Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times

Advertisements

I can say that I'm truly appalled by the attitudes of Californians towards southerners.
Tolerance, FTW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I can say that I'm truly appalled by the attitudes of Californians towards southerners.
Tolerance, FTW!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Tolerance, FTW!
WHAT?????????????????????

Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM

114 posts, read 207,560 times
Thanks for the responses everyone! I am somewhat surprised by how positive they are. Like the first poster stated, Hollywood hasn’t been very kind to us southerners.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Or just make your own

Editing to add, does McD's serve sweet tea there yet or is it just out here? Also, do they serve the Southern Style Chicken sandwichs and chicken biscuits at McD's or just here? I know they didn't used to, but I've been gone since 2001!

McD's just started that Southern Style Chicken sandwhiches and chicken biscuits but no Sweet Tea yet. I'm assuming they just started that stuff here b/c of all of the Chick-fil-a's opening up recently. I haven't tried McD's and their southern style chicken sandwhich and don't really plan on it, I love Chick-fil-a and their sandwiches and they have great lemonade and SWEET TEA, my two favorite drinks. A friend who moved here from Alabama says it's the only place in CA she's seen serve sweet tea.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
I have seen comments about East Coast types of people but it seems the posts are really about people from the North East. What is the perception about people from NC and the south? What do you think about this state/region? How many of us do you know? Have you ever visited this part of the country?
I don't really have much of an opinion of people from there except I'm sure they have that typical warm southern friendliness and hospitality. New Orleans is the only place in the South I've been and the people are great, so warm and friendly. I was very impressed with the people there.

There are the stereotypes we all know of but I don't like stereotypes. I don't like when Californians are stereotypes so I sure as hell wouldn't do it to residents of other states. There are Californians that will stereotype Southerners but they tend to be negative CA stereotypes themselves.

I would like to visit that area one day, I heard the beaches and mountains are pretty nice and I like the whole Southern culture thing, especially the food.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
McD's just started that Southern Style Chicken sandwhiches and chicken biscuits but no Sweet Tea yet. I'm assuming they just started that stuff here b/c of all of the Chick-fil-a's opening up recently. I haven't tried McD's and their southern style chicken sandwhich and don't really plan on it, I love Chick-fil-a and their sandwiches and they have great lemonade and SWEET TEA, my two favorite drinks. A friend who moved here from Alabama says it's the only place in CA she's seen serve sweet tea.
Oh, awesome! Thanks for the tip. I think my husband said he got sweet tea at Denny's too... but Chick Fil A has a drive-thru.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody74 View Post
I am a native of California, but I have family all over the South. I spent many summers in various southern states. I haven't been to N.Carolina, but have relatives there as well. I love the peace and quiet of the country areas, and the slow to medium pace of the city areas.

Southerners have been very kind to me. I found the southern hospitality to be quite sincere. They put a premium on making visitors feel welcome.
I don't know how it is to go from being a visitor in the summer to becoming a long term resident, in terms of how one from CA is treated.
Many of us from California have a tremendous love for our state, and in fact the west coast region. It seemed the same for southerners. They love being southern. I like that. I respect that.
Personally, if I met a Californian I would be curious about them. There aren’t too many here and the ones I have met have been decent people. They have not been condescending like certain other people have. Like I stated in my first post, I have seen comments about East Coast types. I had to laugh at a few of them. Here I thought these peoples attitudes were a manifestation of the south-north divide. It turns out they consider themselves superior to everyone. I am not saying everyone from up north is like that. Many of them are nice but I have had my fair share of dealing with jerks.

I love being a North Carolinian and a southerner. Despite the fact I tend be more liberal socially than many southerners, I can not help but feel a strong connection to this state and region. My family has been in North Carolina for almost 300 years. They have been in the county I live in since before the Revolutionary War. I am literally walking where my gggggg parents did.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
Personally, if I met a Californian I would be curious about them. There aren’t too many here and the ones I have met have been decent people. They have not been condescending like certain other people have. Like I stated in my first post, I have seen comments about East Coast types. I had to laugh at a few of them. Here I thought these peoples attitudes were a manifestation of the south-north divide. It turns out they consider themselves superior to everyone. I am not saying everyone from up north is like that. Many of them are nice but I have had my fair share of dealing with jerks.

I love being a North Carolinian and a southerner. Despite the fact I tend be more liberal socially than many southerners, I can not help but feel a strong connection to this state and region. My family has been in North Carolina for almost 300 years. They have been in the county I live in since before the Revolutionary War. I am literally walking where my gggggg parents did.
That is so cool, the part about walking where your ancestors did!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
That is so cool, the part about walking where your ancestors did!
It does give me a very strong feeling of roots. I know other people speak of other countries being the “old country”. To me, North Carolina is the old country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California