Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which fits me best?
L.A. 2 8.70%
Bay Area 1 4.35%
San Jose 1 4.35%
Sacremento 2 8.70%
San Diego 14 60.87%
Other (explain please) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM

139 posts, read 501,803 times

Advertisements

Im looking to move to California in a couple years after I graduate college, and im trying to figure out where would be the best location. Now I know that what kind of job I am able to land, and where I have offers will ultimately probably decide for me, but lets just say i have offers all over the state.

Heres my other preferences:

-Beaches w/ Surfing
-Warm whether in the summer (75 and above)
-A great social/night life
-A mainly young city
-Reasonable Rent (ill probably be at around 50-60k starting off, so whatever is reasonable with that salary)
-Relatively safe of course
-NOT a snobby 200k+ community

I don't know a lot about the state, so if any of these are not possible in certain cities that I list, im sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times
SD and LA both fit your criteria. SD is cheaper for rent than LA and is safer overall. LA has more negative quality of life issues than SD but is bigger so there is more to do and whether or not those things to do are worth it for the extra hassles of living there is up to you.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,155,755 times
I voted for San Diego in spite of it being expensive. Great beaches, best weather in the state, or in the US for that matter, lots of young people, relatively safe. That's where I'd go if I had the same interests as the OP.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM

259 posts, read 765,779 times
There is a glaring hole in your poll. Apparently, no one likes to live north of Sacramento and the Bay Area. lol I voted other for Shasta/Trinity county area.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM

259 posts, read 765,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
There is a glaring hole in your poll. Apparently, no one likes to live north of Sacramento and the Bay Area. lol I voted other for Shasta/Trinity county area.
Out of the other places listed on your poll, I'd select San Diego since I loved it there when I lived there. I live in Sacramento and though I don't like it, it isn't as bad as the Bay Area or LA.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
Im looking to move to California in a couple years after I graduate college, and im trying to figure out where would be the best location. Now I know that what kind of job I am able to land, and where I have offers will ultimately probably decide for me, but lets just say i have offers all over the state.

Heres my other preferences:

-Beaches w/ Surfing
-Warm whether in the summer (75 and above)
-A great social/night life
-A mainly young city
-Reasonable Rent (ill probably be at around 50-60k starting off, so whatever is reasonable with that salary)
-Relatively safe of course
-NOT a snobby 200k+ community

I don't know a lot about the state, so if any of these are not possible in certain cities that I list, im sorry.
What does "snobby 200k community" mean? Does that mean that you think 200k is a lot to spend?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM

167 posts, read 492,840 times
Couldn't choose just one.

Sac and SJ are off because they're too inland for your beach/surfing needs, unless you're okay with driving 1-2 hours to the beach.

Bay Area, LA, or SD all seem to fit your criteria--or, rather, parts of it. Because they're all fairly large and therefore having different identities within them, it's just a matter of finding where in their respective metro areas fit you most.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM

162 posts, read 572,978 times
I voted LA.

Specifically I'm thinking of access to both LA and OC beaches, and all the nightlife that LA has to offer. Within that, there are SO many choices of where to live, I think you'll have to come check it out yourself.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,786,443 times
Quote:
I know Shasta is really known for its surfing and nightlife.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,485,796 times
I voted San Diego.

I am a CA native. I grew up in SF Valley and Agoura area.

Since my family is spread out between San Diego, Apple Valley, Ojai, Agoura Hills, Camarillo, Orange County, Visalia, Bay Area and Oakland, I have seen those places. I prefer it down south and I see it as more affordable, especially gas prices are 4.20 today, and we have light rail/buses to boot.

I prefer South San Diego (Palm City area) I have lived in Ocean Beach, PB, Hillcrest, North Park, and National City. I also have family in Mission Valley area. Too hot for me there.

I like this location because of the proximity to downtown (12 miles)
The climate up on the mesa is the best I have found (besides the beaches but I am looking at cost)

Also, the police are on it. If I call them (which I have had to 2 times in 8 months for teen parties raging) they are there in minutes!

And the neighbors here really watch out for each other.

No mello roos, or HOA

I love my little cul de sac

Oh, and no homeless here either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California