Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

1] Yes - speed train
2] Yes - animal rights
3] Yes - children's hospital
4] No - parent notification re: abortions
5] Yes - increased treatment for all drug offenders versus prison
6] ?
7] ?
8] No - bigot rights
9] Yes - notification to victims on parole hearings
10] Yes - hybrid rebates
11] Yes - impartial redistricting
12] Yes - veteran benefits

Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,100 times
NO on everything.

The initiative process in California has been hijacked by special interest groups. If these are such great ideas, why don't the legislature or governor take them on and try to get them passed the same way that hundreds of others pieces of legislation get passed?

Now the prison guards union is going to bankroll a ballot initiative to recall Schwarzenegger. Why? They don't like the way he is negotiating with them. We need to give these special interest groups a kick in the butt and start saying no. If the initiative process is costly and ineffective they'll back away.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Upon further inspection I think I'm going to vote yes on Prop 12. According to the Legislative Analyst, the Cal-Vet loan program is funded through state bonds, but those bonds have historically been repaid by the vets who get the loans, not your everyday taxpayers. I see nothing wrong with providing additional assistance to those who serve our country, especially when the fiscal impact is so low.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Upon further inspection I think I'm going to vote yes on Prop 12. According to the Legislative Analyst, the Cal-Vet loan program is funded through state bonds, but those bonds have historically been repaid by the vets who get the loans, not your everyday taxpayers. I see nothing wrong with providing additional assistance to those who serve our country, especially when the fiscal impact is so low.
If that's the case then that seems pretty reasonable to me and I would probably vote for it then.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
The LA Times had a good article about PROP 10 today. I was unsure about it but after what I've read I am voting against it. It will take 30 years to pay off a program that only runs for 10 years and isn't going to do much to help the state.
T. Boone Pickens backs Proposition 10, from which he would profit - Los Angeles Times

I think Prop 11 is the most important prop on the ballot and will have the greatest positive impact on our state out of all the current propositions by changing one of the many fundamental flaws that is wrong with CA. This LA Times article does a great job of explaining why we need it. Opposing Prop 11 just helps keep the idiots in power that get nothing done and help ruin the quality of life here.
Gerrymandering a key culprit in California budget mess - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Here's the bhcompy guide to voting on CA ballot measures.

Look at fiscal impact.
Does it cost more money than it generates?
-If yes, vote no.
-If no, weigh merits and vote accordingly.

If only everyone did the same thing we'd never be in a budget crisis.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The LA Times had a good article about PROP 10 today. I was unsure about it but after what I've read I am voting against it. It will take 30 years to pay off a program that only runs for 10 years and isn't going to do much to help the state.
T. Boone Pickens backs Proposition 10, from which he would profit - Los Angeles Times

I think Prop 11 is the most important prop on the ballot and will have the greatest positive impact on our state out of all the current propositions by changing one of the many fundamental flaws that is wrong with CA. This LA Times article does a great job of explaining why we need it. Opposing Prop 11 just helps keep the idiots in power that get nothing done and help ruin the quality of life here.
Gerrymandering a key culprit in California budget mess - Los Angeles Times
Thanks for those links! I think I agree with you regarding Prop 11. I looked at some district maps and the gerrymandering is rediculous!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I only found four that seem worthy of a yes vote.

4. Parents should be notified when there little girls are trying to have abortions. Parents should be notified for everything there little darlings are trying to do. If a kid doesn't want a legal guardian or parent to know then let them live in there own home and make their own rules.

8. Mariage is between a man and a woman. What other purpose is it for? My brother that has a problem with same sex attraction seems to feel the same way. But then he has a big problem with marriage anyway.

9. Yes

11. Yes. The remainder just don't seem to do anything other than take taxpayer money away from them.

Loved the one about funding for people to buy alternative fuel vehichles. If they are such a great idea why aren't people purchasing them without a govenrment incentive? Why should I pay for someone elses car?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
1 no It will not be self supporting

2 Yes Needed

3 No The money is already there and it is wasted

4 Yes It doesn't go far enough but it's a start

5 No limits courts

6 yes tougher penalties

7 No 20% is a ridiculous number to obtain

8 Yes I'm a bigot

9 yes Victims rights

10 No No help needed for the customer and there is enough wasted money on research

11 No waste of money

12 No there are benifits to help veterans to purchase a home

Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
8 Yes I'm a bigot
Must be lonely for you [bigotry in California is so passé\ so "Southern"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California