Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,971 times

Advertisements

well, Im a student who is kinda fully sponcered,so, technically I will not have to pay school tuitions and books.

Basically, I really love the way how California looks like with having the palm trees around threre.Therefor, I decided to live and study there.

I get 17000/year .Is it enough for me based on the living costs including apt rent , transportation , gas , groceries etc..?

what's the minimum wage to live there?for places like Los Angeles , long beach ,San Jose , San Francisco and Riverside

Also I put Oregon,North Carolina,Tennessee,Texas,Florida,Arizona and Ohaio as an alternatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
$17000/yr will just about cover the rent. Where do you plan on getting the money for everything else?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe88 View Post
well, Im a student who is kinda fully sponcered,so, technically I will not have to pay school tuitions and books.

Basically, I really love the way how California looks like with having the palm trees around threre.Therefor, I decided to live and study there.

I get 17000/year .Is it enough for me based on the living costs including apt rent , transportation , gas , groceries etc..?

what's the minimum wage to live there?for places like Los Angeles , long beach ,San Jose , San Francisco and Riverside

Also I put Oregon,North Carolina,Tennessee,Texas,Florida,Arizona and Ohaio as an alternatives
OK, this is 17k on top of having all your schooling paid for?

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,810 times
If you can get a couple of part time jobs and share with other students I think it should be OK,not great but possible.
Some people do it with no $17 k from the sky...

Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,514 times
I'm also a college student and I'm thinking of moving to Orange County, CA. I've been reading a lot of threads here and basically I know renting & the cost of living is expensive, crime rate is high in some areas. I would like to know more about job growth in Orange County for a future web designer & developer like me. Where would this job be needed the most (anywhere in CA, not only Orange County)? How much should I be paid when I'm still in college and work in this profession? How much is the salary after I graduate? How much is the rent in Fountain Valley and Irvine if I only need 1 room (small room is fine), shared bathroom is ok and utilities included? How much is the rent for the same conditions but a private bathroom is needed? In Fountain Valley, where is considered safe? Anywhere in Irvine is safe? Can I move to Orange County if I already saved enough money for my final 6 months in college and I only need to find a full time job to pay for used books ($100 every 2 months), rent & living cost, loans debt (like $300/m) or I should consider to move later?

Thank you!

P.S. Where are you from Abe88? When are you going to move?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
Depends on what school you want to attend.

That might cover you through out the school year but once Summer or Winter comes...are you going to remain in CA?

I suggest you dorm unless you are planning on having an apartment where you are going to have to pay rent even once school is out. You cant go back home and expect to find another living space every year.

Also, like others mentioned...you might want to consider finding a part time job for miscellaneous expenses...which are quire a lot when youre in college.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Actually im in a confusing situation . I got a scholarship from my other country of my parents.I was born in the U.S but never lived there since I left it when I was just about one year old!. I've been there for a couple of times and I liked it. Im now in Canada as where I'm supposed to study.I will be completing my second year this October.By the way I got accepted in a university there and everything is seemed to be perfect here.On the other hand, I don't know where to go or what to do if I'm transfered to the U.S!!

Im not Canadian but I really like Canada because it's safe,so many cultures, have a high education degree." with my all respects to harverd "but Canadains are so restricted on the academic field especially the medical side .This is what made "Canadian Universities"one of the best countries to study in. However, im curious about moving to the U.S and be an official American which I would preffer from my prospective to live and study there.

Perhaps I should write another thread about either choosing the U.S over Canada or not!

Sorry for long story "it's like writing the story of my whole live over here!!" But don't blame me because Im having a hard time on choosing between the easy way "Canada" and the hard long way"U.S.A", and I wish that someone could direct me to the right path/way!!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 PM

Thanks though guys , If im going to California apparently I would definitely have to have a part-time job besides the 17k which of course would cover the majority of my living expenses with adding the part-time job's salary

Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 57,829 times
It makes me sad to hear the naive expectations of California, coming from people who have never been here.

It's extremely expensive- the highest gas prices in the entire US were in a town called Stockton, not far from where I live. Rent, depending on where you live, can be as high as 1200 a month for a two-bed, one-bath apartment. Food is up. Minimum wage is $8, by the way. Jobs are apparently becoming scarce, college is muy expensive- even community college, with 20 bucks a unit, books, supplies, etc.

And, no, i've never met a movie star. I live in NorCal, and even if i lived in SOCal, i probably wouldn't have met any anyways. My mom met Arnold Swarzennegher when he was making his bid for governor.

CA is nothing like what people, who've never been here, imagined. It just like the other states, but much more expensive, ****ty laws, and an ocean that's frigidly cold.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California