Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times

Advertisements

Every once in a while, something or someone comes along and offers a tiny glimmer of hope that we bring CA back from the Alice in Wonderland vortex. Prop. 187 was one such hope, but we were summarily smacked in the face on that one. Then Arnold came along with absolute promises of not raising taxes. A bunch of people worked hard at getting him elected. I bought into it, it made sense. Since he was already a bazillionaire, he did not need to take bribes. Now he is pushing for a tax increase. So what is the story? Is it because he is flat out incompetent and should be recalled? Does he not have the power to do anything about it and is therefore useless? Does he lack the cahones that he is constantly accusing other people of lacking? Did he get a phone call from the shadow government to play along or your family will be slaughtered?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
if anyone is too blame it's the state legislature rather than Arnold himself, he's tried but the legislature is filled by a bunch of tax and spend democrats that hold too much power in the state govt. Ca has such partisan, do nothing politicians b/c our districts are gerrymandered up the ying yang and it pretty much guarantees the same politicians or same type of politicians will keep getting elected. We need more moderate, sensible leaders in our state govt.

CA's govt just needs to start over or something b/c there are so many damn fundamental flaws with the system and until those are corrected nothing will ever really get better and we'll just putter along barely surviving.

Also corrupt, special interest public employee unions make the situation worse. The CA Prison's Guards union is the most wasteful and corrupt union of them all but everyone is afraid to touch them b/c of the power and money they have.

CA's govt is so damn screwed up but nobody seems to try something to fundamentally change it forever but just try to these stupid, do little band aid approaches, which in the long run don't do much if anything.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
in order to cover a deficit that the legislature wont relent on he has to take another route. its terrible that we are subjected to this, but as the executive he has to make due with the cards hes dealt if he cant get the legislature to push cuts through. hes the leader and the leader has be in front of everyone to break this kind of news.

if i recall hes doing the same thing that bush sr did. took a lot of balls, but in the end it worked out pretty well for us because that helped usher out the old and bring in the new.

perhaps if this happens it will have the same effect as bush sr's tax hike did, but i dont think it will happen because of the lack of turnover at the highest levels. i just hope that when arnold is done we elect someone that is not inline with the legislature like gray davis was, so we dont get into a mess of guaranteeing more money in spending than we should.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Arnold is making a tough choice. I actually admire him for it. He has approached this at all angles and been stymied at every one.

Blame the legislature and vote them out next time.. if you voted at all this time. The state republicans are as much to blame as the state dems this time around.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Ultimately no Governor is going to please everyone, it's a tough job with tough decisions. Arnold can make one decision and half of Californians will love him for it, the other half will hate him. I think all in all he's done a good job and is better than what we had before.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Most Californians wouldn't elect McClintock for his rightwing views, but he had the only viable economic plan among the rest of the candidates after Davis. The voters go for glitz, not substance.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Blame the legislature and vote them out next time.. if you voted at all this time. The state republicans are as much to blame as the state dems this time around.
Doesn't the second sentence nullify the first?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Ultimately no Governor is going to please everyone, it's a tough job with tough decisions. Arnold can make one decision and half of Californians will love him for it, the other half will hate him. I think all in all he's done a good job and is better than what we had before.
I am at a loss as to what he has actually done. He ran on a no tax platform, had years and years to do something, now is asking for a giant tax. I have lost all admiration. I do not think there is a defensible position that would warrant a tax increase.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Doesn't the second sentence nullify the first?
How so? Get rid of them all next time - clean sweep. I won't vote for a single incumbent next election.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Every once in a while, something or someone comes along and offers a tiny glimmer of hope that we bring CA back from the Alice in Wonderland vortex. Prop. 187 was one such hope, but we were summarily smacked in the face on that one. Then Arnold came along with absolute promises of not raising taxes. A bunch of people worked hard at getting him elected. I bought into it, it made sense. Since he was already a bazillionaire, he did not need to take bribes. Now he is pushing for a tax increase. So what is the story? Is it because he is flat out incompetent and should be recalled? Does he not have the power to do anything about it and is therefore useless? Does he lack the cahones that he is constantly accusing other people of lacking? Did he get a phone call from the shadow government to play along or your family will be slaughtered?
Your Prop 187 statement identifies your political affiliation since many voted against it knowing fully well the court would invalidate it anyway. Republicans in California are never happy & some would prefer to live in Texas. Admittedly Schwarzenegger failed miserably with his initiatives once he became governor. He fully understands that Republicanism in California must be moderated considerably if any business is to be done.

Republican assembly\senate members have no power other than the purse since the California legislature has the strictest fiscal controls of any state [except 2]. And the state budget is being held up again by these power-crazed Republicans. People are angry with the state government because the majority of Californians have to deal with a GOP minority that consistently drag our state backward [including the anti-gay marriage initiative].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California