Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 34,644 times

Advertisements

i have a long time to think about this, i'm starting college in January but after the first 2 years, maybe even 4 years, i want to move to CA. but i know the housing out there so crazy expensive. if i owned a camper type home would that be a good alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,268,579 times
This question is better suited for the California forum.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 34,644 times
i'm new to this site and any sites like it, so i just posted it, but thanks!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM

44 posts, read 179,895 times
Default Is this the California Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmadworld_07 View Post
i have a long time to think about this, i'm starting college in January but after the first 2 years, maybe even 4 years, i want to move to CA. but i know the housing out there so crazy expensive. if i owned a camper type home would that be a good alternative?
I had the same idea last year. Then I had problems with the vehicle on the way out there. Think about what you'd do if the vehicle needs work or has to be junked. What would you do with any 'stuff' you have?

My thought is travel as light as possible. Minimal belongings and nothing valuable---nothing! You may have to get a shopping cart to carry your belongings in.

Also, I was told the police in California chase away and ticket repeat offenders of people living in cars against city ordinances. Check it out with others.

If you want to go camper do so. Just think about any scenarios that might pop up and how you would handle them. Would you stick with the vehicle and try and get it fixed or could you walk away and cut your loses as I did?

My own story involves having work tools, tech equipment and a dog in a vehicle that had to be dumped. I had a back up plan.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ECR

Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,703,380 times
any idea where you want to live in CA?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,413,901 times
Where would you plan on parking the motorhome? There aren't many RV park in the central areas of Los Angeles. Most RV parks are on the outskirts. There may be a mobile home park with a few long term spots for RV also. I'm not sure what LA's rules are, but many cities do not allow RV's to be parked on city streets for a sustained amount of time. You should look into where you are going to park it.

The nice RV parks are not cheap either. For example, Golden Shores RV Park is a very clean and nice place in Long Beach but the monthly rates are from $700-$1,300 per month. That is on top of the payment you are making for the RV and then sooner or later you could of just rented an apartment.
http://www.goldenshorerv.com/reservations.htm

Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,311,502 times
There are plenty of camp grounds where you could stay but if your talking about a motorhome or truck camper you would need a second vehicle to get around, I don't know how much these places charge for rent either, it could be fun.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM

162 posts, read 317,916 times
Best thing you can get is a gently used class c or a good travel trailer. If you don't buy a junker it will last a long time

Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,345,757 times
I knew a young man who went to college with my daughter in Santa Barbara who lived in his small truck/camper. He got a Gold's Gym membership for showering.

I think bathroom facilities would be the biggest hassle, but easier for a man, I think.

Also, weather would be a big consideration.

Living in Your Car: No Longer Just for Bums - Businessweek

12+ Tips on How to Make the Best of Living in Your Car - wikiHow

How to live in your car - YouTube

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,646,630 times
It's doable, but depending on what area you want to be in, it can be very difficult and not really a way to live cheap. As was mentioned, some places the space rent is as much as a small studio. And not all areas have high rent either. California is a big state and not all places will they hunt street campers down and bother you as long as you are not being a nuisance or sit in one place too long.
Also, consider that many RV parks that allow extended stays (1 month or more) will not allow RV/campers that are beyond a certain age. Some make exceptions if the rig is exceptionally well kept on the outside. State parks don't have this 'rule' but you can only stay in those parks for a maximum of two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California