U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of California is more Californian?
They're both Californian 112 70.44%
Northern is more real Californian 16 10.06%
Southern is more real Californian - Hollywood, like duh! 31 19.50%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,053,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
No it wasn't, nor has it ever been (well for a very short period of about 5 months SF was the temporary capital). Don't know where you got that from. The first capital of CA was San Jose. I find it interesting that every state capital CA has had, has been in NorCal. I am just saying lol, I find it kind funny as most people from other regions of the country think SoCal when they think of CA. I cannot tell you how many people I have met that thought Oakland was a neighboring city to LA. Former CA capital's were in Vallejo, Benicia, and San Jose.
Wasn't Monterey one as well?

I know Berkeley was in consideration at one point but didn't make it. That's why the Arlington Circle is there. It's in an area where the streets are named after various places in California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 PM

902 posts, read 2,556,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Wasn't Monterey one as well?

I know Berkeley was in consideration at one point but didn't make it. That's why the Arlington Circle is there. It's in an area where the streets are named after various places in California.
Yeah I believe Monterey was the original capital of Spanish California back in the late 1700's. I just listed the capital's of CA after it entered the union. I never knew that Berkeley had once been considered, too bad it didn't make it, I think it would make a good state capital.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,053,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Yeah I believe Monterey was the original capital of Spanish California back in the late 1700's. I just listed the capital's of CA after it entered the union. I never knew that Berkeley had once been considered, too bad it didn't make it, I think it would make a good state capital.
Ok thanks for that clarification.

Being a native of Berkeley, I'm sort of glad it didn't make it. It would have been a very different place had it become the capital with all that would come with it.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,334,089 times
While both Northern and Southern California are essentially Californian in their own right, I do understand what others are saying regarding SoCal being the pop culture image of the state. When I moved from LA to San Francisco, many of my family members/friends back east were totally surprised when I told them that you really can't go to the beach in SF like you do in LA. In their minds, "California" is synonymous with warm sunny weather, wide sandy beaches, palm trees, and convertibles. Of course they've heard of the Golden Gate Bridge, Redwood Forests, and Wine Country, but they just assumed that all those things were still within close proximity of warm sunny beaches simply because they are in California. Why do you think sweatshirts sell so well down at Fisherman's Wharf? All those tourists come here thinking it's shorts and flip flops weather since they're vacationing in California. San Francisco is the only city other than Seattle where I've worn a jacket in the middle of July to keep warm.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 AM

16,276 posts, read 28,862,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
San Francisco is the only city other than Seattle where I've worn a jacket in the middle of July to keep warm.
Really? I wear a jacket all the time down here in the Southern Part of the state. In the winter time it can get down to the mid 60's.

All joking aside it can get cold during the winter months with the snow on the mountains helping to cool down the area. I live on the coast and have seen frost on my car windows at 6 in the morning. Yes it did burn off by 8am, but it was there. lol

Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,334,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Really? I wear a jacket all the time down here in the Southern Part of the state. In the winter time it can get down to the mid 60's.
lol, it was always amusing how people in SoCal would break out the heavy winter coats, scarfs, earmuffs, and mittens whenever the temperature dipped below 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
All joking aside it can get cold during the winter months with the snow on the mountains helping to cool down the area. I live on the coast and have seen frost on my car windows at 6 in the morning. Yes it did burn off by 8am, but it was there. lol
I lived in the Valley and remember leaving for work a few mornings only to have to scrape frost off my car. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it. I had no idea that LA got that. Regardless, I found winter to be my absolute favorite time of the year in LA. The air is so crisp and clear, you see snow on the mountains, the hills are so green...SoCal really show its true beauty during the winter months.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM

208 posts, read 412,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
lol, it was always amusing how people in SoCal would break out the heavy winter coats, scarfs, earmuffs, and mittens whenever the temperature dipped below 65.

I lived in the Valley and remember leaving for work a few mornings only to have to scrape frost off my car. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it. I had no idea that LA got that. Regardless, I found winter to be my absolute favorite time of the year in LA. The air is so crisp and clear, you see snow on the mountains, the hills are so green...SoCal really show its true beauty during the winter months.
No argument that San Francisco is cooler overall, but I think Los Angeles winter nighttime temps are a bit cooler than San Francisco. I could be wrong, but I believe I read that that is actually gets colder here in LA.

I had some visitors from Chicago, and Cinncinati a couple years ago during the MLK holiday weekend in the middle of January. Even they were suprised how cold it got in LA and was caught off guard. Some of the guys ended up wearing ear muffs, scrafs, and beanies. It was pure pleasure to see my mid-westerns friends freeze their butts off in southern california.

To be fair its usually not that cool here, but there are days in the winter that L.A. temperatures dips enough where even a snowbird has to admit its pretty cold. That particular weekend had dropped down into the 30 at night, and the highs was only in the low to mid 40's during the day.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM

10,630 posts, read 24,534,336 times
I wore a jacket at times while living in LA, but wore one a lot more often in San Francisco. Then again, it really depends on where in SF you're located; in the Richmond it was cold and foggy, and I wore a much smaller range of clothing than I did in LA. I had a hard time with that, although I love the fog; as a native Midwesterner I'm used to a greater range of seasons, and in some ways I felt there was more of that in LA than in SF (although I like SF's cooler temperatures better). I guess the big point is that people shouldn't assume that either LA or SF is warm and sunny all the time, because it most definitely is not.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,671,614 times
OP: That's just dumb--sorry. They're both the real California.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,671,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Sorry, but there are no more "real" California's left. To find one you'd need to go to some other continent. Here in the golden state we have trashed our economy and ruined our infrastructure to the point where all that we have left is a thin veneer of glitter overriding a cracked eggshell structure called "civilization".

So even though a gazillion little local snap shots of what "California" once was remain, the real deal is long gone. Too bad, because it was once a fun place to live. It will never happen but the best thing that could occur is if we'd be allowed the form four or five real states out of the dregs of this mess. That way the citizens of each new state could concentrate of what they need to do to survive and prosper. But what we're doing now is quickly killing everything that creates jobs in order to care for those who won't take care of themselves, because they're the ones with the most votes. What was that definition for insanity again?

I have to agree. Never gave the idea of dividing the state into multiple states serious consideration but lately, that doesn't seem like a bad idea. 2 Southerns (LA, OC, SD Counties) + (SBC, Riverside, and Imperial Counties), 1 Central, 1 Bay area, 1 Far North (Eureka, Redding, Tahoe, Humboldt). The state is too big to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California