Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of California is more Californian?
They're both Californian 112 70.44%
Northern is more real Californian 16 10.06%
Southern is more real Californian - Hollywood, like duh! 31 19.50%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times

Advertisements

They are both the real California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
It seems the OP left the basis for "real" up for interpretation, so let's consider some CA icons as a starting point: Disneyland, the Hollywood sign, Beverly Hills, surfers, Palm Springs, Death Valley, Mt. Whitney, Lake Tahoe, Golden Gate Bridge, Lone Cypress, redwood forests, wine grapes, Mt. Shasta. With these in mind, all of CA is the real one.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 PM

196 posts, read 388,766 times
I'm going to give an answer to people who do not live in California. I live in the Bay Area (considered Northern California). The California that is depicted around the world and the rest of the country with the beaches, the fast life, the palm trees, models and musclemen kicking sand on beatiful, hot beaches - and sun, sun, sun - is Southern California. Virtually every movie that celebrates the luxury and fun on life in California is modelled after Southern California living. There are some great places in Northern California - but only us California natives are aware of that - the iconic image that represents "Sunny California", is based largely and almost inclusively on the Southern Part of the state.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
the iconic image that represents "Sunny California", is based largely and almost inclusively on the Southern Part of the state.
More specifically a very narrow coastal strip of the 3-5 southern most counties.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 15,746 times
<SARCASM>Ok, this poll is inherently broken. Everyone knows that Northern California and Southern California are both California... it's central California that we can all agree that isn't really California.... basically from Fresno to Bakersfield.</SARCASM>

Seriously, I would agree that Southern California is much closer to the "stereotype" of California. Having lived in the San Joaquin Valley, I can tell you there were WEEKS where we did not see the sun... and there weren't any beaches around. And surfing wasn't offered in high school. And no one that I knew had appearance-enhancing operations done. Nor was anyone employed in the television, movie, or adult-entertainment industry.

But then, Southern California doesn't have the Golden Gate Bridge, the Redwoods, the Liberals, and that little playground they call Yosemite...

Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM

46 posts, read 126,928 times
I frankly dont get what makes one more than the other "real California". It is all the same, cows here, cows there, big cities here and there. It is a mix and we have a little bit of everything all over the state. In terms of history, I dont know of any city or town that does not have a history. Which ever history that is, it contributes to the California history as a whole. You cant really depend on the climate because Northern Cali, like Sacramento, gets just as hot as LA in the summer. California is a beautiful state, lets not divide each other.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Default Re: The "Real" California...

I used to live in S. Cal in the 60's and 70's just before it became too crazy crowded, over-priced, gang problems, etc.

Recently retired and moved back after many years, this time to N. Cali (the Chico area), and it's everything I used to love in this state... great weather, beautiful scenery, uncrowded, affordable, little crime.

And anyone who's lived in an urban area will appreciate the simple pleasures like looking for a parking space at the local Costco, without feeling like it's some sort of competition.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
As the other posters stated: it is all California

No squabbling, nothing on this thread...................

Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
I'm from Norcal and live in Socal, and I think they both add a welcomed part to the whole. Sometimes when driving from one to the other, as I go down the 5 thru the valley, I think that's the real CA, because the natural, non-urbanized landscape adds just as much to the state as the cities do.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 PM

204 posts, read 751,771 times
Southern is more real Californian - Hollywood, like duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California