Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left, leaving or plan on leaving California, why?
Personal freedom under attack by state lawmakers 6 3.64%
The state is becoming too "liberal" 21 12.73%
Over crowding/immigration 35 21.21%
To live the "American Dream", home ownership/higher standard of living 22 13.33%
Life here is just too expensive! 45 27.27%
To retire with a higher standard of living 11 6.67%
No real reason/took a job/just needed a change of pace 10 6.06%
Another reason 15 9.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayava View Post
I didn't realise politics meant so much to Americans that they actually moved out-of-State because of it. The way things are going in this thread, you'd think there's a Liberal conspiracy to drive Conservatives out
From reading numerous other City Data forum posts, it seems a lot of that comes from business owners. I'd bet for the vast majority of us (non business owners) who moved out it was economics (housing) more than anything else. I mean, the difference between the political culture in California and Colorado and now Alabama is in the noise when compared with the differences in the cost of housing, traffic, and other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 111,652 times
I agree with you AK_Photographer, "ALL OF THE ABOVE."
We still live in CA, however, are looking at another state to move to in a couple years. Can't wait to get out of here! 40 years is long enough!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
I voted "no real reason, wanted a change of pace" which pretty much sums it up. Other things mentioned got on my nerves, but I just really wanted a change. Moved from SD to Mo, then to Ga and now we are in Va as of 2 weeks ago!
Have had a blast getting to see such historical sites and new things in all the places we've moved to.
(all our moves have been job relos for my husband, but the first move was initiated by us.)

Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I lived in Sonoma county for eight years and loved it, but unfortunately, my spouse's company began to down-size and his future with them looked dim, so he took a job on the east coast in 2005. I cried for months, but the nice housing windfall helped to ease my pain!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-29-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 AM

268 posts, read 817,418 times
I know exactly how much I will get in retirement and it will not work here. So add that to all the other things about this state that I do not like and it's obvious what to do. I addition, I sit back and remember what it was like when I was a kid in my area. I use to go hunting and camping, riding dirt bikes, 4 wheeling, running our dogs or just generally poking around the country side. IT'S ALL GONE. Replaced with manicured mansions, paved roads and golf courses with big NO TRESPASSING SIGNS. But I was lucky and found a place out of state that is exactly like what it was like when I was a kid in the eighties.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
^

Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM

251 posts, read 767,742 times
i left because all of my immediate family moved out of state... so i followed.

once i moved here, my parents want to move back -- for job purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I know this question has been widely documented on this forum. I'm looking for short, specific answers here. The straw that broke the camel's back.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
From reading numerous other City Data forum posts, it seems a lot of that comes from business owners. I'd bet for the vast majority of us (non business owners) who moved out it was economics (housing) more than anything else. I mean, the difference between the political culture in California and Colorado and now Alabama is in the noise when compared with the differences in the cost of housing, traffic, and other things.
Even when business owners talk about leaving because of politics, they're talking about economics. I doubt many businesses would leave California if it had a far left liberal government that worked to reduce taxes and regulations and didn't treat businesses owners like criminals and ATMs.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Even when business owners talk about leaving because of politics, they're talking about economics. I doubt many businesses would leave California if it had a far left liberal government that worked to reduce taxes and regulations and didn't treat businesses owners like criminals and ATMs.
Maybe you're right but it is a very academic argument. By definition, a Leftist government will always have high taxes and many regulations. It is just part of the Leftist view of the purposes (and potential) of government.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Leaving for texas once I graduate.

Mainly for more job opportunities and lower real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California