Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,679 times

Advertisements

If so, are there any shortcuts to Bakerfield? Or do you have to go out the front gate and go all the way around? How long does it take to drive to Bakersfield (say the center of town) from BVS? Are there any back-roads at all you can use to get there faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,946 times
We lived there for 4 years (off of Dear Trail). I'm sorry to tell you but there are no other ways down to the valley other than 202 to the freeway. My wife had to make that trip every day to work and it got to be too much. When she got pregnant with our 2nd, that was it for living in paradise and we moved back to Bakes.

It used to take me 10 minutes from my house to the front gate then 10 more minutes to town or the freeway. The cops are srtict about the speed limit in Bear Valley and on 202 so you can't roar through there. My shop was at the airport and it was 30 minutes to work no matter what.

Once you hit 58, you can get to the junction of 99 in about 30 minutes as long as there isn't construction or a wreck. When that happens, forget driving....FLY. LOL.

I loved Tehachapi. Problem was, we were always going to Bakersfield to do stuff. I remember one day having to make the trip 3 times (due to poor planning and work related necessities). Now-a-days, it would cost an arm and a leg to do that.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info...someone told me there was a back road, part paved, part gravel, that went from BVS to Bakersfield. It looks like there is too, on Mapquest satellite view. Maybe going from Deertrail (the high mountain part) down west from BVS. Is that possible?
On the subject of BVS, how much are the additional taxes, real estate taxes, home owners fees, and water & sewage bills up there?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,946 times
Default Dear Trail..trail to the valley

To be honest, I never tried to drive over there. I had a friend that lived way up on Dear Trail and it took forever to get to his place. Very windy road. I've flown over the dirt road you heard about but it looks like it ends at a fence. To town is your best bet.

Sorry, no help on the financial questions.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Kitty:

There is a back road, but it is private. They didn't used to lock it when I was a kid, and we used the back road all the time, but it is frequently locked these days.

I don't have any details for you on the extra expenses involved in living in BVS, but in town, it is known for being where the "rich" people live. It ain't cheap. I can tell you that for sure. Here's a website for you... Bear Valley Springs , and here's the link to the BVS Association Bear Valley Springs Association - Bear Valley Springs - Paradise Found

I would recommend looking in Old Town... It's close to town, and not so expensive. Plus, lots of places with the other things you're looking for: trees, solitude, some space of your own. In fact... A home near my folks' place was for sale not too long ago, but it's a 2BR/2BA so they were having a hard time selling it. The area my parents live in is in 2 to 5 acre lots, tons of Blue Oak trees, solitude. Let me check to see if that house is still for sale. They don't have a home owners' association or anything like that, but their roads are private, and everyone in the area chips-in when they need to be repaired.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM

Riceme, I sent you a direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California