Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times

Advertisements

Your quality of life is awful, yet your natives could not imagine living anywhere else. I had the chance to move about 5 months ago, and did not. It was a HUGE mistake. I caution anyone caught up in the hype of the "California Lifestyle". Really make sure you understand what this so-called lifestyle includes before you move here. I have posted other threads detailing some of the negatives to so-cal living. Another thing I find REALLY annoying, is that when you mention the thought of moving anywhere else to people out here, the first thing that comes out of their mouths is "but the weather!". Like how could I possibly even consider living somewhere that actually has weather?! I for one do not care for the "PERFECT WEATHER" out here. It is stagnant and boring. I hope young families and couples will think long and hard before moving out here, unless they have an income of at least $150k and are prepared to jump on a roller coaster due to the fast pace of living here. Anyhow, after school I am getting the heck out of dodge.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Give me a break, these kinds of threads are so ridiculous. You started it just to rub it in that when your done with school your leaving? Good for you, and I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.

There are plenty of us who do like it here, so understand that what works for you isn't going to work for everyone else. If you'd be happier with a different quality of life I say good for you, whatever works for you as an individual is what it's all about. If you expect that people are going to somehow apologize to you though for Southern California not meeting your needs your going to be waiting a long time. It's to bad it didn't fit your preferences, but I have no sympathy for you.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
My sister and her husband moved to California from Texas a year ago and gush incessantly about how much better it is here.

To each his/her own I guess.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy or apologies. These are exactly the attitudes I'm looking forward to leaving. You sound like you belong in the category of idiots that believe California is superior, and you get offended when it is criticized. Please continue, you further confirm my need for leaving!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
I'd give me left nut to live in Califonia again. There is no better place to live on the planet in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I moved out. But I miss the weather too. And the diversity of restaurants $3 authentic burritoes and $1 tacos on every street corner (this is making me hungry). And Fry's electronics, Trader Joes, Ikea, Cupids Hot Dogs, 6PM nationally televised sporting events (don't have to stay up late), lap swimming 365 days/year outside.

Don't miss the traffic. Don't miss the expensive housing (but it is getting interesting - check out the latest numbers from dataquick)

A lot of angst has to do with timing. If you bought a home 10-12 years ago it wasn't that bad (good neighborhoods in the $150/sqft range - we bought in a primo neighborhood in Huntsville at about $130/sqft this summer)

Bought a house two years ago? Ouch.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy or apologies. These are exactly the attitudes I'm looking forward to leaving. You sound like you belong in the category of idiots that believe California is superior, and you get offended when it is criticized. Please continue, you further confirm my need for leaving!

Then what the hell are you looking for here then? Are you looking for others to validate your negative feelings? Or did you just feel the need to share your misery and bad attitude with everyone else then try to blame everyone else for you feeling that way? Just curious....

Yeah b/c it's not like you would be offended if I just randomly went off about how much AK or TX sucks for no good reason. Get a grip for christs sake!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Charles, thank you for your reply. I have enjoyed following your threads since I joined this forum. I know you left CO for AL. Both places I believe offer a better quality of life. I understand the weather argument from many, but is that worth sacrificing quality of life? Is having the sun out everyday worth not being able to purchase a home, or be a stay at home mom eventually? I did not marry a millionaire, just a middle-upper class joe. I also can not imagine raising children in Orange County due to the rampant materialistic nature.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Our quality of life sucks? Gee didn't notice.

I better hurry to Arkansas. Wal-Mart hiring?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Charles, thank you for your reply. I have enjoyed following your threads since I joined this forum. I know you left CO for AL. Both places I believe offer a better quality of life. I understand the weather argument from many, but is that worth sacrificing quality of life? Is having the sun out everyday worth not being able to purchase a home, or be a stay at home mom eventually? I did not marry a millionaire, just a middle-upper class joe. I also can not imagine raising children in Orange County due to the rampant materialistic nature.
You do know that homes in California are like 40% off their price only a year ago?

Affordability in California has literally doubled in all Metro Areas and sales are starting to reflect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: