Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:45 PM

43 posts, read 207,554 times

Advertisements

"Cheap" and "California" cannot co-exist in the same sentence. Neither can the words "short commute" and "reasonably priced."

But you didn't ask that, you asked if Bakersfield is "that bad". it is hot. No, make that **** hot. It is still heavily based on ag and fuel industries. It is not chic or trendy. But, no, it's not "that bad". There are far, far worse places to live in CA in terms of cost, crime, etc. I can't think of a lot to recommend it, but I also can't think of any real reason to shun it. I guess every state has a town that gets a rep for being Hicksville, and for CA, Bakersfield seems to be it.

But unless you already have a job or family there...why Bakersfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 AM

19 posts, read 77,283 times
I have lived in Bakersfield for the last 15 years. I think at one time in was a decent place to live but now it’s not that great. Everything that was once good about Bakersfield is now non-existent.

- Bakersfield has horrendous air quality. Bakersfield is ranked 3rd in the nation for bad air quality.

- Traffic is bad and getting worse every year especially if you have to travel on Rosedale Hwy. We need a cross town Freeway.

- Bakersfield used to be very affordable place to live. Now housing is expensive. A 1200sqft house can cost over $300,000.

- The crime is getting worse. The crime index in 2000 was 280 but in 2003 it went up to 444.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:31 PM

56 posts, read 555,909 times
I lived there for twenty years, and have to visit frequently,,

You asked " Is Bakersfield that bad"

answer; IT IS WORSE ! Imagine the worst place you can think of,, now spell it B A K E R S F I E L D !

Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 PM

19 posts, read 77,283 times
I agree with everythng bobizzy3 said and I think Bakersfield gets worse every year. I dont know of any good reasons why someone would want to move here.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Where else can you buy a home in CA in the 300k price range that isn't a dump? Probably comes with a pool too.
Santa Maria.

The average high in the summer is 75 degrees.

This summer, when everyone else was suffering from high temps, the high here was 87 degrees.

I never use a/c, as it stays cool enough in the house, and the winters are also quite mild.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 PM

55 posts, read 405,705 times
Default Santa Maria, hands down.

Previous poster offered the choice between Bakersfield and Santa Maria. The choice is Santa Maria, hands down...less toxic air, less heat, less Okies, less illegals, less...Bakersfield! Just stay away from Casmalia...they have some toxic waste dump problems in the ground water there.

I had to work in Bakersfield for awhile. As Bette Davis would say, "WHAT....a DUMP!" The only worse experience I had was Stockton. Now THERE'S a dump! Fresno's another dump, and a big one. For quality of life, stay OUT of the San Joaquin Valley, period. Weather wise, the high desert's better in summer...drier, can use a swamp cooler. But, that's quickly turning into a planned "superghetto," so that's out, too.

I long for the days when I had a nice little house in Thousand Oaks. Those were the days, my friend.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 50,409 times
I met a girl many years ago who was about 18. She had one of the strongest southern accents I had ever heard. I asked her what part of the south she was from and she replied, "Ah was bern n raised in Bykersfeeeeeld."

Old 11-19-2006, 02:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Thats funny because most people in Bakersfield feel the same way about anywhere south of Kern county

Old 11-19-2006, 02:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Bakersfield may have problems,but it isn't that bad to live in...Their are other places in CA and in other parts of the Country that are worst.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Default Bakersfield

I used to travel there a lot on business. This was like 15 years ago, though.

I liked the people just fine. But the place...the wind blows one way, you smell high sulfur petroleum, the other way, manure. It may have changed a great deal since I was last there.

One of the posters in this thread included Modesto in a list of towns he'd rather move out of CA than live in. I couldn't disagree more. Modesto is a lovely little city, real old time 'east west home is best welcome stranger' California. Again, this is based on 15 year old experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California