U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Northern California really more laid-back than Southern California?
Yes 103 38.15%
No 84 31.11%
Can't really tell the difference between the two 28 10.37%
Varies from each individual 55 20.37%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,743,383 times
Reputation: 3395

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I really think it depends on where you live in the Bay Area or LA. I bounce all over the East Bay and SF on a weekly basis/daily, and because I live in Oakland near a BART stop and 5 mins from the Bay Bridge, it's REALLY easy to do so. I also go to Napa/Sonoma A LOT since it's usually less than an hour. In the past few years, I've made it down to Big Sur/Monterey/Santa Cruz a handful of times, but it's usually when people from out of town are visiting. Same deal with Yosemite/Tahoe.

Whenever I visit friends in LA, we rarely leave their side of town. If they live in Venice, we stay in Venice, in Hollywood, same thing- there's plenty to do in each respective area, so it's not worth it to leave. When I lived in SD, I'd be all over the place too on the weekends (PB/Gaslamp/Hillcrest/North Park etc) because it wasn't a hassle and there was less things to do, overall in each place.


I think there's more of a VARIETY of things to do in Northern CA (coast, forests, mountains, cities, burbs), but probably LESS things to do overall than the whole LA area.

In LA/SoCal there are more options for specific things (Beaches, desert, night clubs/shows), because each area builds itself up with options. But you don't have nearly the diversity/contrast of landscapes/environments you have up here

I'm one of the few people that like both NorCal/SoCal, although for my lifestyle I prefer the urban Bay Area to anywhere else in the state. Maybe it's because I've lived in both and enjoyed living in both places, instead of growing up confined to one or the other. Most people I know from NorCal that hate LA grew up here and haven't spent much time down there. Same deal with people in SoCal who always seem puzzled why I'd want to live where it isn't 80 degree beach weather all year.
Folks, this is the new California gospel.

Let's just close the thread now.

Okay, okay, I'll add that NorCal away from the Bay Area and Sacramento is probably more laid back than the rest of the state. However, I'm not sure that necessarily qualifies it as any friendlier. I am in Mendocino County as I type this and the people I've met have been just okay, not nearly as "small town friendly" as I expected.

I spent three days in LA/OC in February and, yeah, it was faster-paced, but the people weren't rude at all. Of course, I stayed away from the places we all know are chock full of snobs--West LA, Calabasas, South OC, and Glendale--so I think that made a difference. And I was in San Jose, Campbell and Santa Cruz last weekend and it felt nothing like the pressure cooker of SF, the Peninsula and Marin. So, yeah, it does depend on where in each region one is as to the quality of people they'll find.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 3,186,691 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It does matter how many shows and events are going on as it gives you more options. For example, back in 2009 when my favorite band canceled their SD show I drove up to Anaheim after work to catch the show there, took me about an hour from Carlsbad. They also canceled their ONLY Bay Area show. Now if I was living up here at the time I would have been SOL as that was the only Northern CA performance. If so many people didn't go to these shows and events because of traffic as you claim then why does LA have so many more events and concerts? It's not like they are doing 5 shows in 5 different places in the region. Clearly attendance at sporting events, concerts, etc..show that traffic isn't much of an impediment to enjoying all the entertainment options in SoCal.
Was that, by any chance, Depeche Mode? I had tickets to their Mountain View show and was so bummed they cancelled.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
16,645 posts, read 27,429,187 times
Reputation: 10355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Was that, by any chance, Depeche Mode? I had tickets to their Mountain View show and was so bummed they cancelled.
Yes it was!! I actually saw them in NYC that summer then had to see them again so I caught their Anaheim show after they canceled their SD show.

They better not cancel their show this upcoming September at the Shoreline because like in 2009 that's the only show up here. One thing you can count on is them never canceling their LA concerts. I just liked having all those options in Southern Ca when it came to stuff like that.

Really looking forward to their concert again this year, Delta Machine has some great songs on it. I've seen them twice on each of their last two tours (05/06 and 09) but probably won't be able to this time around.

Last edited by sav858; 04-15-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
 
12 posts, read 29,682 times
Reputation: 17
I was born near San Diego and have lived for most of my life in the San Jose area, but I have tons of family in LA so I've been to socal frequently. I actually think socal tends to be more laid back than norcal...a little too much for my tastes. I like the laid-back culture, but I do like some ambitious energy around me, and there is more of that in the Bay Area/SF. When I'm in LA, I feel like I'm on a constant vacation because of the lazy, slow-moving energy around me. It's pleasant in its own way, though. I think I could be happy in both.

I'll be better able to contribute in a couple years because I'll be living and working in SF and LA...then I'll have perspectives of living in the four big metro areas of California (San Jose, SF, LA, SD).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 AM
 
529 posts, read 738,793 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The difference seems to be that the older people who complain about California going to hell on City Data boards are almost all Southern Californians and usually from LA (sometimes from the IE or OC). Even though there have been significant negative changes in both the Bay Area and LA (and in other SoCal cities), the number of complainers and whiners from the Bay Area doesn't seem that large on the C-D boards.

Why is this?
Bay area people have no character.. not as passionate and stretches up to Sacramento. I think at this rate I' prefer L.A just for the fact more people speak their mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 AM
 
529 posts, read 738,793 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The whining does tend to be a distinctly SoCal phenomenon (and predated the current slide of CA government into total dysfunctionality), despite the Bay Area having gone through the exact same changes and experiencing the same phenomena. Sav858 and I both mentioned the Bay Area having a slightly better economy and better wages - that may be the key factor in why there are fewer Bay Area whiners.
I probably fit in better there because I feel like Northern Californias only major "whiner" right now. I've been laughed at and had smart remarks made to me for being overly "negative".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
735 posts, read 819,718 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
NorCal has better weed and seems to have a larger percentage of people that smoke so that might make it seem more laid back too.
It was definitely laid back around here during the drug epidemics of the late 80s & 90s.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 AM
 
529 posts, read 738,793 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The SoCal towns referred to here lurch more to the right-wing ideology than the NorCal towns mentioned. Many will gladly pay more to avoid that stuff.

If L.A.'s sprawl causes people to "find their place", it also causes them to "stay in their place", since they can't go anywhere else with all the freeways clogged up. Sad state of affairs, having to be virtually imprisoned in Newberry Park or Thousand Stumps, pondering another trip to the mall.
Funny because I feel this way now and I live north of Sacramento. When going to Roseville, I have pondered many times about going to the mall up in that area or planning what time exactly to leave the damn house to avoid the traffic. I wouldn't do any worse in L.A at all I am convinced.. if anything it could be better in some regards because the region at least has a whole lot more to choose from peoplewise that suit you and for amenities as well. I just don't hit it off too well North.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 AM
 
529 posts, read 738,793 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're not really avoiding that stuff by living in Walnut Creek and San Ramon, sure they may lean more to the left but they're not exactly "liberal".

Also with the exception of people going to SF I find most people I the Bay Area tend to stay in their place as well when it comes to the East Bay, Penninsula, and South Bay. Few people i know ever goes to South Bay or the Penninsula from the East Bay for anything really as there is no need. I don't really see how people pondering their next trip to the strip mall in Thousand Oaks is any different than people doing that in San Jose or Pleasanton, much of the Bay Area is suburban sprawl as well.
In my time in Northern California, I've found many pockets feel just as conservative as they say SoCal is. They just are too moderate to say what they really think about immigration and all that so you either seem to get liberals or moderate conservatives but too many moderate redneck conservatives create an annoyance also. I'd rather be in more truly conservative OC/LA.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 AM
 
529 posts, read 738,793 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's pretty debatable and subjective, unless you're really into nature I personally don't think there are more interesting places to visit in Northern CA at all. Between LA and San Diego there is far more to do and see IMO than the Bay Area and Sacramento EXCEPT for nature related places as the forests and mountains are better up here.
You're so right.. NorCal is so boring. Not as many people to pick from, jobs or places to hang out at or places to go, attractions. It all gets old fast up there.. Nice at first maybe but it wears and grates on your nerves when you find its all really hicky with wannabe rednecks FULL OF TRAFFIC ALSO vs the South and the nerve they got to call SoCal conservative hell?? Theres lots of it here too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top