Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 12,708 times

Advertisements

Redding is beautiful and yet unpretentious. People seem more blue collar and friendly as opposed to intellectual. I guess it depends on what type of people you like. There are many interesting rural areas with acreage and people with horses and goats etc. If you like snow it seems to get some of that type of weather but it also has very hot summers. People come from all over to enjoy the lake.
Currently we are working on our house we are interested in renting in Round Mountain which sits 24 miles outside of Redding. It's very quiet and the surrounding mountains are beautiful. If you keep driving past Round Mountain you find yourself in Burney, a small mountain town with some beautiful falls. I imagine that if we were able find jobs in the area and live in this mountain home it would be really nice. We'd get the quiet and beauty of country living, the recreation of the lake and snow sports and yet be within driving distance of San Fransisco or Sacramento.
I know that the people are friendly and the area is beautiful and there are lots of bargain places to shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 59,091 times
Default Redding vs. Alturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The record searchlight (hearst publication) is a pitiful excuse for a newspaper so I wouldnt expect to glean much feom it.. pretty much old news from the wire service....

One thing you will find.. news is different up here,,, they still broadcast a car accident as big news.. perhaps thats refreshing and reflective of the non events that occur here

For boat rentals Bridge Bay resorts is the largest... there is also Silverthorn, Holiday Harbor and a couple of others...( I like Silverthorn,, probably because its next door)
Lake Shasta has 375 miles or so of shoreline..( dont forget to visit Shasta Caverns,, on the lake) with about 14 boat launch ramps of various sizes... the lake can get busy in the summer or holidays with scores of kids coming here from many different colleges renting houseboats.. if you come during a period when it isnt too hot (early June) then exploring off the houseboat around the lake can be spectacular,,, there are hidden waterfalls that havent dried up yet and nature worth seeing.. we have mountain lions and bear.. I rarely see them,, just evidence they have been around...

I belong to MADD.. and Im writing a paper for California MADD on boating under the influence in Shasta Country, detailing our campaign to reduce it for the upcoming year... college aged kids certainly stress our resources on the lake,,, as do the idiots from "down below",,, the lake is patrolled by Shasta County Sheriff. but you will rarely see a deputy.. there is too much area to patrol .... they may have up to 4 deputies on the lake off season and 10 during peak times.. they usually spend most of their time addressing the college "party barges"

There are huge professional bass tournaments. an occasional wake boarding competition... there is even have a low profile christmas boat parade (Ive only seen some lame pictures of it)

There are other lakes that are closeby.. Whiskeytown ... 30 minutes by car(no houseboats) federal land,,, and Claire Engle 90 minutes by car... (Trinity county),,, less crowded.. farther from Redding.. has houseboats

House rentals here are fairly reasonable...
there are "better" neighborhoods so if you are looking on the net ask some of us locals for guidance... northeast redding has many new houses and nice neighborhoods.. downtown Redding has older homes.. sometimes very quaint... west Redding has some older neighborhoods.. but expensive...
south Redding... I would probably avoid.. some older neighborhoods that are struggling.. but its California.. so you can find a dump right next to a mansion...

My wife is a teacher here(science AP),, having taught in the Bay Area and L.A. she has a pretty good perspective on California education and schools.. Redding schools will not help your child be brillant.. but they can provide basic education.. private schools do exist here... as do charter schools (another nice way of saying,, we cant make it as a regular school because we cant meet state standards.. so we'll call ourselves a charter school... mediocrity I think).
The good ol boy syndrome also filters thru education here, as with other job prospects, and the most qualified candidates are not necessarily hired over someone who knows someone... be prepared for that.. if you arent a local its hard to break in.. and that means in all aspects of government jobs...

I have been considering a federal government job with the forest service at in Redding and Alturas. I am coming from a small town south of Atlanta GA where government jobs are abundant. Does anyone know anything about the forest service or any federal government jobs in these areas?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leraindrops View Post
I have been considering a federal government job with the forest service at in Redding and Alturas. I am coming from a small town south of Atlanta GA where government jobs are abundant. Does anyone know anything about the forest service or any federal government jobs in these areas?
My recollection of the Redding area from the mid-80s is that government jobs were highly coveted and very hard to get. Those who did get them usually started temporary or part-time and worked into permanent -- even full-time -- only after a long periods of persevering through layoffs and dry spells. You had to be ready to jump when (if) they called you back. Tough decision if you found another job in the mean time since jobs were not exactly plentiful. Unemployment was near 15% in Shasta County back then. There was a lot of competition for all other jobs, from hard-labor seasonal jobs in ranching, logging and mining to light industrial, clerical/office and service jobs. Gotta really love the area to make a go there, at least as I remember it. But then again, that was a few years back.

But since you're talking about Federal jobs, you might have a shot in via a transfer if you're already employed with the Federal govt. You'll probably push some poor local guy or gal out of that position. If you're not already employed with the branch of the Federal government you're seeking a job with, you could have a steep climb in Redding. In any case, good luck to you.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-14-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: grammar gets me every time :(

Old 11-18-2007, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 13,771 times
Talking moving to redding ca.

:d I Am A Real Estate Agent In Redding. I Would Have To Agree With Kawgpz550 About Redding Life.
The Traffic Is Great, Summers Are Just Right For Water Activities And Bbq's With Friends And Family, Trails For Riding/walking, Areas Close For Fishing, Winter Is Mild But Not Far To The Snow, For Those That Enjoy That Type Of Activity.
Things Are Slow Here Compared To The City Life, Just Depends On What You Enjoy. Relax Or Hassle
Home Prices Have Really Dropped So Its A Great Time To Buy...its A Little Harder On Buyers Then It Once Was Due To Lending Guidelines But There Are Still Some Good Programs Out There.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,457 times
Default Also considering Redding

A little about me:
I grew up in a small northern Utah town (20,000), an now in my 3rd year in dental school in the Inland Empire in SoCal (Loma Linda University) and am just doing some research to figure out where I want to settle down. Since a career in dentistry isn't the most mobile, I want to get it right the first time. I'm considering doing a residency in pediatric dentistry, which would limit my options to larger populations, but I still have a little while to figure that out. Mainly I'm interested in ending up somewhere between Portland and Sacramento.

So far based on what everyone has posted, it seems like Redding would be a good match for me and my family. It's important that we live in a family-friendly community with lots of outdoors weekend activities available. Naturally, safety is important. I think we can handle the weather - Utah summers get into the 100's, and San Bernardino Summers have reached 117 since I've lived here (yikes).

One of the questions I have is this - what about sports? I'm a sports nut. Other than the high school level, are there any minor league teams or college athletic teams in the area?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
Redding has a great family sports park called Field of Dreams.. I am not into sports but I believe they have or are courting a semi pro team for baseball..(others here will know better than me) Shasta College has a football team.. fun Friday night home games..

This is still small town America in many ways and school sports are very popular here

There is plenty to do outdoors.. from the lakes or rivers to national parks.. all close by

It can get very very hot in the summer.. most people hit the lakes.. Whiskeytown for families... Shasta for water skiing and jetski's.. (which I hate with a passion)

I patrol both of these lakes... each has its strong points

There are 1000's of acres of open space.. dry pine forests.. some nice big trees up higher...

When I first moved here I decided I would hike every mountain lake I could find... in ten years Ive done about 60... but man.. in the summer you have to go out early,, hide during the middle of the day and hike out at dusk.. otherwise its too hot

Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 44,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjafish View Post
A little about me:

One of the questions I have is this - what about sports? I'm a sports nut. Other than the high school level, are there any minor league teams or college athletic teams in the area?
Sacramento Kings; SF 49ers are your closest pro teams

Chico Heat is a good minor league baseball team. 1.5 hours SE.

Not much for great sports to watch. But Field of Dreams is good for indoor hockey, baseball and softball leagues. Basketball leagues are around too. The college ball is pretty lame around here. Not a big draw for any sports.

There has been some talk about TRYING to get a minor league baseball team in the area, but that talk has been going on for years, and may never pan out.

Great outdoors stuff here. hiking, walking, boating, skiing, fishing, camping, etc.

Josh

Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
For the person who thought he was doomed to fly United into Redding, check the Horizon/Alaska Air website. Their Eureka to LAX flights stop in Redding coming and going and are very reasonable. And I can;t believe no one's mentioned the world-class Discovery Park with the beautiful pedestrian bridge by Santiago Calaterra, the architect who's doing the Chicago Spire. The whole town is down there at sunset, walking their dogs and enjoying the river breezes. Guess you can tell I'm a Redding fan. Jobs are slowish in NorCal but if you're in the medical field you'll get a job in a matter of days. Best of luck.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
Love the bridge... but the money could have paid for 20 community parks

So far Turtle Bay has been a bust financially... did Redding need it.. sure... frosting on any cake is nice,,, but Govt must focus on the basics first

It hands down Redding for life unless you want to be a hermit in the outlying areas.. ie within 50 miles

With the real estate slowdown there are great bargains here... but expect the prices to accelerate again... all those people coming to California have to go somewhere.. and the retiring baby boomers coming here from L.A. and the Bay (like myself) are bringing money and higher expectations with them.. and that IS changing the area

Shasta Colleges new nursing school downtown is beautiful.. I still see commercial stuff being built at all get out.. and while residential has slowed there is still plenty going in and a BUNCH in the county's master plan.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:05 AM

9 posts, read 60,376 times
Smile Thanks for your replies

We are moving to join the Bethel Church in Redding.

We have visited twice already.

At this point, we are soon to relocate. I will be searching for jobs in about 2 weeks.

God willing all will go well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California