U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of California is more Californian?
They're both Californian 112 70.44%
Northern is more real Californian 16 10.06%
Southern is more real Californian - Hollywood, like duh! 31 19.50%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 PM

100 posts, read 131,478 times

Advertisements

Both =
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM

13,875 posts, read 24,839,640 times
California's vast variety is what makes it so interesting. Both are real California, and both have significant variety within their own region.

Back about a decade ago, when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, I visited CA on a business trip for a couple of weeks with some coworkers from Ohio and Pennsylvania. After the trip was over, one said something I thought was very interesting, "why would folks living in California ever need to go anywhere else for a vacation?"

Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,148 times
The real Ca is on the central coast

Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
both are "real california" BUT Southern California is definitely a lot better with disney, hollywood, and San Diego....

Old 11-28-2008, 01:18 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,378,647 times
I Think socal has a another name i think its 'SouthLand" but let's not divide each other because i love the whole state so much and one without each other is a big loss.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 AM

681 posts, read 2,708,497 times
Default The "poll" is sappy, in my view.

Sorry, but there are no more "real" California's left. To find one you'd need to go to some other continent. Here in the golden state we have trashed our economy and ruined our infrastructure to the point where all that we have left is a thin veneer of glitter overriding a cracked eggshell structure called "civilization".

So even though a gazillion little local snap shots of what "California" once was remain, the real deal is long gone. Too bad, because it was once a fun place to live. It will never happen but the best thing that could occur is if we'd be allowed the form four or five real states out of the dregs of this mess. That way the citizens of each new state could concentrate of what they need to do to survive and prosper. But what we're doing now is quickly killing everything that creates jobs in order to care for those who won't take care of themselves, because they're the ones with the most votes. What was that definition for insanity again?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 AM

208 posts, read 412,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
California's vast variety is what makes it so interesting. Both are real California, and both have significant variety within their own region.

Back about a decade ago, when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, I visited CA on a business trip for a couple of weeks with some coworkers from Ohio and Pennsylvania. After the trip was over, one said something I thought was very interesting, "why would folks living in California ever need to go anywhere else for a vacation?"
You hit it on the nail, you be surprised how many Californian's vacation within the state. Many southern Californian residents will either go to San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Monterey/Carmel, the national parks, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead (mountains), Palm Springs, and to Las Vegas (which is really just an extension of southern california).

I know personally when I can't afford to go on a long trip, I will vacation in the San Francisco Bay Area. Its a cheap flight, or short drive and it feels as if I went somewhere far. Plus I can stay with relatives without the expense of a hotel.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,506,071 times
False dichotomy. There are a lot more distinct "Californias" than a simple north/south divide. Most parts of the state wouldn't want to self-identify with either LA or the Bay Area.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM

306 posts, read 692,550 times
The state's first capital was San Francisco.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 PM

902 posts, read 2,557,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
The state's first capital was San Francisco.
No it wasn't, nor has it ever been (well for a very short period of about 5 months SF was the temporary capital). Don't know where you got that from. The first capital of CA was San Jose. I find it interesting that every state capital CA has had, has been in NorCal. I am just saying lol, I find it kind funny as most people from other regions of the country think SoCal when they think of CA. I cannot tell you how many people I have met that thought Oakland was a neighboring city to LA. Former CA capital's were in Vallejo, Benicia, and San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California