Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM

20 posts, read 169,909 times

Advertisements

Which one would you pick and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 09:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
Which one would you pick and why?
Depends if I needed to have a job. La Jolla is just a few miles away from lots of great tech companies. Santa Barbara... you'd better be rich

Old 01-26-2007, 09:26 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
If I could afford it I'd pick Santa Barbara. But it's not even close to my price range. But it's beautiful there, nice mountains, beach with things to do, great shopping and restaurants. It's so nice there... but you do have to have some money if you want to live there.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
MULDER - I used to live in Santa Barbara and my sister still does. I had the chance to spend some time down in La Jolla. I personally think La Jolla is much prettier than Santa Barbara. And the plus side of La Jolla is you are sooo close to San Diego so your work options are huge. In Santa Barbara the work options are not huge to get "huge" you need to drive all the way to LA. Life in Santa Barbara is nice if you can afford it, the "if" is a big one. There is always Goleta (nice), Isla Vista (young and near UCSB), Montecito (very expensive and pretty), and then Carpinteria (smaller, agricultural, and most people drive to Santa Barbara or Ventura to work.) I have lived in Goleta, Isla Vista, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Ojai, and now Oxnard, so I have tasted it all.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:30 PM

144 posts, read 935,445 times
Montecito is my favorite. Very pretty, amazing views. Santa Barbara is very nice as well. In La Jolla Vs. Santa Barbara, I would choose Montecito/Santa Barbara. La Jolla is too crowded, but it's like choosing between a Bentley and a Rolls Royce.

However, I would choose Rancho Santa Fe over anything in the United States. Anyone who has been there knows why.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
I agree with Benzboy. Rancho Santa Fe is probably the best place to live in the world. But between La Jolla and Santa Barbara... I would probably choose La Jolla. Honestly, I've never really understood why so many people drool over SB. During past vacations there, I couldn't wait to get the heck out. Sure it has excellent weather, looks great, and has nice shopping, but nothing seemed too luring about it. Never quite understood why people pay $500 grand more for a house there than in Carlsbad, Santa Cruz, or San Clemente.

San Clemente-There's a city that is so underrated. It has the Santa Barbara feel. It is safer and cleaner than Santa Barbara. It's directly between LA and SD. There's open space. There's hills. There's just no Montecito by San Clemente.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM

23 posts, read 97,025 times
I disagree with "newportbeachsmostwanted Senior Member" however I am biased, lol.

In my humble opinion:

1. Santa Cruz is a poor excuse for a pseudo-hippy college town. The downtown area is smelly and filthy. Berkeley wannabe.

2. It does not have that hometown welcoming feel to it. Definately not a place to raise a family.

3.Very angry and unpleasant local politics to boot.

4. On the plus side, it has some of the best surf in the state.

5. Although not as pricey as Santa Barbara, it is still very expensive.

6. Santa Cruz is a great place if you are a student or own a surf shop.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 PM

"1. Santa Cruz is a poor excuse for a pseudo-hippy college town. The downtown area is smelly and filthy. Berkeley wannabe."

It's homeless infested, and certainly a family-dissenters paradise.
------------

"2. It does not have that hometown welcoming feel to it. Definately not a place to raise a family."

Well, unless your metality is to want your kids to be crack dealers and stoners by age 19.
------------

"3.Very angry and unpleasant local politics to boot."

Agree at what? The economy? (hmm wait-there's real jobs in Santa cruz?)
------------

"4. On the plus side, it has some of the best surf in the state."
No comment.
-----------

"5. Although not as pricey as Santa Barbara, it is still very expensive."

They get their rent money from drugs, duh.
-----------

"6. Santa Cruz is a great place if you are a student or own a surf shop."

Correction: Santa Cruz is a great place if you are a student or want to be a bum outside of a surf shop.
----------

Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
From my point of view, Santa Cruz is in one of the most scenic, beautiful coastal areas on the California coast - the southernmost refuge of redwoods, awesome mountains-meet-sea views, whales, amusement park, Natural Bridges state park, the surfing etc. Too bad it's infested by rich people driving up the real estate prices so high that half the population can't afford to live indoors.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Too bad it's infested by rich people driving up the real estate prices so high that half the population can't afford to live indoors.
An overall demand(by all classes) drives up prices, not just rich people.

(Just a thought: In Japan-they believe that respecting people higher up on the financial ladder(bosses, owners, etc..) leads to a better/happier life.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California