Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:12 PM

44 posts, read 180,268 times

Advertisements

I am cruising Craig's List. What's up with the area? Working class, blue collar or other side of the tracks?

I see this: "Near Marina, parks & Embarcadero"

are there beaches and or parks that are safe? safe meaning: no crime infested parks/beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Yes, the town is safe and clean. Some skateboarders.
It is so small the sheriff knows everyone by name.
My parents live nearby in a township of 50. The parade circles the block three times so both floats seem much more.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 PM

101 posts, read 581,810 times
Morro Bay is a lovely, quiet town/fishing village of mostly single family homes built 40-50 years ago. Many are being renovated into million dollar show places. I was there for Fourth of July--we grilled hamburgers on the deck and it was so cold you could see your breath. The fog got in the way of the fireworks now and then, but it was great. Turkeys walk down the center of the streets.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:56 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
I grew up in Morro Bay. It's basically a retirement community now. That town is about as far away from being unsafe as heaven. Probably one of the nicest places to live in the state.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 23,233 times
Default Moving back to California specifically Morro Bay

Hi, I did notice that the rents are cheap in and around Morro Bay. This is good since I am planning to move back to California with my nineteen year old son. My son is a skateboarder and in college. He is "straight edge" and into the hardcore music scene. Are there venues for this around that area? Are there other straight edgers in SLO county that he would be able to connect with?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorothyGardiner View Post
Hi, I did notice that the rents are cheap in and around Morro Bay. This is good since I am planning to move back to California with my nineteen year old son. My son is a skateboarder and in college. He is "straight edge" and into the hardcore music scene. Are there venues for this around that area? Are there other straight edgers in SLO county that he would be able to connect with?
"straight edge"? could you explain this. I have never heard that term. We have two fabulous colleges here, Cuesta and Cal Poly, he'll get a quality education and there's a new skate park in Los Osos. But hardcore straight edge? you got me.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

44 posts, read 170,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
"straight edge"? could you explain this. I have never heard that term. We have two fabulous colleges here, Cuesta and Cal Poly, he'll get a quality education and there's a new skate park in Los Osos. But hardcore straight edge? you got me.
Straight edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are different degrees of living the "straight edge" lifestyle, but basically, being straight edge means you don't partake in drugs, alcohol or tobacco. Unfortunately, drugs are so prevalent in society that there is actually a label for people who choose not to use them, instead of just being considered "normal". As far as straight edgers in Morro Bay, I'm sure there are a few, but it's a small coastal California town so it's probably got more than its fair share of stoners. I remember seeing a news story last year about a medicinal marijuana dispensary being raided by the feds there last year, for what that's worth. Regardless, it's a beautiful town and very low key.

There are lots of hard core concerts nearby in SLO. Cal Poly is a great school, but their admissions standards are fairly high, so keep those grades up and he'll be rewarded. From my observations, Cuesta is more of a school for young men who just got out of jail and realized they need to do something with their life.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 AM

First, there aren't many kids his age in Morro Bay anyway. Morro Bay is a retirement town, it's full of seniors. It is true that there is a bit of a party culture with the kids who grow up there. He's college aged, there are 30k college students in the area. They can't all be stoners. The pot dispensery? don't read too much into that. I'm surprised that was EVER in Morro Bay.Not because there aren't people there who get stoned , but because 80% of Morro Bay is made up of grandparents. Cal Poly admissions are tough, many local students can't get in. Yes, Cuesta College is located near the SLO County jail. "Yale by the jail", the young men may think about doing something with their life as they attempt to hitch hike back to Morro Bay after being released from jail. I'm assuming you're joking, right? Actually, Cuesta is highly regarded community college, probably one of the top 2-yr. schools in the state.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
Okay, why is Morro Bay so reasonable for rentals?
No jobs. Bring your own money and you'll be fine.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 AM

519 posts, read 1,696,696 times
I agree about the no jobs part. Maybe MB is cheaper because it is generally overcast? I know some college students/faculty who like to live around there -- quieter, calmer, and close to the ocean.

There are always lots of bands at the local bars and Downtown Brew (they do allow under-21 some nights). But they aren't large venues. Cal Poly brings in indie/local bands during UU Hour (Tue/Thurs 11am-12pm) and often has concerts in the Rec Center. But it's NOT like Sacramento/LA/Fresno/San Fran large here. I'd imagine your son would get BORED in MB, so I hope he can drive. Heck, teens/college get bored in SLO, too. It's just not a huge city.

MB is safe. I'd walk around there at 3am and feel safe. It's touristy and local-y ... perfect for a chill lifestyle without expectations of "excitement" other than Fourth of July, Farmer's Market, and whatever other events are happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California