Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 15,166 times

Advertisements

Im not in the military and have lived all over the place, my wife and I are 32 with a three year old. DO NOT live anywhere within 15-20 minutes of either Edwards gates.Tehachapi is the best place to live It's a great place for kids.We bought a house here last year in the city limits Which is great for all the fun activities in town.Palmdale is Ok but has a high crime rate with a lot of section 8 in areas and it's LA county for taxes not Kern county like Tehachapi. I go to Bakersfield and my wife goes to Edwards everyday,no matter where you live you will have to drive long distances. Be prepared for a shock when moving here it's nothing like the coast or the high elevation mountain areas. Tehachapi has a indoor public pool,camping and hiking at the Tehachapi Mountain, small lakes, many parks with a skatepark and a dog park, wineries a few bars and many places to eat and it's pretty with the surrounding Mountains. We will be selling or renting our house in April to move and we are very glad we picked Tehachapi.There is something wrong with people giving advice to live in Cal city, Edwards,Roasmand,Mojave,or Lancaster.It's not worth being close to Edwards trust me!!!! I have more info on the area if anyone needs. Good luck....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 15,166 times
by the way Bear valley is over rated....Views are nice and the lakes are cool but the gym has not been updated since the 80s along with trails and other things. It's not worth the extra drive or the fees. Some nice houses are in B.V. along with small old ugly homes. Gas is 5 dollars a gallon and milk and bread at the local store is three times as much. Very over rated and not very much for nature lovers like you would think. Many older people than young families.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,943 times
I use to live in Bear Valley Springs some years ago and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, "BUT" at that time there were alot of restrictions on the area. I guess that was due to being in the mountains that they had to enforce those kind of rules. Home colors, type of fence, parking, ECT;

Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Bear Valley Springs?
Probably a misnomer: no bear, no valley, no springs.

Sort of like Mountain View..

Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,086 times
Default HOA fees way less than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
I have family in Bear Valley Springs. It's nice, but has a very high HOA / local taxes as they have they are essentially disconnected from the services in Tehachapi. I want to say it's over $500 per month but someone here can validate.
I live in BVS. This year's HOA fees are around $1500 (2016), about $30 a week. We also get a monthly bill for gas, roads, waste disposal etc. The HOA fees pay for various amenities, we have lakes we can swim, kayak, or fish, a swimming pool, tennis, basket ball court, baseball field, hot pool and pickle courts, bars, restaurants, shop, gas station, gym, 9 hole golf (with pro shop), miles and miles of horse trails (and equestrian center, with covered arena etc. where horses can be boarded) and even our own model airfield and a shooting range

Most of the year we have elk and deer, sometimes within feet of our house. We have red tailed Hawks, white tailed kites, even the odd eagle or condor. Condors and coyotes and even, rarely seen, mountain lions and bears.

Up at 4,000 on the valley floor, temperatures can be 15 to 20 degrees lower than nearby Palmdale or Bakersfield. We even get snow in winter, but rarely lasts longer than a few days.

As has been said, the main drawback is limited jobs and shopping, nearest cities of any size are an hour's drive away. In bad weather, access to those cities may be blocked as this is limited to the 58 and to a single lane each way high altitude (fog and snow) back road to Willow Springs. Four wheel drive is nearly essential in winter, especially at the higher altitudes (where a few days' emergency supplies is also recommended in winter)

The gate access is gated inbound, but not gated outbound, so no real danger of getting locked in, but there is only the one way in or out, unless they unlock the back gates that lead over dirt roads to Arvin.

Hope this info helps.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 AM

95 posts, read 82,550 times
Perhaps to escape from the forest fires

Especially in the summer

Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasserbbk View Post
Perhaps to escape from the forest fires

Especially in the summer
I guess you missed the Deer Fire, and the fact that there is only one road in and out of the valley, unless you count the locked gate on the back road into Arvin.

Not a great escape from fires of any sort.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:30 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
We carried what we called "Forestry Key" A large bolt cutter. Gates only slowed us down for a couple of minutes.
We must have the same locksmith!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM

95 posts, read 82,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I guess you missed the Deer Fire, and the fact that there is only one road in and out of the valley, unless you count the locked gate on the back road into Arvin.

Not a great escape from fires of any sort.
Yes it is true

* I just guessed, because I do not know your own country, you know more than me

Thanks, Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California