Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 06:26 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
There's an anniversary approaching, y'all. Tomorrow is going to be this thread's tenth birthday!
Yes ... one more year of others not knowing, or assuming the location of the world's largest, widest and tallest coast redwoods - basically "Same-Placeville, USA". At my end, the main change over ten years, is the opportunity to discover new trees of several species from scratch, and enjoy 10 years of networking with explorers and finding new groves. For us, the hope to find greater, overshadowed the want of just finding what was already.

I can just imagine your "superheroes'" convoy now, with a dinosaur on the door ... "Hey man, uh, do you think Capt. Jack Sparrow is the other direction?" ... "uh, I dunno .. pass me that pipe, man"

Last edited by mdvaden; 08-02-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 AM

225 posts, read 469,582 times
According to a reliable source, the current publicly known five tallest trees in the world are:

1- Hyperion
2- Helios
3- Stratosphere Giant
4- National Geographic Tree aka Nugget
5- Icarus

That does not take into account any newly discovered tallest trees which are no longer being released due to the web site leaks. While those in the know moved on several years ago, the rest are all permanently stuck in the past due to FR.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:23 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
Well plenty of others contributed to the thread before July 2015, including myself.
It's been a long thread, where basically the beginning and the end are sort of disconnected due to a change of events. Sticking to the latter 25% of the thread, it's worth realizing that one of a million others would have done the same as FRs at some point in time. For everybody and all redwoods combined as one big picture, it's not really a game where there's any winning outcome or solution. Visitors to park will not see more total scenery, but some spots of scenery have deteriorated some.

If the microscope is purely shifted onto FR's aim and hope, then it's a failure. They obviously had a goal to find and share superlatives with every rank and file. As they started their game, the rules got changed as a broad collection of new superlatives supplanted older finds. So when it's all boiled down into a nutshell, they lost at their own game. It was like investing all one's money in stock of something like Solyndra.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM

FR is going to be somewhere laughing their butts off when they read this post. But just to get the info out there, (a prominent conservation organization) has falsely accused Mark Graham and Steve H of being involved with FR. (A prominent conservation organization) accused Mark and Steve of planting a red herring when they shared their account of possibly running into FR people back in June of 2017. Anyway, I'm posting this here in the hopes that someone who knows who is really behind FR will see that this has gone way too far and will step forward and reveal what they know. Any hints, suspicions, or information would be greatly appreciated. Please reach out to Mark or Steve through their respective sites and help them clear their names.

Last edited by OldManWinter; 10-10-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Yes ... one more year of others not knowing, or assuming the location of the world's largest, widest and tallest coast redwoods - basically "Same-Placeville, USA". At my end, the main change over ten years, is the opportunity to discover new trees of several species from scratch, and enjoy 10 years of networking with explorers and finding new groves. For us, the hope to find greater, overshadowed the want of just finding what was already.

I can just imagine your "superheroes'" convoy now, with a dinosaur on the door ... "Hey man, uh, do you think Capt. Jack Sparrow is the other direction?" ... "uh, I dunno .. pass me that pipe, man"
I love this thread! It can be very entertaining and informative, at times. I'm wondering if you could tell us how the drought, and the overall warming trends of the climate is affecting the trees. What we're seeing in Western WA, is that the summers are so dry now, that the soil holding the trees becomes so desiccated, that in a strong windstorm, trees blow over. Seemingly healthy majestic cedars, and other trees. This is alarming!

Concerning redwoods, I spoke to a ranger a couple of years ago, who said the trees get stressed during drought cycles, but he seemed optimistic. He said the redwoods have survived this long, through thick and thin, so to say, so they'll manage. But I'm not feeling optimistic. Aside from the fire danger, I'm wondering how long they can last, in increasingly dry conditions. They require a LOT of water to maintain that height and bulk! And I'm not even sure that migrating north over time, if such would even be possible in the rapidly-changing conditions, would help them, as summers are equally dry, if not more so, in the Pac NW. We're told fall/winters will be rainier, but trees need water May through Sept., too...

Can you offer a prognosis, mdvaden?

Old 10-12-2018, 10:52 AM

87 posts, read 164,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
FR is going to be somewhere laughing their butts off when they read this post. But just to get the info out there, (a prominent conservation organization) has falsely accused Mark Graham and Steve H of being involved with FR. (A prominent conservation organization) accused Mark and Steve of planting a red herring when they shared their account of possibly running into FR people back in June of 2017. Anyway, I'm posting this here in the hopes that someone who knows who is really behind FR will see that this has gone way too far and will step forward and reveal what they know. Any hints, suspicions, or information would be greatly appreciated. Please reach out to Mark or Steve through their respective sites and help them clear their names.
Hey OldMan I know that conservation organization has moved past Steve H and myself as possible FR people, I have been assured of that.

Based on content on FR, I would speculate the FR people do not like intentional disinformation regarding tree locations and also feel a need to correct unintentional errors on other web sites. But it is much more than that, as it is not just "where is Hyperion". All kinds of information on road and trail side trees and the drive thru trees. Therefore I think it has a purpose to increase tourism as well.

But no way of knowing for sure, as FR has chosen to remain anonymous and they offer no "editorial" content.

That is their right. But to me their whole purpose and message is more effective if they come forward.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM

It shows how far off track (a prominent conservation organization) is that they would waste time and effort investigating Mark and Steve as prime suspects for being behind FR. I continue to laugh my butt off that FR can't find Helios. At the same time, FR is now laughing their butts off at (a prominent conservation organization) for being so lost that they actually suspect people like Mark and Steve.

FR has to be someone who lives fairly close to the redwoods, someone who cares a lot about facts and statistics, and someone fairly well connected to the powers-that-be. I wouldn't be surprised if FR was a disgruntled research assistant or someone connected to HSU. Although it seems that FR hasn't been updated much in the past year, according to what I've heard. That being the case, perhaps the site owner moved away from the area last summer or something like that? Perhaps graduated from HSU Class of 2017? Just a wild guess.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 23,767 times
Dear Famous Redwoods, (Since I think you guys read this thread)

How can you have famous redwoods without the Father of the Forest and Mother of the Forest in Big Basin State Park? We are talking about the two most iconic trees close to the Silicon Valley here in the states oldest park. The Father of the Forest literally kicked off the redwood conservation movement! I would guess that Big Basin gets more visitors than the northern parks as well. What about The Giant in Henry Cowell Redwoods? Other trees you're missing are the Gifford Pinchot redwood in Muir Woods and the Colonel Armstrong Tree in Armstrong Redwoods State Park. If you have El Palo Alto...these trees deserve to make the website as well. Just my two cents and please don't take my advice as condoning your exposure of non public trees and therefore putting them in harms way. By putting the above trees I mentioned on your page you are being responsible as many people in the Bay Area will visit them and maybe reduce traffic to trees in sensitive spots like the Grove of the Titans. They deserve to make the page!

Thanks!

John Harvey

Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM

I guess I spoke too soon about the lack of updates, as it has been brought to my attention there have been some recent updates. However, just to let everyone know, there is some brand new wrong information. That site is so hit-and-miss. So unreliable when it comes to published information and tree locations.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Springville: Gateway to the Giant Sequoias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California