Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,932,595 times

Advertisements

My friend works as a mgr at stater bros in so.ca.He told me that even though gas is going down in price that stater bros wont lower their prices anytime soon.He said people are paying for the products even though they are higher.I rarely shop at staters anymore.I wont even go to Vons,Ralphs & Albertsons (thieves).

The best bang for your buck is Walmart (superwalmart) & the .99 cent store.Be careful though cause many food/health items have been reduced in size but the price is still the same.Many arent worth the price for the size of the product though.Shop wisely & price/product size compare.I do & it saves me money.Stater Bros is NOT the low price leader as they claim to be...ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:48 PM

136 posts, read 547,140 times
I've never thought Stater Bros had good prices. I prefer to shop Trader Joe's, Super Walmart and Winco.
I only go to Albertsons in an emergency.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 93,631 times
Trader Joes has the best natural foods and great prices. We are relocating only where there is a Trader Joes. Eating great food that actually tastes great. You can't get that at the big box grocery stores. Also, look for Farmers Markets, or Veg/fruit stands at the side of the road. They always have fresher, nutrient rich, better fruits/veggies then any big box store and your supporting the local farmers, not corporations with chemical filled foods.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,320,496 times
I used to work for Staters in OC and they did indeed have better prices than other union grocery stores like Albertsons, Ralphs, or Vons. The "low price leader" claim goes back to the days when the only competition was from other supermarkets under the same exact labor contract as Staters. Staters has always run a very tight ship and kept expenses to a minimum. Heck, my store only had one manually operated pallet jack at a time when other markets had forklifts in every store. Staters also ran a much leaner payroll than other stores. No standing around for us!

Places like Trader Joes are cheaper but don't have the selection of a full sized supermarket. There's no Super Walmarts in OC so even though they're cheaper than any union supermarket, they're not an option here. They have much lower labor costs so they can easily undercut Staters.

Store managers have nothing to do with pricing so I doubt he really knows what top management is going to do with pricing. Staters will always be the cheapest of the union supermarkets but can't compete with Walmart when Walmart is so huge and pays so little for labor.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:50 PM

102 posts, read 585,864 times
IMO, Winco is the best discount grocery around. The stores are clean, they usually open lots of check stands, they have a large selection and the employees are often polite and don''t seem to hate their job (maybe better work environment?).

Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,211,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Places like Trader Joes are cheaper but don't have the selection of a full sized supermarket.
Very true, that's why for me at least it's combined with other stores. I do most of my shopping at Costco, combined with Trader Joe's, and sometimes a couple of other health food type stores out here. I rarely go to the regular grocery store anymore, although every now and then there's something I need there that the other stores I go to don't have, but I can't remember the last time I did all of my grocery shopping at a place like Stater Brothers.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,396,999 times
Stater Bros. is cool...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM

195 posts, read 513,686 times
I used to be a diehard Stater shopper. After spending three years out of state and retrurning to Socal. I never relized how high they were. I know that compared to Vons, Albertson's, or Ralph's they were always lower. When we lived in the midwest we had a market called Aldi. This place was almost all private label, and the prices were really. After coming back I started to shop at Food 4 Less. Not my first choice, but the prices were better. We now have a Winco near by and will shop nowhere else. I'm afraid to even by one or two items anywhere else because I feel I'm being ripped off.

Last edited by Tim-mac; 08-10-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 AM

I have never been to Winco.Their is not one in my area.I have heard though its better then crater bros.Im surprised their isnt a superwalmart in OC.I like the one in Banning/Beaumont area.It cost me a lil over 1 gal of gas though round trip (22 miles).Damn gas guzzling car.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 AM

The nearest winco near me is Moreno Valley.WinCo Foods
http://www.wincofoods.com/whois.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California