Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 15,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why would they have to teach gay or any marriage? They don't even have to teach regular marriage between 2 straight people let alone two homosexuals. That is the biggest lie and such BS...
Actually this is not BS you suggest that it is. This is a matter of case law.

Here is a quick definition: Case Law is the decisions, interpretations made by judges while deciding on the legal issues before them which are considered as the common law or as an aid for interpretation of a law in subsequent cases with similar conditions. Case laws are used by advocates to support their views to favor their clients and also it influence the decision of the judges.

The teaching of same sex relationships has become part of the curriculum in many Massachusetts public schools. This is because homosexual marriage is legal in that state. The case Parker vs. Lexington Public Schoola case was found in favor of the school. Consequently this case will be cited if a school decides to adopt pro-homosexual curriculum in California while gay marrige is legal. This in some degree takes the rights to raise and rear children from the parents and family and places it the hand of the school and the government.

Last edited by MyHumbleOpinion; 10-14-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHumbleOpinion View Post
Actually this is not BS you suggest that it is. This is a matter of case law.

Here is a quick definition: Case Law is the decisions, interpretations made by judges while deciding on the legal issues before them which are considered as the common law or as an aid for interpretation of a law in subsequent cases with similar conditions. Case laws are used by advocates to support their views to favor their clients and also it influence the decision of the judges.

The teaching of same sex relationships has become part of the curriculum in many Massachusetts public schools. This is because homosexual marriage is legal in that state. The case Parker vs. Lexington Public Schoola case was found in favor of the school this case will be cited if a school decides to adopt pro-homosexual curriculum in Californai. This in some degree takes the rights to raise and rear children from the parents and family and places it the hand of the school and the government.
Prop 8 mentions absolutely nothing about education. This is just another fear tactic. This isn't about children, it's about allowing two adults to marry each other. This doesn't take any right to raise one's children at all and doesn't mean there will be some "gay curriculum" in the schools. This doesn't take away any rights from parents at all but it does take away rights for certain people to marry.

I also find it very hypocritical that you don't want the govt taking away rights yet support a proposition that will do exactly that.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I also find it very hypocritical that you don't want the govt taking away rights yet support a proposition that will do exactly that.
I can appreciate your oppinion and respect that you feel that way. With all due respect I hope you realize that the focus of my post was to show that there is a precident for the teaching of gay marrige in public schools as a consequence of a gay marrige law being passed.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I can appreciate your oppinion and respect that you feel that way. With all due respect I hope you realize that the focus of my post was to show that there is a precident for the teaching of gay marrige in public schools as a consequence of a gay marrige law being passed.
fair enough, I can see where you are coming from. And after reading up on that case I can see why you are concerned. Although I don't feel that is the fault of gay marriage and there are many ways to prevent that situation from occuring. Honestly, SOME teachers are full of themselves and should not be teaching, I think that case was one of them. I don't think a teacher should be exposing kids that young to stuff like that period, whether it be straight couples or anyone. Save that stuff for when kids are older and are being taught sex-ed. But I can't support taking away the rights based off the actions of one dumb teacher.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
YES it does. Does it make it right that we allow blacks and whites to marry despite it being illegal and not accepted before? Just look at CIVIL RIGHTs and WOMENs RIGHT'S if you really don't understand this basic concept. Would you like to go back to the day where the woman's place was only in the kitchen/house or where blacks couldn't attend schools with whites?? It's called PROGRESS, something many for prop 8 are against. It just absolutely amazes me the amount of people in this country that want to move the country backwards.
Can you change the color of your skin? Can a man become a woman and a woman become a man? Not without surgery and even then it is only a cosmetic affect that is not real. No man that changed his body to make it look like a woman can concieve and have a baby. These are atributes that someone was born with. It is something that can not be changed other than cosmetically. Being attracted to the same sex is something that a person can change. God did not create individuals that go against his nature. We are all children of a Heavenly Father that loves us and wants us to return to live with him someday. At the same time living on this inperfect place all of us have our challenges that we face. Some have the challenge of overcoming addictions to drugs, alcohol, or any other substance. Some have sexual sins they are dealing with. That could be same sex attraction, or the desire to be with a child, or someone that has to have multiple sexual partners. Their are others that have anger problems that they deal with, maybe they beat the wife and or kids. This world we live in is not a perfect place. God still loves all of us. Does it make it right to lower our standards and say we will allow two men to get married because they love each other? Just because something is accepted doesn't make it right. The wordong in Prop 8 does not take any civil liberties away. A man can marry a woman if he chooses. Nothing is lost. No one is harmed by this, they have a choice. It is in no way the same as what African Americans went through in this nation. I can't believe that you can put the two issues in the same posting. That is an insult to the African American community. Stating that what people of color went through and saying that it is close to being the same thing is a big insult.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Save that stuff for when kids are older and are being taught sex-ed.
Agreed! I find it contardictary that a parent in Massachusetts has a legal right to have his or her child opt out of sex-ed classes but this father was sent to prison because he held a personal sit-in so he could have some say on what his child was taught regarding relationships. To make matters worse, a few days later the father's child was taken arround the corner at school and systematically beat up by a number of his class mates because of intollerance of his father's position.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
But I can't support taking away the rights based off the actions of one dumb teacher.
This is one of keys point of the issue. In the face of seperate entities competing for contradictary rights who will have priority. Parents who want to raise their children according to values they hold dear, or homosexuals who want to be married. It is a difficult decision and we who will go to the polls next month will have to rely on our personal values, hopefully some sound research, and appreciation for the plausible consequenses when we cast our vote.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Can you change the color of your skin? Can a man become a woman and a woman become a man? Not without surgery and even then it is only a cosmetic affect that is not real. No man that changed his body to make it look like a woman can concieve and have a baby. These are atributes that someone was born with. It is something that can not be changed other than cosmetically. Being attracted to the same sex is something that a person can change. God did not create individuals that go against his nature. We are all children of a Heavenly Father that loves us and wants us to return to live with him someday. At the same time living on this inperfect place all of us have our challenges that we face. Some have the challenge of overcoming addictions to drugs, alcohol, or any other substance. Some have sexual sins they are dealing with. That could be same sex attraction, or the desire to be with a child, or someone that has to have multiple sexual partners. Their are others that have anger problems that they deal with, maybe they beat the wife and or kids. This world we live in is not a perfect place. God still loves all of us. Does it make it right to lower our standards and say we will allow two men to get married because they love each other? Just because something is accepted doesn't make it right. The wordong in Prop 8 does not take any civil liberties away. A man can marry a woman if he chooses. Nothing is lost. No one is harmed by this, they have a choice. It is in no way the same as what African Americans went through in this nation. I can't believe that you can put the two issues in the same posting. That is an insult to the African American community. Stating that what people of color went through and saying that it is close to being the same thing is a big insult.
NO it can't!! That is the biggest lie ever. Show me REAL evidence of that ever occurring. People are born that way just like people are born black. It is so ignorant to actually tell yourself that is a choice. Has any gay person ever come out and said I "choose" to be gay? I've never heard one gay person say its a choice. If it was a choice then why do so many gay people remain in the closet? I'm sorry but you are really WRONG here on this issue, nothing you just said about homosexuality is true at all.

Yes it is very similar to what blacks went through. And CA was the first state to make sure blacks weren't stripped of the RIGHT to marry people of a different race.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
the corner at school and systematically beat up by a number of his class mates because of intollerance of his father's position.
that is actually not true, the kid got into a fight over a cafeteria seat. When I was looking up the case I read a Boston Globe article that said that.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,755,891 times
Quote:
NO it can't!! That is the biggest lie ever. Show me REAL evidence of that ever occurring. People are born that way just like people are born black. It is so ignorant to actually tell yourself that is a choice. Has any gay person ever come out and said I "choose" to be gay? I've never heard one gay person say its a choice. If it was a choice then why do so many gay people remain in the closet? I'm sorry but you are really WRONG here on this issue, nothing you just said about homosexuality is true at all.

Yes it is very similar to what blacks went through. And CA was the first state to make sure blacks weren't stripped of the RIGHT to marry people of a different race.
there is no proof either way. i know some women who are attracted to men and/or women depending on the mood and situation. bisexuality is rarely addressed when people bring up the "choice or born" discussion, but the fact is that there are people that choose one or the other or both based on their own needs, desires, and situations. others say they are born homosexual and have no choice in the matter. there is no way to definitively say either is 100% the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California