Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM

20 posts, read 59,820 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving out of NYC, to California. Thing is I dont really know the areas like that. I need someone to fill me in on the good/bad neighborhoods. There's nothing wrong with the hood/ghetto but if I wanted that I'd stay in Brooklyn,NY. So if anyone can help me make a decision of what part of California to move to then I'd really appreciate that.<3

Before posting here I asked around and people said NOT to move to WATTS, COMPTON or L.A.

People recommended moving to INLAND EMPIRE, RANCHO CUCAMONGA, SAN BERNARDINO, RIVERSIDE, CARSON, LEIMART PARK, LONG BEACH.

Is L.A really that bad.. I really have no idea as to what part of Cali to move to. I will be 21 when I move to CA, so of course I want to live somewhere thats live, good shopping areas, good dining. Im not really bothered by crowded areas Im from N.Y I like the city life. I'll be needing either a three bedroom with 2 bathrooms, because it will be me, my sister, and my bestfriend. My sister will be a licensed school teacher, and I will be doing animation, web/graphic design. So we will be working and my bestfriend will be in school to become a registered nurse.

No one mentioned INGLEWOOD to me, is that a bad neighborbood?

Anyhoo any advice/feedback will be GREATLY appreciated.

*MICKEY

Last edited by meki089; 01-20-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
Just remember that L.A. is such a blanket term that is often used to describe the entire Southern California area. I've been visiting frequently to get a feel for where I want to live.

I haven't heard favorable things about San Bernadino and Riverside, but then again, it depends on your preferences and priorities. Long Beach has some up and coming areas that I've looked at, but not in person LOL. Yeah, based on what you said, I'd avoid Inglewood, but then again, I only drove by it and didn't hang there LOL.

If I was going to move to "L.A.", I'd pick West L.A. like Playa del Rey or Santa Monica. I would avoid L.A. proper, but then again, if you want the city life, it may be for you.

South Bay (Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, etc.) is nice and some consider it to be "L.A."

But, then again, what is your priority and price range...I'm sure the locals will chime in I'm not officially a resident yet LOL.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:01 PM

28 posts, read 98,709 times
If you want night life then West LA, Santa Monica and the Marina are the best -- but they can be pricey. With that price tag comes access to hollywood, BH, Venice Beach, westwood, etc. and very nice weather which usually averages about high 60's in the winter and low 80's in the summer.

You can find nicely priced rentals in Palms, Mar Vista and Culver City which are all a part of West LA. The beach cities on the westside (Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo Beach) are very pricey.

Stay clear of Carson, Long Beach and South LA as the areas are not the greatest and known for violence.

If you want to be in the action, some parts of Hollywood are great -- but you want to make sure you see the area first.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 PM

...and The bay Area Would Fall Under What Part Of Ca.. Is That A Good Place To Live, Or Is It High In Crime & Violence Also?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm going to look into these places. Thx <3

I know more people can respond

Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meki089 View Post
...and The bay Area Would Fall Under What Part Of Ca.. Is That A Good Place To Live, Or Is It High In Crime & Violence Also?
The Bay Area, where I live, is Northern California... are you interested in coming up this far? Some people aren't aware of California's vast size, so I'll remind you that we're a 5-7 hour drive from L.A. "Bay Area" covers the whole metro. of San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, and anything within a short distance of the SF Bay. So you'd have to get more specific, before I can answer your question! We have areas of high crime, like East Palo Alto (where I am now), East Oakland, Bayview, Emeryville, etc.; we also have extremely upscale neighborhoods, middle-class, and everything in-between! Anyway, if you give me more details, I'll try to give some better advice...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 AM

57 posts, read 296,696 times
Smile Why hasn't Anyone mentioned the valley???

Hello there! My name is Nicole. I'm 34 years old, and have lived in southern Ca all my life. Santa Monica is good if you want to be right by the beach. Other wise I recommend Studio City, Encino, Sheman Oaks, Burbank or Pasadena. You won't be disappointed! Good luck to you! My husband and I are moving to New York... Warwick to be exact. About 1 1/2 outside Manhattan. I guess the grass is always greener.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The Bay Area, where I live, is Northern California... are you interested in coming up this far? Some people aren't aware of California's vast size, so I'll remind you that we're a 5-7 hour drive from L.A. "Bay Area" covers the whole metro. of San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, and anything within a short distance of the SF Bay. So you'd have to get more specific, before I can answer your question! We have areas of high crime, like East Palo Alto (where I am now), East Oakland, Bayview, Emeryville, etc.; we also have extremely upscale neighborhoods, middle-class, and everything in-between! Anyway, if you give me more details, I'll try to give some better advice...

Oh sorry about that I'm not very familiar with CA.. But, I don't want to be in an area of high crime, I'm trying to get away from all of that. I'd like somewhere affordable more to the middle class side. How's the areas in Oakland and San Fran?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
Hello there! My name is Nicole. I'm 34 years old, and have lived in southern Ca all my life. Santa Monica is good if you want to be right by the beach. Other wise I recommend Studio City, Encino, Sheman Oaks, Burbank or Pasadena. You won't be disappointed! Good luck to you! My husband and I are moving to New York... Warwick to be exact. About 1 1/2 outside Manhattan. I guess the grass is always greener.
<i>Studio City, Encino, Sheman Oaks, Burbank or Pasadena</i>, and the prices of homes in these areas are expensive? Or affordable?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
I would recommend also to look into Ventura County, Thousand Oaks, Westlake, Agoura and the Calabasas area too. Very safe and very nice and close enough to the beach or LA. I myself am looking into the OC area which looks great too. Prices may be high to some people but I do not know what is high to you. Good Luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California