Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

This is the second time since the New Year that California has broken the record for the high price ever paid for a home in the US. First a Russian tech magnate snapped up a Silicon Valley mansion for $100 Million, and that was a record. Now a British heiress pays 150 LARGE for one of the most famous homes in Southern California.

I know that many would have us believe that California is in the crapper, but I dont think the elite from abroad got the memo.

LOL.

U.K. Heiress Buys America's Most Expensive Mansion - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
The super-rich have always been insulated from the day to day problems that the rest of us have to deal with.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The super-rich have always been insulated from the day to day problems that the rest of us have to deal with.
True. But no one with half a brain cell would shell out $1 Million, let alone $100 Million or better yet $150 Million, if they didnt know it was a sound investment.

Just saying. We like to beat ourselves up, but this is still obviously a very desirable place.

Now if only our government could be as innovative and resilient as our businesses. We'd be on to something.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM

A pic of the magnificent Spelling Estate.

http://www.luxuo.com/wp-content/uplo...3/spelling.jpg

Personally, I would have left the house for the kids but I suppose they'll get something. At least I hope so.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
We like to beat ourselves up, but this is still obviously a very desirable place.

CA will always be desirable, it's just economics and politics that annoy people.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Well, plenty of rich people and corporations have lost tons of money on real estate so I wouldn't use these transactions as proof that everything's great. If anything this is just more evidence that California is becoming more of a two class society where the mega-rich can buy a great lifestyle and the mega-poor that serve them live like slaves.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
CA will always be desirable, it's just economics and politics that annoy people.
Actually it's the ignorant voting decisions that annoy people.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True. But no one with half a brain cell would shell out $1 Million, let alone $100 Million or better yet $150 Million, if they didnt know it was a sound investment.

Just saying. We like to beat ourselves up, but this is still obviously a very desirable place.

Now if only our government could be as innovative and resilient as our businesses. We'd be on to something.
LOL, I think you will find that people w/ that sort of wealth don't necessarily think of such purchases as a 'sound investment' as is the case when one splurges for a nice coach bag . That being said, such purchases don't impact my day to day or increase my standard of living as doesn't most of the things that the super wealthy do.

Further, the UK is on the verge of insolvency much like Greece and has a tax system 10x are crazy as California's.
The Tax structure in the U.S .. and crazy CA probably seem like paradise compared to the UK....

The latest economic data shows we are heading back into the recession we never left ....
This wont be the first .. nor the last time a wealthy individual pissed money down the drain... Especially when it comes to real-estate...
There is a joke in the RealEstate market that you know when the top is in once the chinese and foreigners (no offense to anyone) start buying.. they usually are some of the 'dumbest' money in the market (proven by historical record).

The clown who bought this will be paying the following approximate property tax bill every year :
$1,875,000 .... one million eight hundred seventy-five thousand

There's a reason why lots of hollywood stars/athletes end up going broke towards retirement... It's not because of their spending.. It's because of the re-occurring costs (I.e - taxes) that get their arses.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 06-15-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well, plenty of rich people and corporations have lost tons of money on real estate so I wouldn't use these transactions as proof that everything's great. If anything this is just more evidence that California is becoming more of a two class society where the mega-rich can buy a great lifestyle and the mega-poor that serve them live like slaves.
Pretty much.... and if history and the world is an example.. you need balance and such locations are not very stable of pleasant.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Or they could be an heiress with too much unearned money who wouldn't know an unsound investment if it ran into her Rolls Royce on the M-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California