U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Northern California really more laid-back than Southern California?
Yes 103 38.15%
No 84 31.11%
Can't really tell the difference between the two 28 10.37%
Varies from each individual 55 20.37%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 PM

16,569 posts, read 27,320,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Ok, but you certainly implied it.
only in your head.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The difference seems to be that the older people who complain about California going to hell on City Data boards are almost all Southern Californians and usually from LA (sometimes from the IE or OC). Even though there have been significant negative changes in both the Bay Area and LA (and in other SoCal cities), the number of complainers and whiners from the Bay Area doesn't seem that large on the C-D boards.

Why is this?
Well considering there are about 3x as many people in Southern CA than the Bay Area, odds are you're going to have more people looking to leave since there are a helluva lot more people here. Shove 20+ million people in the Bay Area and you'd probably end up with a similar sentiments from more people.

The malcontents tend to be older and on the more conservative side, the Bay Area has the least amount of conservatives of any metro area in the state. I think a lot of them have left already as the Bay Area has some of the lowest population growth in the state. I think 2008 was the first time it even grew since 2000 according to an article from the SF Chronicle. The Bay Area is a lot more homogeneous in the types of people/mentality there than SoCal so you don't see the diversity of opinions that you would form people in SoCal.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 PM

34,140 posts, read 58,668,247 times
Quote:
The Bay Area is a lot more homogeneous in the types of people/mentality there than SoCal so you don't see the diversity of opinions that you would form people in SoCal.
As far as politics yes. But even there, its mainly LA county that has large amounts of liberals and the rest of the region swings the other way.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:40 PM

287 posts, read 494,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as politics yes. But even there, its mainly LA county that has large amounts of liberals and the rest of the region swings the other way.
In West LA yes. As far as LA county goes, I don't think so. Look at Prop. 8, it got passed up in LA County so its not as liberal as you think it is. A Democratic region does not necessarily mean it is liberal overall.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:40 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,431,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well considering there are about 3x as many people in Southern CA than the Bay Area, odds are you're going to have more people looking to leave since there are a helluva lot more people here. Shove 20+ million people in the Bay Area and you'd probably end up with a similar sentiments from more people.
Those aren't really the demographics of C-D, though. C-D has a pretty sizeable Northern Californian representation as a whole, although the number of C-D posters who have lived in both Northern and Southern CA is disproportionate to the total percentage of Californians who have lived in both in the general population.

Quote:
The malcontents tend to be older and on the more conservative side, the Bay Area has the least amount of conservatives of any metro area in the state. I think a lot of them have left already as the Bay Area has some of the lowest population growth in the state.
The Bay Area, however, has gone through significant ethnic changes in the last 30 years, just as SoCal has. Perhaps it's because the Bay Area's economy is slightly better? (which is not saying much)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Those aren't really the demographics of C-D, though. C-D has a pretty sizeable Northern Californian representation as a whole, although the number of C-D posters who have lived in both Northern and Southern CA is disproportionate to the total percentage of Californians who have lived in both in the general population.
Maybe in the California forum but the two Bay Area forums are not as active compared to LA, OC, or even San Diego ones.
Quote:
The Bay Area, however, has gone through significant ethnic changes in the last 30 years, just as SoCal has. Perhaps it's because the Bay Area's economy is slightly better? (which is not saying much)
Those ethnic changes probably bother a certain demographic more prevalent in SoCal imo. A slightly better economy and wages of course help too. SD's economy isn't as bad as a lot of other parts of SoCal like LA and IE and people seem more content here.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 AM

14 posts, read 35,570 times
Quote:
The difference seems to be that the older people who complain about California going to hell on City Data boards are almost all Southern Californians and usually from LA (sometimes from the IE or OC). Even though there have been significant negative changes in both the Bay Area and LA (and in other SoCal cities), the number of complainers and whiners from the Bay Area doesn't seem that large on the C-D boards.

Why is this?

It's not just older people who complain about the condition of the state. Younger generations are concerned as well. SoCal has changed significantly in terms of cost of living, traffic, crime, graffiti, school scores, and businesses available to meet the needs of the middle class. These are why SoCal residents are "whining".

Old 05-31-2009, 02:13 AM

17,444 posts, read 25,431,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscs View Post
It's not just older people who complain about the condition of the state. Younger generations are concerned as well. SoCal has changed significantly in terms of cost of living, traffic, crime, graffiti, school scores, and businesses available to meet the needs of the middle class. These are why SoCal residents are "whining".
The whining does tend to be a distinctly SoCal phenomenon (and predated the current slide of CA government into total dysfunctionality), despite the Bay Area having gone through the exact same changes and experiencing the same phenomena. Sav858 and I both mentioned the Bay Area having a slightly better economy and better wages - that may be the key factor in why there are fewer Bay Area whiners.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
So am I correctly interpreting the comments by assuming NorCal is more politically conservative than SoCal? And that the Bay Area is/is seen as more laid back as a whole, while SD is one of the most easy going spots in CA? I have heard there's a lot of homeless people in SD, is this true and should it be a deterrent to living/visiting there? I'm new to the board so if I'm doing something wrong... lemme know. From PA btw.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,282,350 times
Old thread, but it brings to mind recent experiences for me. From a business or consumer standpoint many people in SoCal are a lot more lackadaisical about getting things done. Was down there twice in the last month and a half buying two cars from two different dealerships (one for me, the other for my mom). Prices are a lot lower down there vs. Sacramento so it was worth the effort, but I was getting pretty exasperated with both dealerships by the time I got the keys and hit I-5 North. With both I would call the sales manager about four times over the course of a week to work out the deal, make sure the car was prepped and the contract was ready for me to sign. I'd get off the plane, take a taxi to the dealership and nothing would be done. I'd be facing an eight hour drive home and had to fart around for two hours while they got all these things done. I would think after that many calls it would have been, but those Orange County folks just didn't seem too motivated. Kept thinking how I never experienced anything like that in NorCal. If that's a definition of "laid back" I'd say Southern California is much more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California