Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM

63 posts, read 235,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
for Arnold's failings? The idiots who voted for that steroid-crazed lunkhead are the ones to blame. In my experience people who want to blame non-managerial civil servants for their woes are people who couldn't pass the civil service test. With logic like that demonstrated by Fighter I can see why he was rejected. Get over it and start planning for the post-Arnold era.

BTW, don't feel so bad, Fighter. State employment is no bed of roses and is grossly underpaid compared with the private sector which is why there's so much turnover..
I agree!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroper33 View Post
I'm still scrathing my head as to HOW he got elected in the first place!
because he doesnt represent the political establishment himself, but has democratic political clout because hes married to a kennedy, is socially liberal, and supports inner city programs(sports) and conservative clout because of some of the measures hes supported, the conservative advisors and high profile friends(riordan, leno, etc), and his entreprenuerial success parlaying hardwork into total success.

it also doesnt hurt that california is home to hollywood and we've had success with reagan before him

Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Arnold is pushing for a tax increase (1% for the next 3 years) in order to close the budget gap. California has had a budget deficit for the past 10 years of around $10 billion / year. We LOVE our social programs and that kind of generosity cost money of course. The majority of California's revenue comes from the rich (approx. 87%... national average is roughly 51%). It makes for a very unstable source of revenue when the rich have a "rough" year. In addition, prop. 13 makes the revenue from property taxes imbalanced. For example, I bought a duplex several years ago and pay around 6K/ year in taxes... the people who owned it before me... $350.00 in taxes (and I'm not kidding). Two couples, same property, HUGE differential range in property taxes. Lopsided revenue - nail the young, give the benefits to seniors... what a concept.

As far as state employees, I admit I don't know how it contributes to the problem. But, I do know a retired state employee whose annual pension is 100K+ (from my understanding it adjust w/ inflation). She makes more money now than she did when she worked. She makes more money off the state than her experienced working counterpart by at least 30K-40K a year. Ouch. Makes me want to work for the state... almost.

Last time I checked, California had a higher unemployment rate than the national average (over 2% over the n.a.) and the highest budget deficit in the nation (with New York being a distant second). Businesses often look elsewhere when they expand (they move to more tax friendly states of course). The problems have evolved over decades of feeling based, irrational voting and politicians who focus primarily on the benefits but ignore the consequences (we'll deal with it when/if it happens approach). So don't sling mud at Arnold (he didn't start this conflagration) and not question your own contribution to California's issues - namely, how you voted for initiatives that would have helped CA and who you voted for.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Default Bragging rights.

The formula for retirement is 2% per year of employment. So if your friend worked for 30 years she would make 60% of her salary. Cost of living adjustments are not annual nor are they automatic. Lots of people lie about their income but as Huck Finn said, "it's a fib, not a whopper'" Have a great day. .

Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The formula for retirement is 2% per year of employment. So if your friend worked for 30 years she would make 60% of her salary. Cost of living adjustments are not annual nor are they automatic. Lots of people lie about their income but as Huck Finn said, "it's a fib, not a whopper'" Have a great day. .
The info didn't come from her but rather her son (who she lives with because of health issues). He's in the exact same line of work that she used to do and he's not going to "brag" about his mother making more money than he does. It was more of a, "can you believe it?" conversation. As far as "lots of people lie about their incomes" - yeah, that's true, but apply that phrase to your own friends not to mine. Have a great day too.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You didn't answer the questions about your earlier statements b\c they are not true.
My neighbor walked up to me a couple of days ago and said hey did you here about the new law, you can't water your lawn between blah, blah, blah. I expected it was LA city only, just using it as an example of the complete incompetence of our so-called leaders. Didn't the Roman's have a better water system? Can't a guy vent a little? I have never used near 15 minutes of water per day for my lawn and I have used a hose with shutoff valve since I was about 10.
Every single road I use regularly is a mess. The 14, the 5, the 405 etc. There are ruts in almost every lane. Bumps and jars are constant and put an inordinate strain on me and my cars equipment.
OK, yes I benefited from the fire dept. If you add up all the tax I have paid I probably bought a fire engine so now I feel better.
I have no problem doing my part to educate OUR youth.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Arnold is pushing for a tax increase (1% for the next 3 years)
NO, he is pushing a 1 CENT EXTRA tax which is close to 14%. Did you get a 14% raise lately?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroper33 View Post
I'm still scrathing my head as to HOW he got elected in the first place!
I think it was the boiling over point for a bunch of people. You know, the people that get up and go to work every freakin day and expect the elected leaders to do their freakin job. Then one day you notice something totally wacked and look into it and sure enough, these scumbags haven't done squat. You have raked in how many billions and you want to triple what...

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times
I think it's more like the people of California failed Schwarzenegger! After all he doesn't have much too work with.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I think it's more like the people of California failed Schwarzenegger! After all he doesn't have much too work with.
wow, you are hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California