Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

It really boils down to what you like and how far you need to be from a large city. If you don't need to live near a larger city then go North of SF and you can find some great deals within an hour or less from the coast. Ukiah is a nice small town between Santa Rosa and Humboldt. A college friend of mine grew up there and really liked it.

If you need to be closer to a bigger city for work check out Sonoma, Petaluma, Livermore, Gilroy, Prundale, Hollister & Oak Hills.

We just moved from CO to Monterey with our 3 children and absolutely love living in the Monterey Peninsula. There is so much to see and do around here for families. I work in Seaside and some ppl drive in from as far as Tracy and San Jose. But I wouldn't want to commute that far. However Hollister, Prunedale and Oak Hills wouldn't be too bad. And Prunedale for example is like country living near the coast. You get a lot more land for your $$ there and prices have really fallen lately. Check out realtor.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 AM

17 posts, read 50,017 times
Guys {especially Snort!}
Thanks so much for the info...I'm going to Google all those places!
Maybe we can afford at least twee, if not chocolate box
Santa Cruz has been mentioned a few times...it's not that place with the pier and seaside tourist chotchky places is it?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 AM

17 posts, read 50,017 times
MtnSurfer!
Prunedale sounds really nice. Yes, I like countryside by the ocean rather than beachtown tourist resort. Somewhere sleepy and friendly but with a Wholefoods! I think somewhere north of SF sounds ideal so long as there's sunshine. A little beachy/sandy, not too rugged a coastline.
Sonoma is great but I think entering the HGTV Dreamhome Sweepstakes {the '09 Dreamhome is currently being built in Sonoma} would be the only way to afford it.
Ok, Google Earth awaits until it's roadtrip time!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smoot View Post
Yes, I like countryside by the ocean rather than beachtown tourist resort. Somewhere sleepy and friendly but with a Wholefoods!
Check out Watsonville, which is between Santa Cruz and Monterey and is only a couple of miles inland from the ocean. Watsonville is a farming town and I don't know if they have a Wholefoods store. Housing would be cheaper in Watsonville than in Santa Cruz or Monterey.

Santa Cruz is the town with a pier and a boardwalk amusement park.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smoot View Post
MtnSurfer!
Prunedale sounds really nice. Yes, I like countryside by the ocean rather than beachtown tourist resort. Somewhere sleepy and friendly but with a Wholefoods! I think somewhere north of SF sounds ideal so long as there's sunshine. A little beachy/sandy, not too rugged a coastline.
Yes, quite a few folks who work in Monterey look east for more affordable housing. Prunedale isn't really that far east - just far enough to get into the country and hills. Hollister is east of Prunedale and some say it is too far for a daily commute into Monterey. But then again some ppl commute in all the way from San Jose which is way too far for me.

In places like Prunedale, Oak Hills and other 'country' areas there really is no town. You will need to drive into town - its about 10 miles or so.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,385 times
There is a Whole Foods Market in Monterey in the Del Monte Shopping Center, but if living in Watsonville, one would be closer to Whole Foods in Santa Cruz.

Tim C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California