Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM

26 posts, read 87,894 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say, that I have lived in Bakersfield for about 2 years now, and I LOVE it! I have fallen in love with this place. The schools are great, the people are friendly, there are beautiful homes here that could give Beverly Hills a run for its money, and there is no traffic ...well, not as much as in LA. This city grew on me, and now I can't leave. This morning I was taking my dog for a walk, and everybody I passed on the street said "Hello...good morning". That is so cool! I am going to make bumperstickers that say I "heart" Bakersfield. I love it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
I think that is called finding a hometown instead of just a place to live. Congrats.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks, we are really happy here! I didn't think we would be, but we are!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Are you sure you don't work for the Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce?! JK! Wow that's some endorsement - I've never heard anyone speak in such glowing terms about Bakersfield. It doesn't have a great reputation, as it is thought to be too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter (high dessert) and just somewhat downmarket, I guess. I suppose it's because it's mainly an agricultural area, but it is an "oil" area, too. Now that industry has had a rebirth because of high oil prices and renewed calls for drilling and exploration, I'm sure Bakersfield is reaping the benefits. But I'm glad you're happy there - long may it continue!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Hehe no I don't work for the City of Bakersfield, hehe. I am just happy here, and I didn't think I would be. My hubby grew up in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles, and when his family came up for July 4th (fireworks are legal here...we had a real July 4th party) we drove around and looked at all of the houses near Reagan Elementary School (where our daughter goes) and the houses were awesome. My mother-in-law even said so, that the neighborhoods were beautiful, and she is a West LA snob, believe me. When we moved here from Santa Monica I was crying the whole time, now I love it. I think it gets a very unfair bad rap.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM

31 posts, read 149,372 times
Lindyscribe, I have so many questions!!!! I have been on-line for three days looking up info on Bakersfield. I am 29, two small children, married, and my husband has a great opportunity to relocate. More money, company truck, and since we are all squeezed into a one bedroom (we live in Long Beach, rent is ridiculous) the affordable housing in Bakersfield is a plus. But I am a little scared because of the heat (how did you survive summers?) and the "good ol boy" mentality. I am mixed w/many races and my husband is mexican. He doesn't speak spanish and both of us are well educated and speak well and sometimes we don't feel like we fit in anywhere. White people see me as ethnic, and ethnic people think I act white. My husband has never been to Mexico in his life and....well, my point is, have you encountered any racism? Do you think it is too country there? I see pictures of people of all races but then I read forums on Bakersfield being too "narrow minded" and country. But I have two little ones and am not sure that Los Angeles county is the right place to raise my little ones. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska and would love for my children to grow up in a friendly safe community too. (But Alaska was way toooo cold.)
What are your thoughts?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Well it's good to see someone else who likes Bakersfield, I've lived here a long time now and it has been very good to me. Woo Hoo

Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
A positive Bakersfield thread... this is very disorienting.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
A positive Bakersfield thread... this is very disorienting.
What's even more disorienting is you chose to participate in the thread.

Tim C.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelinzoe View Post
Lindyscribe, I have so many questions!!!! I have been on-line for three days looking up info on Bakersfield. I am 29, two small children, married, and my husband has a great opportunity to relocate. More money, company truck, and since we are all squeezed into a one bedroom (we live in Long Beach, rent is ridiculous) the affordable housing in Bakersfield is a plus. But I am a little scared because of the heat (how did you survive summers?) and the "good ol boy" mentality. I am mixed w/many races and my husband is mexican. He doesn't speak spanish and both of us are well educated and speak well and sometimes we don't feel like we fit in anywhere. White people see me as ethnic, and ethnic people think I act white. My husband has never been to Mexico in his life and....well, my point is, have you encountered any racism? Do you think it is too country there? I see pictures of people of all races but then I read forums on Bakersfield being too "narrow minded" and country. But I have two little ones and am not sure that Los Angeles county is the right place to raise my little ones. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska and would love for my children to grow up in a friendly safe community too. (But Alaska was way toooo cold.)
What are your thoughts?
I moved to Kern County in 2001 after living in Monterey for 21 years, first by living in Delano for 3 years before moving to Bakersfield in 2005 so I feel I'm qualified to answer some of your questions.

As a male with Asian ethnicity in his background and having been born and raised in California, I've not experienced any racism here in Bakersfield. That's not to say that racism doesn't exist in Bakersfield -- it will always exists wherever you go. If you see comments about Bakersfield being narrow minded and too country, take it with a grain of salt unless you are proved otherwise by visiting the city yourself. Other races beside white that predominate Bakersfield are Mexicans, African-Americans, Indians, and Asians so we all get along. People are normally receptive, but don't go looking for something to stir racism (and that goes for the other 49 States).

However, coming from Long Beach area, be prepared to see major differences. It's not a big urban city like Los Angeles or San Francisco (I think people who have expectations of Bakersfield being like LA or SF before visiting Bakersfield get disappointed). There are *some* country depending on where you go. Some folks like the country lifestyle (like me who wear jeans flannel shirts) and there are those that dress like Californians with flip-flops (that's not me, btw).

Summer heats are hot, but tolerable if you stay mostly stay indoors. The only downside is walking to your car and sitting your bum on hot leather seat.

I hope you come down to visit Bakersfield sometime.

Tim C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California