Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,926 times

Advertisements

ew...inland empire??? noooooo.....dude, the best cultural and fun experiences are in the following cities: culver city, palms, venice, miracle mile, mid-city on wilshire, silver lake, eagle rock, los feliz, korea town, chinatown, J (japan) town....and..... avoid the stuck up places like: santa monica, westwood, beverly hills, brentwood, san fernando valley. and avoid the places where it's kinda scary: inglewood (the parts near culver city are pretty nice), compton, watts, downtown skid row area (don't fall for the "urban condos" bull **** sales pitch). basically, the best place I would recommend is culver city or venice or anywhere near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM

150 posts, read 797,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The Bay Area, where I live, is Northern California... are you interested in coming up this far? Some people aren't aware of California's vast size, so I'll remind you that we're a 5-7 hour drive from L.A. "Bay Area" covers the whole metro. of San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, and anything within a short distance of the SF Bay. So you'd have to get more specific, before I can answer your question! We have areas of high crime, like East Palo Alto (where I am now), East Oakland, Bayview, Emeryville, etc.; we also have extremely upscale neighborhoods, middle-class, and everything in-between! Anyway, if you give me more details, I'll try to give some better advice...
lol, people from the NE don't realize how huge CA is. When we first moved to SoCal in 2001, they used to ask if we'd been to visit San Fran yet. I had to explain to them that it's an eight-hour drive and that's like asking a NY'r if they've been to Richmond, Virginia yet.

Meki, have a look at Ventura County as well as 'LA'. There really is no 'LA'. It's a collection of towns. I really hope you can visit the area before making a choice. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:41 PM

150 posts, read 797,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meki089 View Post
<i>Studio City, Encino, Sheman Oaks, Burbank or Pasadena</i>, and the prices of homes in these areas are expensive? Or affordable?
Very few places in California have homes which can be described as 'affordable'. If a community is even halfway desirable, be prepared to pay high housing costs. I'm originally from NY and know from high prices. This whole state is one big NYC in terms of housing costs.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 PM

20 posts, read 59,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The city of Los Angeles has numerous rough areas, but many people when referring to the county, refer it as Los Angeles. This is a greater area.

The Inland Empire is huge, I would check out places such as Norco, Corona, Yucaipa, Redlands, Mira Loma, Diamond Bar, Claremont, San Dimas, Chino, Claremont...keep doing research.

Leimert Park is very ghetto, if you are an African American and don't mind, it's an excellent place to live.

San Bernardino, don't go there. It's become South Central of the Inland Empire.

Riverside, has many ok spots, and many not ok spots. It's a very nice area, unfortunately parts have scoured by gang members, even though the neighborhood looks peaceful.

Rancho Cucamonga is a very nice place to live in the Inland Empire, it has only a few rough spots.

I would stay away from Carson if I were you, and Long Beach is 1/4 positive, and much of it is very dangerous.

You've got to continue researching with this site, if you felt my information was helpful, click rate this post positively below my quote, that's the way of thanking me. I hope that helps, sorry if not everything was covered, happy to answer anymore questions.

THANK YOU, i am african american but i dont want to live in the "ghetto". But thanks for the list of okay areas.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, we're the right place for that! The Bay Area is the original "Silicon Valley", so we have an abundance of tech-related companies. The job market isn't as good as it once was, but I think it's still pretty strong. Some of the biggest companies are here, like Hewlett-Packard, Google, Electronic Arts, Sony, Apple, Oracle, Sun, eBay, Netflix, and so on. If you like the idea of working for this type of company, I'm sure you could find some openings... also tons of smaller web-based companies around, which can pay quite well. If you ended up working in Silicon Valley, I'd suggest living in the South Bay - San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, etc. This would make for a much easier commute, and it's also a nice area to live!
oh, thank you... I didnt even know all these companies were in the bay area. this is looking good for me

Old 02-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranga View Post
ew...inland empire??? noooooo.....dude, the best cultural and fun experiences are in the following cities: culver city, palms, venice, miracle mile, mid-city on wilshire, silver lake, eagle rock, los feliz, korea town, chinatown, J (japan) town....and..... avoid the stuck up places like: santa monica, westwood, beverly hills, brentwood, san fernando valley. and avoid the places where it's kinda scary: inglewood (the parts near culver city are pretty nice), compton, watts, downtown skid row area (don't fall for the "urban condos" bull **** sales pitch). basically, the best place I would recommend is culver city or venice or anywhere near there.

thank you so very much

Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYC View Post
I really hope you can visit the area before making a choice. Good luck.
yes, thats why im trying to get an idea of what parts to consider moving to.. of course i will visit before i make my choice, i have to know what im getting into. wouldnt want to move and be disappointed once im settled.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,833 times
Default Los Angeles Areas...

Quote:
The city of Los Angeles has numerous rough areas, but many people when referring to the county, refer it as Los Angeles. This is a greater area.

The Inland Empire is huge, I would check out places such as Norco, Corona, Yucaipa, Redlands, Mira Loma, Diamond Bar, Claremont, San Dimas, Chino, Claremont...keep doing research.

Leimert Park is very ghetto, if you are an African American and don't mind, it's an excellent place to live.

Riverside, has many ok spots, and many not ok spots. It's a very nice area, unfortunately parts have scoured by gang members, even though the neighborhood looks peaceful.

Rancho Cucamonga is a very nice place to live in the Inland Empire, it has only a few rough spots.

I would stay away from Carson if I were you, and Long Beach is 1/4 positive, and much of it is very dangerous.

You've got to continue researching with this site, if you felt my information was helpful, click rate this post positively below my quote, that's the way of thanking me. I hope that helps, sorry if not everything was covered, happy to answer anymore questions.
Moving to Los Angeles can be quite tricky if you don't know what cities offer what; the cost of housing, schools nearby, etc. I can not agree with the poster regarding Leimert Park as being very ghetto. I live in Leimert Park and find the atmosphere here to be extremely culturally enriching to one who is African American. With surrounding Baldwin Hills, Ladera Heights, and View Park-Windsor Hills (virtually the only Los Angeles black enclaves left and sporting the wealthiest majority-African American areas in the United States), the area is tree lined and emaculate. The homes are huge, spacious, and gorgeous. The neighbors are friendly and value education and enrichment on various diverse issues. Dubbed the 'Black Bevery Hills', the area is absolutely lovely. It is an area not only for 'African Americans who don't mind a ghetto', it is a place where all races and ethnicities live, yes, caucasion people too.

There are also wonderful parts of Inglewood that are extremely desirable.

I would highly recomment any of these four locations if it is affordable to you. You could not find a more cultually aware location. All ethnic groups live here and everyone should experience it. If you find the culture of blacks to be 'ghetto', then perhaps the poster should take inventory of their social skills.

For anyone desiring to locate to Los Angeles, the internet offers a wealth of information regarding each city within statistically. It would be of your best interest to actually speak with someone who actually lives in each city to determine the data the census won't give you. People bash areas for different reasons, but remember that crimes occur everywhere (unless you are thinking of Malibu and even there, you have other problems such as drug abuse). No city is immune and they all have pockets that harbor true 'ghetto' mentalities. The media will be quick to downplay any ethnic neighborhood as well, so I would not recommend paying attention to the news. Either way, if you are still looking, I wish you well.

Last edited by just.me; 04-26-2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 AM

56 posts, read 165,150 times
Quote:

I've lived in Riverside for 18 years and I'd say it's got to be one of the safest places to live, anywhere. I am raising my two daughters (now teenagers) who are just doing wonderfully. There must be gangs here, somewhere, but where?....They must keep to themselves.

It's a fairly good-sized town (pop 250,000+) but we say it's "the big town with the small town feel". Everywhere I go, I meet at least one person I know, sometimes more than 5! As for San Bernardino city, I teach at an elementary school there. There is supposed to be gang activity in San Berdo, and there is a high poverty rate inside the city, but most of those families I encounter are new Americans working hard to build their lives here. I don't know why anyone would call it "South Central"--it actually has an almost rural feel to it.

As someone else said, if you like the city life, you wouldn't want to move to these other places. All of California and NYC are almost complete opposites when it comes to cities. Most of our cities are more suburban in feel and spread. You don't feel the population crush that you feel in NYC (unless you're on the freeway in rush hour! )

I lived in LA before I came to Riverside and we are a 45-minute drive from there now. It sounded to me like you would enjoy living there. In NYC, you have nightlife and restaurants, multi-cultural shopping, etc. (I've visited several times.) I think you would experience a great culture shock if you didn't move to a metropolitan city here. You would find those things in other cities, but not in the density that you are accustomed to. Plus, remember that NY is much older than CA. San Francisco is probably the most comparable city we have here in CA. If you want city life and don't want to be disappointed, think seriously about San Francisco or LA. As for salaries and rent, you'll find a way to make it. Everyone else does. Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's all good View Post
I've lived in Riverside for 18 years and I'd say it's got to be one of the safest places to live, anywhere. I am raising my two daughters (now teenagers) who are just doing wonderfully. There must be gangs here, somewhere, but where?....They must keep to themselves.

As someone else said, if you like the city life, you wouldn't want to move to these other places. All of California and NYC are almost complete opposites when it comes to cities. Most of our cities are more suburban in feel and spread. You don't feel the population crush that you feel in NYC (unless you're on the freeway in rush hour! )
The above post was right on. As was the post about every city having a good part and a bad part. Don't listen to the news. Find a contact in the area you are interested in. Talk to them over the phone, via email, or if possible, visit them in the area you are interested in. That is the best way to get an idea of what you are looking for.

As for culture, you will likely enjoy living closer to LA or San Fran than out near the Inland Empire or other "suburban" area. You will find that CA is very "spread out" and that outside of the two major areas, the "culture" is very different from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California