U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 35,613 times

Advertisements

Hey I really appreciate all your replies. Yes the company is Delaware North and the housing rental is $200 a month that includes all utilities and the salary is $65,000. So we're just trying to decide what would be best. Honestly, I think the most important aspect besides the money is the type of house they give us to live in. It needs to not be a dump. I'm a part-time house wife so the house is really important to me. But I'm thinking there are maybe people there my age... mid to upper twenties to socialize with since my husband works 16hrs a day... he's just like that
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,564,694 times
There will be people there your age, for sure. That's probably the age range of most of the full-timers. Old enough to have some experience for mgmt. positions, but young enough to still be okay with the lifestyle. It sure can be a lot of fun to live up there, just, like I said, don't expect to lead a 'normal' life. of course, your definitions of normal may differ, depending on your own background.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 PM

36 posts, read 58,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Oh, yeah, one other thing. Everyone who lives there year-round, at least those over age 20, has a pretty thick and interesting background. It's kind of a refuge for outcasts. But totally fun in a Steinbeck-ish way, if you're into that sort of thing. I met some real characters up there.
Did you live in or near boystown?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,564,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K in Reno View Post
Did you live in or near boystown?
Yes, in the summertime I did.

Back to the OP: You need to talk to the employer and find out if that housing they're offering is IN THE VALLEY oe elsewhere, like El Portal. Maybe this all moot point now though, since the thread is kinda old now.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
DNC Parks & Resorts @ Yosemite, Inc. still offers housing in Yosemite Valley, as well as Wawona. They are not moving employees out to El Portal, as there is no housing there other than an old trailerpark, which NPS owns, as well as the surrounding property. And the fact that NPS wants to eliminate the trailer park, they are not allowing people to move in anymore, just those who are grandfathered in, but no transfers of trailers either. Rent is from $15 to $40 a week, depending on the accomadations. Union employees get roommates, and housing ranges from a tent cabin, to CVRA (new housing) with bathroom indoors. Managers can eventually get a house, apartment, or a private room in a divided mobilehome building. All housing areas have laundry facilities, common cooking and laundry rooms. Some have TV rooms or lounge's, others have community center. Meals program is $45 a week, 3 meals per day. Or you could not be on meals, and pay 50% at the cafeteria's and limited eating places. Obviously you would not get 50% off at the Ahwahnee dining room, or the Mountain Room restaurant. Pay grade and wages depend on job classification, and longevity (how long worked, or work - 2 raises in first year). Of course some employees have tipping job, making $8.00 an hour, but can bring home $150 a day in tips...

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 2,561,023 times
Amanda,

You also need to factor in that you'll have to drive 50 miles each way to do grocery shopping or 100 miles to do any other type of shopping. The closest towns are Mariposa and Oakhurst. Nine months out of the year you'll be battling traffic in and out of the park and the rest of the year the roads are slick with ice and snow. Other than that, living in Yosemite would be nice for maybe two years.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 8,189,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Amanda,

You also need to factor in that you'll have to drive 50 miles each way to do grocery shopping or 100 miles to do any other type of shopping. The closest towns are Mariposa and Oakhurst. Nine months out of the year you'll be battling traffic in and out of the park and the rest of the year the roads are slick with ice and snow. Other than that, living in Yosemite would be nice for maybe two years.
FEDEX UPS and the Schwan Man, no need to leave home.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 5,303,049 times
Interesting old thread. I worked in Yosemite in the mid to late 1980s (six years altogether). Both hourly union jobs and low level management at the Yosemite Lodge and Ahwahnee Hotel. It was a great experience, but exasperating as well. The crush of tourists during the high season really wears on you. Lower level employees don't really have any privacy (hourly share a room with another employee). Even my little private cabin while in management was about the size of a large bedroom in an average house (no kitchen facilities either). Thankfully my parents lived in Midpines about 50 minutes drive down Hwy 140. I'd head down there whenever the tourists or my roommate starting getting on my nerves for a little break.

Still, the beauty of the place made it worthwhile and I do remember it fondly. As someone said, the other employees can be very interesting people and come from all over the country - quite an opportunity for a local kid to widen their circle of friends. I would highly recommend it to someone just out of high school - its a fun adventure. Plus they're very good about letting you come back during the summer to your old job while you're in college.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM

68 posts, read 79,765 times
So did you move to Yosemite?

I'm looking at a similar job.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_jo_hill View Post
We would actually be living IN the Park.
Amanda, what ended up
Happening??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California