U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Northern California really more laid-back than Southern California?
Yes 103 38.15%
No 84 31.11%
Can't really tell the difference between the two 28 10.37%
Varies from each individual 55 20.37%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 12:41 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,013,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
San Diego is slower paced than LA County, but I'd say is around the same level as Orange County. SD County is culturally very similar to Orange County, just less Asians.
I disagree that Orange and San Diego counties are culturally similar. In Orange County, I would estimate that around half of the people you meet are California natives who grew up in Orange County or elsewhere in California. In San Diego County, on the other hand, it seems as if most people you meet are transplants from other states, which gives the county decidedly less California flavor than Orange County. People in San Diego County just seem ruder and less affable than people in Los Angeles and Orange counties, at least in my experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,612,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I disagree that Orange and San Diego counties are culturally similar. In Orange County, I would estimate that around half of the people you meet are California natives who grew up in Orange County or elsewhere in California. In San Diego County, on the other hand, it seems as if most people you meet are transplants from other states, which gives the county decidedly less California flavor than Orange County. People in San Diego County just seem ruder and less affable than people in Los Angeles and Orange counties, at least in my experience.
Interesting. People often say the other way around, that San Diego is slower paced and has more friendly people. I don't really see a difference between Rancho Bernardo and Mission Viejo culture, though.

By the way, I found that 35.3% of SD County residents were born in state, vs. 34.3% of LA County residents, although a large part of.that is because LA County has proportionally more immigrants. Still, seems like the percentage of transplants in both counties seems pretty darn close. No indication that LA County has a higher percentage of Californian born people.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...by-county.html

Old 09-15-2020, 11:21 AM

16,640 posts, read 27,406,244 times
Quote:
Interesting. People often say the other way around, that San Diego is slower paced and has more friendly people. I don't really see a difference between Rancho Bernardo and Mission Viejo culture, though.

By the way, I found that 35.3% of SD County residents were born in state, vs. 34.3% of LA County residents, although a large part of.that is because LA County has proportionally more immigrants. Still, seems like the percentage of transplants in both counties seems pretty darn close. No indication that LA County has a higher percentage of Californian born people.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...by-county.html
Agreed; Sd is friendlier imo. LA/OC is more congested and more of a rat race than SD. Plus more of that tacky, flashy SoCal stereotypes than in SD, especially Orange County.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed; Sd is friendlier imo. LA/OC is more congested and more of a rat race than SD. Plus more of that tacky, flashy SoCal stereotypes than in SD, especially Orange County.
Well, I'm not really seeing it either way, actually. La Jolla, Carmel Valley, all those wealthy communities in San Diego, are pretty much like Laguna Beach or Dana Point. Rancho Bernardo is really very similar to Mission Viejo, just without a lake. Culturally, South OC and the SD County suburbs are pretty darn similar, and yes, you can definitely find some flashy communities in San Diego as well as some low key communities in Orange County.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:41 AM

8,054 posts, read 3,476,981 times
Your poll does not have the correct possibilities listed - in Northern CA, there are lots of intense people who work in high tech jobs . . . so the idea of "laid back" would not apply to them.

In Southern CA, there are lots of "fake" people (too many different "kinds" to mention) - I would imagine all of that fakeness takes effort, so I wouldn't term those people "laid back" either.

What are you getting at?

What do you really want to say?

The poll is useless and not stating your hypothesis is passive-aggressive.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Your poll does not have the correct possibilities listed - in Northern CA, there are lots of intense people who work in high tech jobs . . . so the idea of "laid back" would not apply to them.

In Southern CA, there are lots of "fake" people (too many different "kinds" to mention) - I would imagine all of that fakeness takes effort, so I wouldn't term those people "laid back" either.

What are you getting at?

I'm not the OP, but you kind of have a point. There's this outside perception that the Bay Area is full of drug slackers, that techies at Google have tremendous work life balance and have rock climbing gyms at their corporate office, and how techies live to work. Then there's a flip side that says that techies are workaholics and work long hours and weekends. Definitely two huge opposing views on how the Silicon Valley life is really like.

Both can be true, by the way. Your own pace of life might depend much more on the company you work for and your position rather than what city you live.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:07 PM

2,323 posts, read 760,709 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not really seeing it either way, actually. La Jolla, Carmel Valley, all those wealthy communities in San Diego, are pretty much like Laguna Beach or Dana Point. Rancho Bernardo is really very similar to Mission Viejo, just without a lake. Culturally, South OC and the SD County suburbs are pretty darn similar, and yes, you can definitely find some flashy communities in San Diego as well as some low key communities in Orange County.
You've lived or have had extensive visits to all of these areas to back up this opinion?

Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM

2,323 posts, read 760,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

What are you getting at?

The poll is over 12 years old.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
You've lived or have had extensive visits to all of these areas to back up this opinion?
I lived in South Orange County (RSM) several years and stayed in Rancho Bernardo at my parents house for several months.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 PM

203 posts, read 91,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was born in the SF Valley and grew up near Malibu in a town we called Tinseltown.
The Jones's were everywhere.

I relocated to San Diego Ca in 1993 and I will be here until I die or relocate out of state to retire in OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California