington area. When I was 16 I visited San Diego to go to my half-brother's wedding, and after that knew that I wanted to live in California.

Southern California is quite different from the NYC metro, but it has a lot of similarities too. There are upsides and downsides.

We considered moving to NYC a few years ago when we realized that home prices here were so high that we could potentially buy in NY for the same money. We took a trip to NYC to look at some neighborhoods, we were very disappointed in what we could afford and the type of areas we could buy in.

We were able to buy a small house in an 'up-and-coming' San Diego neighborhood for the same money I would have paid for a 2BR co-op in a place like Bay Ridge or Forest Hills.

I still love NY and visit often. I miss it a lot. But I love SoCal and I'm not prepared to give up my life here right now. Eventually we may semi-retire to a place like upstate NY so I can be closer to my family, but for now, we plan to stay in SoCal.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 PM

57 posts, read 296,696 times
Wink I'm moving to New York!

Hi there! We've lived in Los Angeles all our lives... my husband and I are 34. We are moving to upstate New York... Orange County to be exact. We have lovely home here in CA, but the taxes are high, graffiti, crime, people not speaking English, poor schools, the list goes on and on. We went to Warwick this fall and fell in love with it. Stay in New York. You'll be better off. CA is going down the tubes!!! Our house out here is on the market. As soon as it sells... we are out of here.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
My bro inlaw grew up in Northern Jersey. Moved to San Diego County 5 years ago and hasn't looked back. I'm moving to Orange County at the end of the month and hope my experiences are just as positive.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
but the taxes are high, graffiti, crime, people not speaking English, poor schools, the list goes on and on. We went to Warwick this fall and fell in love with it. Stay in New York. You'll be better off.
NYC area has all the same problems. Either you pay through the nose to avoid them or you move upstate where there are no jobs. :-/

Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 PM

156 posts, read 721,818 times
Besides NYC having all the same problems, as Sassberto says, and you pay
thru the nose for them, you also have cold , damp,and snow.
Originally Posted by Nbrakern
but the taxes are high, graffiti, crime, people not speaking English, poor schools, the list goes on and on. We went to Warwick this fall and fell in love with it. Stay in New York. You'll be better off.

How would we be better off?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
How would we be better off?
I think she is basing her experience on upstate which is quite different from the Suburban NY/NJ metro area.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM

156 posts, read 721,818 times
Right, Sassberto, upstate is like a different country from the Suburban NY/NJ metro area. I live an hour away, and our town has gone from being a somewhat sleepy shore town to a suburb of the city. Especially after 9/11, people moved down here to be safer, lol. thats a joke in itself, last week there was a smell in NJ and downtown NYC, and they shut down the path trains and everyone was freaking.

Upstate is beautiful, my middle son lives in Rochester, which can be really cold and snowy.They're having a milder winter this year, but its still worlds away from the city.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 PM

150 posts, read 799,220 times
Hey Sass my sister lives in Dix Hills. I go back every year to visit her and her family, since 2001. I love to visit her, and the Island, and the city, then.... return to SoCal. Actually we moved from SoCal to Ashland, ORegon (as I've mentioned on a few other threads) but LOVED LOVED LOVED living in Southern California. Weather, people (even the ditsy ones) and lifestyle.

It's expensive but most places that are wonderful have a large price tag. Whaddya gonna do?! lol

Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYC View Post
Hey Sass my sister lives in Dix Hills. I go back every year to visit her and her family, since 2001. I love to visit her, and the Island, and the city, then.... return to SoCal. Actually we moved from SoCal to Ashland, ORegon (as I've mentioned on a few other threads) but LOVED LOVED LOVED living in Southern California. Weather, people (even the ditsy ones) and lifestyle.

It's expensive but most places that are wonderful have a large price tag. Whaddya gonna do?! lol
I love Long Island, love NYC, but as you mentioned... it all comes with a big price attached. Add to that the nearest high paying job is an hour or more on the LIRR away - plus subways - in rain and wind and cold - Nothing's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California