Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 88,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
After you stated people in hiding are "brave", everyone here has you confined back at square one.
Gee, I guess I should have said "noble" instead.

This line of attack is on the level of a middle schooler pointing out a misplaced comma. You can be a better person than that.

Quote:
From several places in the parks several of us can see the trees you claim are hidden,
Yes, we already know the insiders know where to look. If it was that easy to identify the largest trees then your attempt to obfuscate their locations would be moot and there would be obvious well worn foot paths to each of them.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,008,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
Gee, I guess I should have said "noble" instead.

Whether you guess matters little when you don't really have a voice. Here, you have no education, no experience, no common sense. Its all the worse when someone tries to support others who trigger damage to the forest. An anonymous person is a nobody to begin with. Agreeing with damage just makes a nobody into even less.

That's why I prefer not to hide my name from my point of view, and gladly support what I think. Even when I sent letters to the editor of the local newspaper years ago, I would sign my real name.

If people can't trace somebody's education and experience, the can't tell if there's any potential foundation for an opinion or advice.

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-19-2016 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
An an anonymous person is a nobody to begin with. Agreeing with damage just makes a nobody into even less.
Well, my egotistical friend, us anonymous nobodies have won this war and you have lost. The treasures of the forest now belong to everyone and you'll never get the genie back in the bottle. I hope you can find a new public facing hobby to rebuild your self-identity on as you seem like the kind of person who requires that validation.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-deal-.gif  

Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Well, my egotistical friend, us anonymous nobodies have won this war and you have lost. The treasures of the forest now belong to everyone and you'll never get the genie back in the bottle. I hope you can find a new public facing hobby to rebuild your self-identity on as you seem like the kind of person who requires that validation.

Several of us started holding back new discoveries year before last. That update has been available for quite a while now. At our end, the new trees seem to get more impressive every year. So the genie bottle talk isn't even applicable. Just within the last weeks, our discovery list grew again. At this end, we don't have the same kind of limits.

Chime in some day when you have an accomplishment to share. You don't have to tell where its at. But it would be interesting to see if you can show something for a change.

This should convey what one of the new discoveries looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-19-2016 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 PM

87 posts, read 163,673 times
Default Consequences

Quote:

truthsayer, your video short is humorous but that deal with it can work two ways. For sure 90% of the interest for redwoods on FR/Fred centers around the tallest. The path to the tallest involves dealing with a couple log piles, one of which is quite tall and involves several large logs. As more people navigate that pile it could well become unstable and dangerous. For this reason it would not surprise me at all if the creek for the tallest is closed for hiking.

Mark

Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 PM

225 posts, read 467,479 times
totallyawesome loser has been exposed as little more than a troublemaker who lacks common sense. Every single one of his "arguments" was soundly refuted by Mr. Vaden and sent to the rubbish bin. totallyawesome loser would clearly like to turn Hyperion into the next Grove of Titans which is now an area of completely dead brush and trampled roots courtesy of David Mickelson. Mr. Graham's point is well made and has sound reasoning: the route to Hyperion could easily result in a fatality due to the dangerous large log piles. Perhaps NPS should close that creek off to foot travel. Mr. Vaden perhaps you could consult with NPS about this matter? Lost Man Creek is a treacherous area.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post

The other thing to consider is what is the purpose of FR. Is someone mad at someone? Is there some kind of rivalry going on?
Mark Graham

$10,0000.00

Hi Mark. I posted a message today on the new page to see who is interested in contributing $10,000 to ascertained a name behind FRs. Even if the damage can't be reversed, I think its worth the investment to expose who is involved because that clarifies who is not involved. Even if the world had another to fill their shoes. I think for this situation at this particular time there can be residual benefits. Like you wrote, it would also be good to ascertain the purpose.

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-20-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 06:22 PM

225 posts, read 467,479 times
Mr. Vaden, where do we find information about contributing toward the $10,000? Also, this sum of money should be easy to gather if you have a whole bunch of peeps from the community all contributing. If we put forth the funds, which I am in favour of fully, how do we be sure it gets the job done and exposes the FR owner?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:

$10,0000.00
Yeah, you should probably strongly reconsider this pants-on-head invitation to vigilantism, because what begins with putting a bounty on someone can easily end with some spiteful person with nothing to lose going hog wild on Laurelin with a hammer drill and blasting powder in a desperate attempt to strike back at you in the way that hurts you the most.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
Mr. Vaden, where do we find information about contributing toward the $10,000? Also, this sum of money should be easy to gather if you have a whole bunch of peeps from the community all contributing. If we put forth the funds, which I am in favour of fully, how do we be sure it gets the job done and exposes the FR owner?
Those are details I am looking at several options for. Should it be a single donor? Or several? A trust? Gifts to an account, with a promise that it either goes to a reward. And if not ... forwarded to Save the Redwoods League. The first step is seeing whether anyone wants to commit. For all I know, someone may say they want to double the request. I would gladly let someone else take the reigns and manage this too. Another more adept to coordinate it.

Wish I worked was a head ranger, plus lived in the area. But it became evident the public can know the time period the person was in certain areas from a few images. I learned from a ranger that data on individuals is retained indefinite. With access to the cameras that were in the redwood parks, plus dated security video, I think that alone could establish the ID of the person (s) in question. But a reward situation could draw in the information from an unexpected avenue.

So we can bounce this idea around outside the forum. Regarding the reply comment prior to yours, is the other now back-peddling from their "brave" or "noble" stamp of approval?

No worries here. I'm sure whoever it is ... is afraid. I think the reward option implemented for burl poachers didn't put the parks on the defense. Also, I think the hidden cameras will be a deterrent. Even more so now. I think it may not have even crossed their mind in the preparatory stages.

NPS BURL POACH REWARD LINK > http://www.nps.gov/redw/learn/news/f...f-poachers.htm

Rewards are a proven system to break down doors of silence sometimes.

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-20-2016 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California