Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM

43 posts, read 206,329 times

Advertisements

Hollywood beach could be an option. There is a very long boardwalk on the beach and a lot of restaurants. There are also a lot of French people there during the winter escaping Quebec's cold weather.

You could drive from Hollywood Beach, FL to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 AM

11 posts, read 43,879 times
Can you tell me if this area gets forest fires? I see that the Chico area is between two ranges and have read that fog settles in there. Any way to avoid the dreariness - are other towns outside Chico drier? What about property prices? What would one be looking at for acreage? I've read that Paradise/Chico has all been developed. Are there properties out there for a small farm?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:57 PM

36 posts, read 360,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootul View Post
My wife and I have decided to move our family (1 year old baby) from the south of France to (most likely) northern California....
Say what??? Are you joking??? You're breaking my heart! Even after I read all of your reasons. I can't wait to get back to France. Can't wait (she said, Chris Rock style). Only had 9 days there once. But hey, this is France we're talking about. And look, I'm from Northern California originally and it is wonderful there. But no comparison to what I did see in your current country already. So I'd say, work it out, find a way to stay. Internet searches about Nice are all I have until I can find a way to get there. Would love to have a home there, too. Anyway, you're already in heaven, IMHO. Sheesh!

Well, if you insist, San Fran and the bedroom communities are close to beaches, the bay and mountains and lakes. Lots of nature if you're not smack dab in the middle of the towns. I agree with the above poster, very expensive - but you can always look for deals, foreclosures and such because you never know what your realtor might find.

If you go to Marin County be sure to visit Stinson Beach and Bolinas Beach and the further west
Pt. Reyes National Seashore. There it's West Marin County and it's beautiful. Many beaches there, both elf-like and large. Warmest weather in the North Bay is June through early October. No snow (super-super rare), rains in the cooler months and foggy. But georgeous. Even on days like that.

Bay Area in general, lots of 'multi-culture' in the best way, every kind of food you can think of, lots of music and theater...San Franscisco is one of the best cities in the world. Three major airports in the reigon: SF, Oakland & San Jose.

In San Fran: Don't forget to visit all the fun neighborhoods like North Beach, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Japantown (adjacent to an increasingly distressed neighborhood but good for eating sushi and shopping)......and do not miss Golden Gate Park (the Japanese Tea Garden is sweet and they'll serve you tea and almond cookies). One more not to miss: The Exploratorium, a stone's throw from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Best Wishes,

P.S One more note about Marin: Very family friendly, some of the hippes are now (albeit aging) yuppies and live side by side with new agers, conservatives, liberals and general every day folks. Other towns and cities are easily accesible from there, but it's very insulated from the rest of the Bay Area, which many people there really appreciate. When you see how it is laid out, that will make a lot more sense. Some parts are very super ritzy-wealthy which benefits everyone; as I heard a man once say that better than owning a yacht is to have friend with a yacht, lol!. Much easier......Nonetheless, it's relatively diverse as all cultural and economic brackets are represented there, even if not as much as the rest of the bay. What's also nice is that nearly every location is aesthetically pleasing r/t plants, trees, water, nice buildings and homes.

Last edited by gottajam; 02-03-2007 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,368 times
I own 10 acres with a 3 bdrm, 3bth house on it, north Chico, very good price. Great views of surrounding mountains, sunrise and sunset views. email me if interested.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,505 times
Pootul...you can absolutely live in Santa Cruz/Capitola in 2 bedroom 1-2 bath for around 1500-2000 a month. I do! I can walk to the beach, breakfast at Gayles (google her bakery) and enjoy over 300 days of sunshine a year. There are parks for 1 year old to play, great sidewalks for stroller walking or jogging. It is heaven, no doubt. Also, your drive "over the hill" might be a bit at first, (45 minutes), but there are opportunities here in SC, depending on what you do. So, let's chat, I will help you find a place that works for you and your family. Also, I want to move to the SofFrance and need your help. I have lots of Qs to see if it's feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California