Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:50 PM

54 posts, read 43,769 times

Advertisements

Hello all, let me explain my question. See, I was born in Monterey county but my parents moved me to Missouri when I was only 1 and I was raised in both Missouri and Northwest Arkansas. Growing up I always dreamed of moving back because I saw the pictures of my mothers life in California growing up in the 60's and 70's and the place looked like a very decent middle class place to live. Definitely the sweet life.

However, most all of my family has moved away and they tell me that if i'm wise i'll go to Arizona or elsewhere instead. I currently live in New Mexico and I still have some desire to move back to California, but i'm also not a fan of super high taxes, the nanny state, or high crime. So....are they right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 06:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
In short - not necessarily. Everyone's situation is different and its a big, varied state with lots of different environs, towns and cities. The crime in much of the country (such as most of the state you live in) is as high or higher than most of California. There are a lot of regulations the state government has passed over the years, but it doesn't seem that onerous to me in my day to day life. Taxes (save for property) are higher than almost anywhere save for the NE. Before you move anywhere you need to visit several times and see what's best for you. You may love it and the cons might be worth it to you. You may find that Los Angeles isn't your cup of tea, but Lake Tahoe or Redding is. Again, you just have to check it out and do your homework.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:02 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
A New Mexican bringing up California crime.
That's rich.
As beau said, do your homework and go visit. Only you know if it'll be worth it to you

Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Like most things in life, it is a personal choice. No one can answer that question for you.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:19 PM

86 posts, read 92,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
A New Mexican bringing up California crime.
That's rich.
As beau said, do your homework and go visit. Only you know if it'll be worth it to you
I lived in Southern NM for years and the crime didn't seem as bad as in most of the large cities in CA. That said I heard Alb has gotten nasty.

Anyway, CA is definitely worth it if you're rich. You can buy a nice place in Santa Barbara, central coast, north SD county, etc. If you aren't rich or aren't going to inherit a house then I don't think it's worth it. Who knows though- Corona might crush housing prices so if you still have a good job then maybe you'll get into something.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:37 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
I lived in Southern NM for years and the crime didn't seem as bad as in most of the large cities in CA. That said I heard Alb has gotten nasty.
Scenically, NM is beautiful, but it's missing the coast and oceanic influence that moderates California and gives us a gorgeous Mediterranean climate.

Alamagordo has a higher crime rate than the average American city, and Alamagordo is the city in NM with the least amount of crime.

Albuquerque's crime rate is horrific. I blame that primarily on the relative isolation of the city and NM itself, and the stagnant economy that seems to eternally curse NM.

Santa Fe has a lot more crime than it previously did. I think a lot of it is spillover from Albuquerque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
Anyway, CA is definitely worth it if you're rich. You can buy a nice place in Santa Barbara, central coast, north SD county, etc. If you aren't rich or going to inherit a house then I don't think it's worth it. Who knows though- Corona might crush housing prices so if you still have a good job then maybe you'll get into something.
You don't have to be a baller on the coast or live in an inherited seaside mansion to enjoy California... Plenty of us are neither and we still love the state.

I can't believe someone told the OP to settle on living in Arizona. Pathetic!

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-07-2020 at 05:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmoses View Post
I currently live in New Mexico and I still have some desire to move back to California,
The question to ask yourself is "What do I think I will be getting in CA that I am not getting in NM, and will that difference be worth moving for?"

And as has been pointed out many times before, people tend to refer to CA as though it is the same all over. But it's an extremely variable place in terrain, weather, coast access, politics, urbanization, COL, crime, affordability, and just about any other metric you can name. You have to narrow down your desired location much more than just "CA."

Old 04-07-2020, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hello all, let me explain my question. See, I was born in Monterey county but my parents moved me to Missouri when I was only 1 and I was raised in both Missouri and Northwest Arkansas. Growing up I always dreamed of moving back because I saw the pictures of my mothers life in California growing up in the 60's and 70's and the place looked like a very decent middle class place to live. Definitely the sweet life.

However, most all of my family has moved away and they tell me that if i'm wise i'll go to Arizona or elsewhere instead. I currently live in New Mexico and I still have some desire to move back to California, but i'm also not a fan of super high taxes, the nanny state, or high crime. So....are they right?
In my opinion CA still has some very positive elements, but would I do it? Absolutely NO. The cost of living is the number 1 problem and depending on your political leanings there might be adjustments to make. Of course you are living in NM now, so liberalism may not concern you. You do get a pretty balance of views in NM even if they do lean left somewhat. We did not find the politics an issue when we live there from 2001 to 2008.

No, I do not think that sweet life still exists in CA. Not to mention what it looked like from pictures and even stories and what it was are 2 different things. Our kids all grew up in So. CA. 2 of the 3 would never move back: 1 will always miss it.

The only way you can decide is by doing a lot of research, do a lot of visits, keep an open mind, not just seeing the state through rose colored glasses and consider the COL as well as your ability to make a decent living, etc. There is more to your choice of places to live than simple beauty.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:

Do your relatives let politicians tell them where they can and can't live?

Super High Taxes: If you are pulling a million a year, your taxes will be MUCH higher in CA than in a Midwestern flat-tax state. If you make less than 100K per year, they will be lower. Car registration fees, smogging, and all that, probably make up the difference.

Nanny State: I've lived in the Midwest, East Coast, Asia, and Europe. The state of California is, under normal circumstances, no more intrusive into your everyday life than any other place in the USA, less so than some Asian and European countries in which I've lived. Even during the COVID-19 lockdown, everything remains optional. Though I haven't lived in other states during it, the news I hear is that our restrictions are no more onerous than those of most other states. Local ordinances requring permitting of certain types of construction are probably the biggest intrusion into your life, but that varies by city.

High Crime: This varies by locality as well. Vagrancy is certainly higher than in most states.

The real reason to avoid California is the sky-high property taxes and the hustle you have to run in order to afford to live here. If you want a relaxing life and don't care about the scenery, the ocean, clubbing, working hard, or the weather, then don't come back. If you like to work hard and play hard, (or if you're rich) CA might be the place for you.

I never knew the CA of the '60's and '70's, but some of the old-timers with burnout kids in rehab grouse about how great those times were, so I'm guessing that California has come and gone.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:57 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
My house has been paid for a long time and I still hate the goverment in California. Think how much better Calif. could be with at least 2 parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California