Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:08 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times

Advertisements

I moved to the Humboldt county area in 1992 after losing all of my garden jobs in the Oakland/Berkeley hills fire. I lived in the Garberville area for seven years and moved to McKinleyville in 2000, it is just under 16,000 people and has the best schools and the lowest crime rate in the county. It has taken on over 28 percent of the population growth. Eureka has the highest crime rate in the county. McKinleyville is unincorporated and has a sign saying " Welcome to McKinleyville, where horses have the right of way". The town reminds me of the small town feel that predominated in the bay area in the 60's. Jobs are scarce, though there are plenty of construction jobs and with the burgeoning home growth , the sevice industry is strong ( gardeners, house keepers etc ) McKinleyville has a progressive school system with a spanish emmersion program. The school system ranks up there with some of the best private schools and is the best in the county and in the top ten in the state. I love living here on the coast and though our summers can be foggy [ not all the time ] the fall is beautiful with some days in the low 80's or higher. Even though Eureka and McKinleyville are right on the coast, one can drive the 12 miles to Eureka and be in the fog and come home to the sun here. Just like S. F. you take what weather you get, today and yesterday were clear and in the mid 70's. If it is too dreary all one needs to do is drive about five miles inland and it is hotter than a dickens, up to 100 plus in the summer and it will be in the mid 60's on the coast and sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,528 times
Default I'd think twice

I was born and raised in Santa Rosa. We moved away for a few years and I was homesick so we moved back. Biggest mistake of our life. We finally moved to Tennessee about 10 years ago and it was the best move ever. I would definitely do some deep digging before moving anywhere in California. Look into not only job and housing market, but also everything from taxes to car registration, California gouges it residents every chance it gets. My sister and Mom who both said they would never leave Santa Rosa much less California moved to Colorado a year ago and my other sister moved to Wyoming the year before that. I hope no matter where you move you are happy and remember it doesn't have to be forever.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,480 times
Default Moving to Willits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxn View Post
Hi, my husband has been transferred to Ft Bragg and the commute is pretty challenging...we are looking for at least 3 acres, prefer more...but need space for dogs (so prefer that we don't bother neighbors with barking...they don't bark all the time, just don't want to risk it.)
Anyway, the residence is secondary...we'd even renovate a barn to live in!
Our income is limited, I did say that my husband is working in Ft. Bragg, you see) and prices are generally higher than we can afford.
If anyone knows of a place that might work, especially a "for sale by owner" situation, please contact me!

Also, we have a beautiful home, 2 years new, 3 bed, 2 bath (large, double shower in master bath), gourmet kitchen, in a beautiful redwood forest, easy access and 5 minutes to Willits, radiant heat flooring, high ceilings, 1/2 acre, fenced back and side yard...would be interested in renting it out to help us move...or we would consider a lease option or outright sale.
This is a lovely home...and there is a building moritorium so the vacant lots surrounding us will remain vacant for many, many years to come!
Prefer not to work with agents (we've not had good luck with agents.) I can send pictures if interested. Contact me at utahANDjac on yahoo. (Remove the AND, add the 'at' and dot com.)
My husband and I, and our 2 children aged 7 and 5, are considering moving from Central CA to Willits. I was checking this cite to find out what houses and apartments rent for. I'd like to find out what you are considering renting your home for. Are you still considering renting your home out?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,726 times
Question moving to Northern Ca

Hi, I know this is an older thread but as I am looking to move to Northern Ca this summer thought I would start here. My husband and younger son (13) are looking to relocate this summer from Naples Florida we will have lived here for 13 years by the time we move. I am an Interior Designer but even staging business is drying up here. So if we are starting over we want to do it somewhere else and have always loved Northern Ca. We are tollerant liberals meaning that we have lived in a Republican conclave here for 13 years ( have clients that are very republican but I always find something else to have in common with them in order to build relationships). We have backgrounds in tomato hydroponics, internet businesses, and of course home design (soup to nuts). We would like to find somewhere with a friendly small town feel, history, and good food sources we are foodies with a bent to locatarianism. We realize we may have to start a business to work and want a town that welcomes new business. We would like to rent for the first year and would be willing to redesign a rental property if the owner was will to work with me. Can't live in an 80's time warp and love historic properties (used to write grants for historical properties in Central City Colorado. Does anyone have a place to suggest that would be a fit? How are rental prices and home prices being affected by the recession out there? Relocation will be expensive and still have a kid in college as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California