U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of California is more Californian?
They're both Californian 112 70.44%
Northern is more real Californian 16 10.06%
Southern is more real Californian - Hollywood, like duh! 31 19.50%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,889,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
No argument that San Francisco is cooler overall, but I think Los Angeles winter nighttime temps are a bit cooler than San Francisco. I could be wrong, but I believe I read that that is actually gets colder here in LA.

I had some visitors from Chicago, and Cinncinati a couple years ago during the MLK holiday weekend in the middle of January. Even they were suprised how cold it got in LA and was caught off guard. Some of the guys ended up wearing ear muffs, scrafs, and beanies. It was pure pleasure to see my mid-westerns friends freeze their butts off in southern california.

To be fair its usually not that cool here, but there are days in the winter that L.A. temperatures dips enough where even a snowbird has to admit its pretty cold. That particular weekend had dropped down into the 30 at night, and the highs was only in the low to mid 40's during the day.
??

I am a bit of a weather nerd [love science] and keep close track of temps. San Francisco is not warmer than Los Angeles any month of the year. You are correct that the city of San Francisco is warmer at night than any other Bay Area city during winter. That is because San Francisco is surrounded by water on 3 sides and even in the coldest weather it is rare to see frost but across the bay and away from the water frost is fairly common.

Los Angeles is very spread out and has many micro-climates. Like San Francisco, the beach areas of LA are strongly effected by the ocean and frost is basically unheard of. Even downtown LA [some 10 miles inland] is frost-free because night temps rarely drop below 40F and even during the worst California freezes, downtown\ USC has not recorded below freezing temps for decades. The average Jan minimum in San Francisco is 46F. The average Jan minimum in Los Angeles is 48F. Not much of a difference. But the average maximum in Jan is 58F in San Francisco while it averages 68F in Los Angeles.

Minimums in the 30's have occurred in LA [and certainly do in the inland areas] but are rare [only once this winter]. Maximum temps in the 40's are basically unheard of in LA with most winters bottoming out in the 50's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM

681 posts, read 2,703,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
.........The state is too big to manage.
Yeah. Pity the fool who becomes the next governor. Wouldn't wish that gut-wrencher on anyone who's still sane.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,509,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I'm going to give an answer to people who do not live in California. I live in the Bay Area (considered Northern California). The California that is depicted around the world and the rest of the country with the beaches, the fast life, the palm trees, models and musclemen kicking sand on beatiful, hot beaches - and sun, sun, sun - is Southern California. Virtually every movie that celebrates the luxury and fun on life in California is modelled after Southern California living. There are some great places in Northern California - but only us California natives are aware of that - the iconic image that represents "Sunny California", is based largely and almost inclusively on the Southern Part of the state.
Even that's bogus.

I've lived in The OC, but compared to S. Florida beaches on the east coast. (Say in Palm Beach County), California doesn't seem tropical at all. And in all reality, Hawaii is the *real* deal when it comes to beach/surf culture.

In reality SoCal is sunny, rarely rains here. But it's a desert, not a lush tropical paradise.

The earthquakes get a lot of billing, but the reality is, the biggest day to day threat is *fires*, except in rainy season. Then it ends up being mudslides, LOL!

Bottom line is, the media perpertrated SoCal doesn't really exist. *That* California..."postcard" California is a photographer's fabrication. Of course if you walk around with polarized sunglasses on, it sometimes looks like the postcard, LOL!

Best to come see it for yourself.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
..........California doesn't seem tropical at all.........
Mild note here that I didn't notice a claim of "tropicalness", basically just warm and sunny beaches. Were you projecting a little?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Madison View Post
.........Bottom line is, the media perpertrated [sic] SoCal doesn't really exist. *That* California..."postcard" California is a photographer's fabrication.
But it once did exist, isn't that one of the points of this thread? Nostalgia?

I think, too, your theme ignores the large numbers of surfers who swarm all over SoCal beaches and even as far north as Monterey, Santa Cruz and - wait for it now - Half Moon Bay, the site of a recent newsworthy competition [Rogue waves, anyone?] Shouldn't you restate your comment a little?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 AM

17 posts, read 44,517 times
The beauty and wonder of California lies in its variety -- mountains, redwood forests, wine country to the north, and deserts to the East, sun, surf, and Hollywood to the south -- the best climate is in Coastal SoCal where I live (Laguna Niguel, in Orange County). It's a BIG state with something for everyone. I LOVE CALIFORNIA!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,237,088 times
It's all California....It's so amazing what great beauty and diversity/variety this state offers that many people do have different images of what California is.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 PM

12 posts, read 33,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm a Bay Area native who has been living in Southern CA for the last 7 years and they are both the REAL California. The state wouldn't be what it is w/o the other. SoCal is a little more the OUTSIDERS stereotypical image of CA with Hollywood, the sun, palm trees, weather, beaches, surfers, etc.. But Northern CA with SF, the GG Bridge, Lake Tahoe, Redwood Forests, Wine County, etc...are just as much as part of the CA landscape and lifestyle as much as the characteristics of SoCal. It's too bad some people in this state are so biased b/c each part has good and bad points and they both make CA what it is.

Also you need to learn your history a little better if you think Southern CA didn't become "Americanized" until the 1900's.
Yes, I too agree, as a CA native (I grew up in San Rafael, Marin County).

There is that "rilvary" between nor Cal. and so Cal., but really, the state would not be the same without both ends - all of wrapped up in the bundle that is California. it is true that southern CA has, because of Hollywood, has more of that stereotypical California "image" than northern California.

During my senior year at Terra Linda HS in San Rafael in 1981/82, an exchange student from Finland was in my P.E. class - he DIDN'T even bring a jacket with him, because he thought California was warm all year 'round! I wonder where he got THAT idea from... poor dude - shivering one morning in class when, by early October, the mornings became quite cool in San Rafael.

Oh, and all of this talk one hears about splitting-up the state because it has become so "big" and "unwieldy" - can one imagine the expense of that? Not to mention the need to add one more star to the American Flag - the cost of that alone would break the national budget...worse...

-v-

Last edited by vlfradio; 09-11-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: to fix a typo or two

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 PM

4,811 posts, read 9,239,539 times
They both make up California. I may poke at Northern california a bit, but both parts are what make California! You have the colder climate to the North with the redwoods, wine country, and the Bay Area, you have the warm sunny climate in the south, with palm trees, warmer beaches, a lot more laid back, deserts, mountains, and great entertainment. I love this whole state despite what the state economy is like. Too many people focus on the negatives of California (economy) than focus on why this state is still number one because it's so varied in everything from weather, culture, scenery. No other state can really compare.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,131,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Southern California is probably people's idea of California more, but I think nowhere is as truly Californian as the Bay Area, of course being a San Francisco native and growing up in the suburbs I'm biased, but after all, San Francisco was where the Gold Rush wealth went, and Southern California arguably has more history in common with Arizona and New Mexico as it didn't really become Americanized until the early 1900s.
I'd have to say Southern California for the shear fact that "California" to most people outside of the state is: Beaches, 75 degree weather, hot babes everywhere, and too much traffic.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlfradio View Post
Oh, and all of this talk one hears about splitting-up the state because it has become so "big" and "unwieldy" - can one imagine the expense of that? Not to mention the need to add one more star to the American Flag - the cost of that alone would break the national budget...worse...
Speaking of the budget, how can one "break" what is already broken? Btw, when things change US flags remain legal and proper no matter how many stars they contain.

There is another solution, though. Let's let SoCal remain part of the US and the rest of us will re-form the Republic of California again, We already have a flag and history on our side. But that's probably another thread. [Oops! I hear a moderator coming down the hall].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California