Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times

Advertisements

Yes, in general this type of legislation [that the governor signed immediately] is due to people getting sick. We can eat whatever we want in our own homes. All this silliness about regulation. Remember California also allows marijuana to be used, gays to marry, nudity in places. Is that a nanny state?

Keep in mind that it will be very soon when universal health care starts & Obama may accomplishes it even before Schwarzenegger [since the state is broke again. The point is that taking care of ourselves is important yet some people care less. Sorry but those folks are outnumbered here. So go ahead & move out of California where you will be happy [may I suggest Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 95,538 times
regarding the hands-free cell phone law, I believe it is still legal to text while driving.
hmmmmmmmm

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
I thought this was funny.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 AM

268 posts, read 817,323 times
A big part of California passing these anti-freedom laws is the cost to the state. As usual, nobody has health insurance, they have a stroke, heart attack, get shot, whatever. They go to the emergency room, no money to pay the bill, MediCal picks up the bill. The California tax payer foots the bill. The State is broke and has a budget deficit to the tune of 15 billion dollars this year.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I thought this was funny.
LOL...

The fried chicken and donut shops are going to be in BIG trouble! Some of the hard core trans fat eaters who refuse to cook for themselves will have to go over the border to get the hard stuff.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Because overreaching government spreads like cancer to other states.
and that is not CA's problem or fault. If other states decide to follow our lead, like many have in the past, that is their own doing and not our fault at all. If they think what we did is good enough to enact as law themselves how is that CA fault? We do what we want other states are more than free to do the same.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
You sound bitter and angry. Who are you voting for?

In all seriousness, why do you care? How does this affect you? If it's only one example could you lay out a few more? Big Brother? Hey, the people voted Big Brother in. If you have a more positive platform to run on I say---GO FOR IT!!! I'll give you my vote when I move into Ca. That is if you can lay out a more positive agenda than bitter and angry.
Bitter and angry? Now that is too funny. I an happier than I have been in some time and I am a happy person to start with. I own a mortgage free home, brand spanking new, have a couple hundred thousand in the bank, 2 new cars and a wonderful family with a new grandaughter. Yep I am bitter and angry.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This happens to be one of the dumbest reasons I have heard of for people leaving CA if they do.

Texas has one of the highest obesity rankings in the nation and they let your gorge yourself to death. Now if that is not great I don't know what is. All the greazy ribs and TexMex you can eat. Its kind of like being able to smoke where ever you please. Who cares how it effects your health or the health of others around you. You can do whatever you want. You can even drive your car on Beer Can Beach. Isn't that great? So go ahead and polute your body and the enviroment... who cares, the state sure doesn't.
It is all about personal freedom and personal responsibility. I am about people having the freedoms God gave us and using their brains. If they don't it is their problem. I moved to Texas and eat what I want. I am thinner than most people in CA or TX. I happen to care about my weight and have been blessed to not have to worry what I eat. I guess it also could be from spending 3-4 hours every Saturday mowing my yards. What I am trying to say is that people should always have choices and the government should not try to make up for stupidity by infringing on everybody's rights. I am sure you would be all for removing all trans fat from grocery stores too?

I don't smoke, I don't drink. I eat fairly well, however I don't want the government telling me I can't do all of the above if I want to. Pretty simple, our founding fathers knew that but apparently our government has forgotten that lesson.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Oh my God! If you really think minor things like this qualify California as a "Nanny State" then you are seriously misguided as to what a Nanny State is REALLY like. Move here to the UK for a year or so and you'll be begging to move back to Cali. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to moving back home to Cali from this backward, almost-third-world country that is called "Great Britain."
Most of Europe qualifies as Nanny Countries. That is why I don't like the way things are moving that direction. If you think it can't happen you are seriously misguided and ignorant.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
^^^
My question is how do you have the freedom to make that choice if the trans-fat isn't clearly labeled on the food you eat. When you go out ot eat, how do you know if you are eating healthy and the cook isn't using trans-fat???? You would never be able to go out to eat if you don't want transfat in your food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: