Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times

Advertisements

I'm a big Football Fan, a 49er fan in fact. But why can't any of the CA teams build a stadium? Oakland, SF or SD? It would be a shame to loose any of those teams to other states or cities that will build a state of the art stadium for any of those teams. I hear they are planing to build a new football stadium in the City of Industry and make a current team move (small market like Chargers, Bills, Saints..ect)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
Most Californians aren't gullible enough to buy the pay-for-my-stadium rhetoric from rich franchise owners. They don't provide that much long-term economic stimulus, and they divert attention and resources from more pressing needs.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:33 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
I was thinking about 100% financed private funds. Can you imagine superbowls in LA or SF? That would be huge for the economy if they were in the rotation. The new PHX stadium is awesome.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I was thinking about 100% financed private funds. Can you imagine superbowls in LA or SF? That would be huge for the economy if they were in the rotation. The new PHX stadium is awesome.
Because the private entities can't afford to build here. It requires huge infrastructure investments that they want the cities to pay for. Taxpayers don't want to fund those projects.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I, for one, am glad that the taxpayers don't want to pay for such projects! Don't we have enough to worry about now with the sorry state of education, health care, etc. in California? The state doesn't even have a budget in place yet. Even if they did, I think it would be fiscally irresponsible to use public funds to build a football stadium. Private financing is a different issue; if the movie studios wanted to do this, for example, that'd be fine with me.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I, for one, am glad that the taxpayers don't want to pay for such projects! Don't we have enough to worry about now with the sorry state of education, health care, etc. in California? The state doesn't even have a budget in place yet. Even if they did, I think it would be fiscally irresponsible to use public funds to build a football stadium. Private financing is a different issue; if the movie studios wanted to do this, for example, that'd be fine with me.
Taxes don't have to be what gets them done, there are other options. Also, it's easy to think of a new stadium as just sports related, but when you put in a new stadium especially downtown you not only revitalize a downtown area, but you also create tons of jobs and really boost the local economy.

Living in San Diego I've seen what Petco Park has done for downtown San Diego, it's true what they say, it's more than just a ballpark.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Taxes don't have to be what gets them done, there are other options. Also, it's easy to think of a new stadium as just sports related, but when you put in a new stadium especially downtown you not only revitalize a downtown area, but you also create tons of jobs and really boost the local economy.

Living in San Diego I've seen what Petco Park has done for downtown San Diego, it's true what they say, it's more than just a ballpark.
The new generation of ballparks have been easier to build... they are typically small and located in a revitalizing downtown (i.e on crumbling industrial space)

A football stadium is a much bigger proposition.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
I don't know if that's really true. I'm pretty sure that Safeco Field (baseball) cost more than Qwest Field (football), for example. Either way you cut it, both were monstrously huge projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The new generation of ballparks have been easier to build... they are typically small and located in a revitalizing downtown (i.e on crumbling industrial space)

A football stadium is a much bigger proposition.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
As far as football in Los Angeles, I think most are fairly content with just having USC and UCLA college football. Ask most people about a pro team and they say "Well, it would be nice..." but it isn't a HUGE deal to them. My kid's school district doesn't even have enough money to run 80% of the school buses right now, and the idea of using public funds to build a stadium is not right in my opinion. Emergency rooms are closing throughout the state and they have been waiting years to build a subway to the sea. A football stadium is not the most important source of public funds. Now if a bunch of billionaires and companies want to use their own money for it, go ahead

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post

They can have Superbowls in LA or SF even if there is no team there. The Superbowl has been played at Stanford, the Coliseum, San Diego's Stadium (used to be called Jack Murphy) and the Rose Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California