Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:02 AM

42 posts, read 245,872 times

Advertisements

Ok so i think i've narrowed my city search down to Santa Monica and Long beach(possibly Venice beach if i find any good jobs around there). Can you all give me your thoughts and opinions on which is a better place to live, Santa Monica or Long Beach? I hear mostly good things about Long beach and i have visited and really liked the atmosphere and people, and it is more affordable, i'm looking at belmont shore. But i see a lot of jobs that i want in Santa Monica and i hear a lot of great things about there too. But the idea that it is real uppity and snobby and fake(which i've heard from many) sort of makes me nervous. I've never been there so i can't really evaluate the vibe myself. What city is it easier to find a good job somewhat close to the beach? That is a big deciding factor for me. And one more question...how far is Venice beach from Santa Monica and Long Beach? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,854,423 times
More like Los Angeles, in the Venice district. Venice is just south of Santa Monica. Long Beach is quite far south from those communities. LBC borders Orange County. I would say Los Angeles because it has a lot of job opportunities.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 AM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
I grew up in LA and lived there 40 years before moving here to CO. If I had to chose between those two cities I would pick Long Beach. Long Beach is very large and has some really good and really bad sections. No one will argue with that. Belmonte Shores should be fine.

Santa Monica has some nice sections which are really pricely. I used to appraise the movie star homes down there. But I really don't care for the attitude and enviroment. It is too plasticy, too touristy, too snooty, and too hollywood to me. Think Bay Watch and 'look at Me I'm in the Business' vibe. It just may be the world capitol of breast implants, botax injections and hummers. It reminds me of the bad parts of CA I 'gladly' left behind.

An area that you didn't mention but is very nice and in between those locations is Torrance. We lived there and really enjoyed that community. It is more down to earth, less pretentious but still a very nice place to live. Here are a couple pics of the beach there:

Another option in between if you really want to be closer to SM is Playa Del Rey. That is a nice community. All of these areas in LA have there own unique vibe. So it really boils down to what your preferences are for your community and everyday neighbors. They are definately 'Not' all the same in that regard. It would be good to walk the areas you are thinking about living in. Everyone has their preferences. Just explore and go with your gut instinct. I think you'll see what I mean.

As far as jobs you should not have a problem finding one since LA is such a large economic hub with Orange County directly to the south - another large economic center. Jobs are usually what brings people to LA along with the favorable weather closer to the beach. Just prepare yourself for a lot of traffic. So the best answer to that problem is find a job as close as you can to where you live. What is it you do? If you do work 'In the Businesss' I apologize in advance. I do have friends who are nice people that work in Hollywood. But I just don't care for that part of LA.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-12-2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times
Long Beach near the ocean is great, I agree. Look at Seal Beach too - great little beach town with an old fashioned Main street with shops and restaurants and a pier.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:23 PM

42 posts, read 245,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I grew up in LA and lived there 40 years before moving here to CO. If I had to chose between those two cities I would pick Long Beach. Long Beach is very large and has some really good and really bad sections. No one will argue with that. Belmonte Shores should be fine.

Santa Monica has some nice sections which are really pricely. I used to appraise the movie star homes down there. But I really don't care for the attitude and enviroment. It is too plasticy, too touristy, too snooty, and too hollywood to me. Think Bay Watch and 'look at Me I'm in the Business' vibe. It just may be the world capitol of breast implants, botax injections and hummers. It reminds me of the bad parts of CA I 'gladly' left behind.

An area that you didn't mention but is very nice and in between those locations is Torrance. We lived there and really enjoyed that community. It is more down to earth, less pretentious but still a very nice place to live. Here are a couple pics of the beach there:

Another option in between if you really want to be closer to SM is Playa Del Rey. That is a nice community. All of these areas in LA have there own unique vibe. So it really boils down to what your preferences are for your community and everyday neighbors. They are definately 'Not' all the same in that regard. It would be good to walk the areas you are thinking about living in. Everyone has their preferences. Just explore and go with your gut instinct. I think you'll see what I mean.

As far as jobs you should not have a problem finding one since LA is such a large economic hub with Orange County directly to the south - another large economic center. Jobs are usually what brings people to LA along with the favorable weather closer to the beach. Just prepare yourself for a lot of traffic. So the best answer to that problem is find a job as close as you can to where you live. What is it you do? If you do work 'In the Businesss' I apologize in advance. I do have friends who are nice people that work in Hollywood. But I just don't care for that part of LA.

My 2c,

Derek

Thanks so much to EVERYONE who responded, it is much appreciated. And thanks Derek for your input. I'm definitely going to read up on torrance and playa del rey! So i'll have to get back on how that goes. The pics of torrance were beautiful! I am in the entertainment industry, that is a big reason i'm moving there, like tons of other people, i'm sure it gets monotonous. I'm not offended...hehe...because i know how self-absorbed "entertainers" can be. There is always a bit of vanity involved in that industry, i don't care who u are, but i'm also a realist and down to earth, and don't believe money and fame is more important than everything else. I'm realistic about my prospects and capabilities but very confident too. I love southern California weather and diversity, but not enough to move there based solely on that. Mostly i'm just going to meet new people and have an experience and see where it goes, hopefully in a postive direction. Maybe i'll stay for a year maybe permanently if that is what ends up being the best path for me to take. I think there are pros and cons everywhere in this country. I grew up in Akron, Ohio and now live in a suberb of youngstown, Ohio because my boyfriend lives here. I actually don't mind the weather too much, i love the change of seasons and my family and friends are here. But there is not too far u can go in the entertainment industry here and job prospects and pay kinda suck, so in those ways moving to SoCal really appeal to me. I also love the beach. I really want to live near the beach so i can atleast have something very natural nearby. It may be a prerequisite to my sanity. lol Especially if i have to endure superficial, egotistical people all the time, i need a retreat to something...real! Not to say i'm a pessimist though, because i have faith wherever i live, i will weed out the people of substance and soul and connect with them. But of course i'd prefer not having to work too terribly hard to find them, if i can help it.

I'm going to school for business and have most experience in sales, dog grooming and hospitality. lol weird combinations i know. I've worked for some non-profits before and i'm looking into working for Green peace. I DEFINITELY plan on living near work, but i'd be ecstatic if i could live near my work and the beach. I'm NOT looking forward to driving in the traffic and will not do it for work everyday! So i would choose to work near my job over the beach if i had to, but desperately don't want to choose both. Santa monica seems like a nice walking city, thats partly why i want to move there. I have a roomate, maybe 2 possibly, so i'll be able to afford it. I'm bringing my yorkie, so some place with parks and places to walk her is necessary for me.

Sorry this is so long! lol You probably didn't need or want to know all that, but i sort of can't stop when i'm on a roll. Thanks again for the message and input!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Hi Amie,

I am glad I didn't offend you with my Hollywood comments. And I have to admit to being a bit jaded after growing up so close to it. After a while that scene tends to leave a bad taste in one's mouth. For every star that makes it there are a lot of homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc... that line the streets of Hollywood Blvd. That is the dark side of Tinsel Town.

But none the less it is big business with some decent folks working in the industry as well. So it is not all bad really. But there are some real slime bags to watch out for who prey on young women. So just be careful and check everything out first. Being an optimistic skeptic can be a good thing. Remember what is important to you.

If you plan to do some work or auditions in Hollywood then living a bit closer may not be a bad thing. So Playa Del Rey or Marina Del Rey are both nice options. Venice can be a bit seedy with higher crime in parts.

Take care and enjoy your adventure out West!

- Derek

Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
My wife lived in Belmont Shore before we were married and moved to Santa Monica, so needless to say, I have experience with both neighborhoods. It is true that the "LA vibe" is not nearly as strong in LB as it is in SM, but neither are the LA job opportunities. IMHO, SM is an amazing place to live. I'm just your average 20 something who works in a high rise in Century City, and I have never really had issues with the so-called fake, plastic people. SM is very expensive, so in my experiences, many of the people who live here are professionals with good paying jobs. There is also a large contingent of those who have been under rent control for years. If you're looking for the Hollywood type, you really have to go out of your way, it is just too expensive to live here without a full time job.

Anyways, here's a list of why I would choose SM over LB:
1. The Water Garden, Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, and Beverly Hills (the major westside job centers) are within 30 minutes of almost anywhere in Santa Monica, that is taking into account traffic.
2. The beaches here actually have waves.
3. great restaurants and bars all over the city and nearby areas.
4. great bus system is choose to use it.
5. plenty of bike lanes, not only on the beach, but also on the city streets.
6. close to LAX, which has the most flights in the region.

there are also a lot of small perks that come with living in santa monica that are too numerous to count, like access to the local jr. college, the santa monica stairs, and great farmer's markets just to name a few.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 PM

I am actually glad someone else gave the other side of coin in living in SM. Although I have never really cared for that area/vibe, some really like it or at least it doesn't bother them too much. So that is why I think it would be good for you to check it out for yourself.

Marina Del Rey and Playa Del Rey aren't too far from LA if you would like something different. And Playa Del Rey has real waves as well. Also there are a lot of jobs in Torrance and that surrounding region known as the South Bay.

- Derek

Old 07-14-2008, 01:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
MDR and PDR are also very nice areas, I used to live in PDR as well. The Marina area is almost as expensive, if not more expensive than SM. PDR is a bit cheaper, but it is also pretty sleepy as far as LA goes, yet traffic getting in and out of the area can be pretty bad. You are also a bit too close to LAX IMO. Those jumbo jets can get quite noisy. The South Bay is also a very nice area with great beach access. I wouldn't commute from that area to LA, but many people do, try to get on the northbound 405 at 8am, you'll see it firsthand. There are some jobs in that area though, not as many as in LA, but many are in aerospace.

I think you really just need to find a job before you ultimately choose where to live.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Yes, I agree with BRinSM. Looking for a job should be your first goal in one of your preferred areas.

Then you could find a roommate possibly and this would give you a chance to check out LA before committing to a longer term lease or rental.

Also if you need to go into Hollywood 'on occasion' for auditions, etc... living on the outskirts of the city wouldn't be too bad off peak hours. But if you land something doing the daily commute from Long Beach to Hollywood for example would be very bad. Then you would need to move in closer.

Traffic is a *Major* issue in LA which I am sure you are have heard about or have experienced on your trip out there. Going only 10 miles can take an hour+ in some parts of the city during rush hour. So distances on a map can be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California